U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,925,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I went to Whole Wallet once and felt like I was being mobbed, I could barely turn around without running into someone.

At Harris Teeter (at least the one on Glebe Road in Arlington) -- I felt like I was about to get tossed out for being insufficiently hip.
The one at Lee-Harrison is fantastic. In addition to the large surface lot, they have a huge, free parking garage underneath. And there's a Safeway across the street, so you can see what's on sale there too. (Although I generally think Safeway is pretty crappy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM

939 posts, read 1,602,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
LMAO. Go buy your groceries at Walmart and leave the fresh veggies and stuffed olives to the rest of us.
I suppose if you were any more than a troll account, you might actually take the time to read my post. If you did, you might understand that I'm pointing out that Whole Foods is run by those with "conservative" interests, which also align with places like Walmart. Both believe in screwing their employees, and I choose not to support either.

Of course, these comments come from the same person who is supposedly a hot shot executive, yet doesn't understand the difference between "to" and "too", while at the same time, thinking terminology such as "riffraff" is actually spelled "Rift Raft". When I see simple written mistakes such as those, it becomes immediately obvious that a person's grasp of a particular language comes only from the verbal spoken word, and not from ever doing any actual reading. Hence, you have heard people say "riffraff" in conversation, and being the ignorant troll you are, you just assumed it was spelled "rift raft", without ever questioning the etymology even though it made no sense (which you might be inclined to spell "cents" or "since").

Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM

755 posts, read 1,514,262 times
I personally like the selection of seafood and produce at Whole Foods, I can often find things there that I can't find in Giant or Safeway. I haven't shopped in Harris Teeter in a couple years, so I guess I wouldn't miss it if it becomes something else.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM

8,746 posts, read 10,658,166 times
harris teeter is one of the most urbanist friendly grocery chains around - from NoMa and Adams Morgan, to Pentagon City and Shirlington and Tysons, they have shown how to integrate a supermarket with high density living.

I hope whoever ends up owning them will cultivate this unique competence.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,184,164 times
There's a rumor that it might be Kroger buying them out down here in NC. I would welcome another grocery store (I would love for Wegman's to come down but don't think that will happen) as HT bought out all the Lowe's food stores (to try to compete w/ Publix) and I am surrounded. It's either HT or Walmart.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,821,788 times
I doubt it'll be Kroger, as they already have a footprint there and several failed locations throughout NC, including in the hotspot of Apex/Cary. I think it'll go private equity and liquidated in pieces. If it does, there are going to be quite a few construction projects here in DC that are going to be scrambling to backfill the space. I wouldn't call this news a game changer, but more like a series of ulcers waiting to happen for quite a few folks.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM

8,746 posts, read 10,658,166 times
"The Company was approached by two private equity firms who expressed an interest in purchasing the Company. In order to fulfill its duty to its shareholders to evaluate opportunities to increase shareholder value, the Company retained J.P. Morgan to assist it in conducting discussions with certain highly qualified parties. The Company intends to continue its strategic new store growth plan and maintain the employment of its associates in its stores, and its distribution and manufacturing facilities in Indian Trail, Greensboro, and High Point, North Carolina, as well as at its corporate headquarters in Matthews, North Carolina. "

Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM

96 posts, read 134,272 times
Below is a Press Release that Harris Teeter (HT) releases today on its web site concerning the media reports regarding possible selling of the company--enjoy!

Harris Teeter - Media Alerts and Press Releases (HT's site/info.)

According to my coupon forums, Publix has a division of their company set up in the Charlotte, NC area. Publix is a good company for people to work for from I have heard when we lived in Georgia (where we also originally are from).

Menmom1

Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM

3,149 posts, read 8,086,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menmom1 View Post
I think HT has overexpanded here in the N VA areas.
They're actually doing quite well here. It's in their home markets that they're starting to struggle.

It's not like they're in bankruptcy or anything. It would be surprising if whoever ends up buying them makes major changes.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM

3,149 posts, read 8,086,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Harris Teeter is perhaps the second most overrated grocery store, behind Whole Foods. Harris Teeter has no better selection, and only a slightly better prepared foods/deli section than your average Giant, but their prices are pretty steep.
The Harris Teeters I've been in are newer, better laid-out, bigger, and cleaner than the Giants I've been in. And Giant isn't open 24/7.

Quote:
Now for number 1 in my book, Whole Foods deserves to go out of business. Disgusting corporate politics and business practices that are likely in contrast to 95% of their customers ideals (if any of them bothered to actually research where their money were going), and they manage to jack up prices of mediocre food to insane levels because people somehow believe it's "healthier". The Whole Foods management has pulled the second greatest deception in the world (behind the devil convincing the world it doesn't exist): They have managed to convince a progressive, environmentally conscious customer base that they are some how in line with their ideals, when in fact it might as well be the Fox News Cafeteria.
Mackey's more of a libertarian than a conservative, but I find it hilarious that so many liberals have lined up to give him their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia