Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Driving up from 95, took beltway around to Maryland around 10am. Traffic was.light, HOT lanes were asking for $2.50 for entire route, which when empty, is too high. Around Tysons corner exits, multiple speed traps were set up by State Police. Couple cars (not semi trucks) were pulled over getting tickets. Traffic was moving at the same speed as regular 495. No idea why HOT lanes are not 65mph like 95 HOV. Why again would anyone pay top go through speed traps is beyond me. Regular 495 was moving well above 65. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Driving up from 95, took beltway around to Maryland around 10am. Traffic was.light, HOT lanes were asking for $2.50 for entire route, which when empty, is too high. Around Tysons corner exits, multiple speed traps were set up by State Police. Couple cars (not semi trucks) were pulled over getting tickets. Traffic was moving at the same speed as regular 495. No idea why HOT lanes are not 65mph like 95 HOV. Why again would anyone pay top go through speed traps is beyond me. Regular 495 was moving well above 65. Amazing.
Yeah I often wonder if they're shooting themselves in the foot in terms of revenue maximization.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
The cops see easy money there from those who can afford the Lexus lanes. I think it proves that they're out there for revenue generation. Why aren't they patrolling the regular lanes?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM

270 posts, read 908,933 times
I wonder if they were nabbing HOV cheaters, instead of speeders. Although, I did see the nailing an obvious speeder a few weeks ago.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Lightbulb HOT lanes not HOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
I wonder if they were nabbing HOV cheaters, instead of speeders. Although, I did see the nailing an obvious speeder a few weeks ago.
Anyone can travel in the HOT lanes. The police would not know who doesn't and who does have transponders. Not much else they could pull people over except speeding.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 27,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlily View Post
FYI, if you want a new EZ pass they cost money now. A new non-flex EZ pass is $.50/month and the flex EZ pass is $1/month. If you only use the flex EZ pass for HOV-3 purposes, they apparently don't charge you any fees. I have a old one (where you had to pay a $35 deposit) and they won't charge me a monthly fee until my old one breaks.
I'm not so sure about this. According to VDOT :: E-Z Answers, all accounts will get a monthly account maintenance fee. It doesn't specify new. Have you checked your account?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Anyone can travel in the HOT lanes. The police would not know who doesn't and who does have transponders. Not much else they could pull people over except speeding.
They can tell if you have the HOV switch turned on when you're using the Flex transponder. If it's on and you're the only one in the car, you're getting nabbed.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:58 PM

47 posts, read 77,961 times
I question how well they can tell - or do the cops just not really care? I ride the hot lanes when we're HOV3 - which includes my baby in the backseat. A super observent cop might be able to tell I have a car seat, but I seriously doubt they can see my kid in it. Or maybe they don't bother b/c they can see two people up front and assume they can't see the third?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Q: Couldn't drivers just buy an E-ZPass Flex and ride with fewer than three passengers for free?

A: Carpoolers must turn on the HOV mode on their E-ZPass transponders. Once they do that, they'll get special scrutiny both by police patrols in cars and by the multitude of cameras that are watching the road. Those authorities will be checking that you have the required three people in your car.

Frequently Asked Questions About the 495 Express Lanes | NBC4 Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia