U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM

968 posts, read 1,441,346 times

Advertisements

I'll pass on the MS15 for the illustrious MST3K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Wealthy or affluent people do not use public transportation. Most criminals come from the lower classes. Lower class people use public transportation. See how that works.
Wow, I had no idea I was lower class. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I will now be sure to illegally obtain a gun so I can steal things from you and pawn them for booze money.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Your theory certainly doesn't jive with localized real estate values. The price of a moderate two bedroom condo near the metro in Virginia will buy you a mansion in Ashburn.
Well, depends on which metro stop. There's some older, 2-bedroom condos near the Huntington metro that are under 200K, while along the Ballston-Rosslyn line you'll find stuff between $400-600K.

So I get your point, but "mansion" might be a bit of a stretch, lol. You're still looking at $800K+ for a big new home in Ashburn.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Wealthy or affluent people do not use public transportation. Most criminals come from the lower classes. Lower class people use public transportation. See how that works.
I'm sure you'll think this backs up your assertion but I happen to know of a guy who rode public transportation just about every day for years but had to stop when he got elected Vice President.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
hes too elite to worry about MS13, so he worries about MS15.

Soon he will worry about MSES.
I bet he's afraid MSNBC is going to come after him.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,959,179 times
Quote:
So which metro line do you typically catch?!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
Quote:
From Wikipedia:

"In 1989, after having spent nearly $6.7 million of Berkshire's funds on a private jet, Buffett sheepishly named it "The Indefensible". This act was a break from his past condemnation of extravagant purchases by other CEOs and his history of using more public transportation.[77]

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
you need to 'dumb' down the speech to make it believable
This is Northern Virginia, where even our criminals possess a higher class of critical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL loving it. And don't forget to add Omar and Jose's buddy Sam, who gets a herniated disc at the metro stop after doing his smash and grab and then carrying a couple of big screen tvs the several blocks you have to walk from the mall and then climbing the steps up to the train station. And then waiting and waiting for the train.
LOL. Sadly, Sam ended up losing one of the big screen TVs when another Metro rider tripped over it. I'll have to remember these characters for future moral panics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
This may be more true in other metropolitan areas - especially those that are relatively more car-dependent - but not so much in the DC area or specifically NOVA.

One will find people from all walks of life riding the Metrorail. In fact, if I understand correctly, the Metrorail was originally designed to bring in suburban commuters to the city. The infill of city stations happened later.

There are also numerous local and express buses across NOVA that cater to white-collar communities. Then there is the VRE...

If anything, the mall at Pentagon City may lose a few customers as shoppers decide to take advantage of the improved rail access to Tysons.
Metrorail, no. No way can you say that's poor people transportation.

OTOH, Metrobus is a mixed bag. I rode the 16 series buses for a few years going from Glebe/Columbia Pike to the Pentagon. I noticed west of Courthouse, I was the only melanin-deficient person on the bus about 2/3 of the time. Not sure if that has changed since 2002 or not ... but I'm sure many buses are like that still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'll pass on the MS15 for the illustrious MST3K

Wow, I had no idea I was lower class. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I will now be sure to illegally obtain a gun so I can steal things from you and pawn them for booze money.
Excellent. I am sure Omar, Jose, and Sam would love to have you join them on their adventures; or maybe Billy and Dave are more your speed.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
Smash and grabs in Chevy Chase?? Chevy Chase??? Now, that's something new to me, but I think it's more hysteria with respect to shoplifting, i.e., no smashing involved, just grabbing. If the situation were so dire, the shops would have security as mandated by the insurance company. As it is, if a smash and grab occurs, the store is insured, so when the cost of hiring security exceeds the losses in insurance deductibles, they will pay for security. Or, if the insurance company mandates it, such as at a high-end jeweler, but I have honestly never heard/seen anything with respect to smash and grab being an epidemic in Chevy Chase, such that I cannot see the same stores falling victim to the practice in Tysons Corner.

With the recent Pentagon City smash and grab, I could not understand why they would knock over a Zales. I mean they could hone their craft and become more sophisticated criminals where they could score more in one job a la a Neil Caffrey, to borrow a character from a USA show, as opposed to having to fence a couple of dozen rings for $128k in stated retail value from Zales. Maybe they could get enough to buy a new getaway car and some new disguises with the proceeds.

Oh, and the thought of a criminal arriving at the mall, knocking over the jewelry store, and then stealing a car is hilarious. I would venture that even the less intellectually gifted criminals would know to have arranged their return transportation before embarking on their adventure, such as stealing a car on site -- that would attract no attention, would it?

Seriously, Tysons Corner is not going to turn into an area with gang turf battles, roving smash and grab gangs, car thieves, and all sorts of teenagers up to no good hanging around at The Galleria and Fairfax Square. Even Tysons I would pose challenges as there are too many families and suburbanites around so as to make criminal elements uncomfortable. This is Northern Virginia where nearly everyone's armed with a smart phone to take pictures and video of a subject engaged in the commission of a crime, such that the criminals would be apprehended quickly as people would immediately forward the video or stills to the police and news desks of major news outlets. Not to mention, the getaway would be hampered by traffic at many times during the day, unless the criminal gangs were to spring for the Express Lanes on the Beltway for the getaway car.

This is the same old tale that Georgetown doesn't have a Metro because the residents didn't want to open it up to the rest of the city. And, it's not true -- that's an urban myth. For some reason, I remember the old Country Road Australia on Prospect at Wisconsin having a security guard at/near the door, but it must have been to deter shoplifting and to protect the till, since it was a moderate sportswear retailer that did a good volume of business at that location. The Pentagon City store did not have security, probably because it was in the mall versus a street entrance.

Classical music also keeps groups of youth who may or may not be up to any good from standing in an area for too long. The Galleria sometimes has classical music wafting through the mall, as does Nordstrom in Tysons I. Perhaps the mall can host classical musical recitals in various wings to keep the gangs at bay. I forget where I read that tidbit, but I do recall that it was put into use outside convenience stores where youth who may or may not be up to anything good tended to congregate and loiter.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 10,677,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I rode the 16 series buses for a few years going from Glebe/Columbia Pike to the Pentagon. I noticed west of Courthouse, I was the only melanin-deficient person on the bus about 2/3 of the time. Not sure if that has changed since 2002 or not ... but I'm sure many buses are like that still.

Living in bike unfriendly annandale, and enjoying riding in bike friendly arlington and DC, from time to time I ride the 16 bus to the pentagon on a weekend, using the bus bike rack to transport my bike.

From annandale to past baileys I am usually the only person who is "melanin challenged". past Walter Reed or so, typically one or two young melanin challenged folks will board (sans bicycles).

For those who think street cars are needed to get the melanin challenged to overcome "bus stigma", take that as you will.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM

691 posts, read 662,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Yeah, no. Not in big, transit-rich cities like New York, D.C., London, Tokyo, Moscow, shall I go on?

I think this conversation is about Northern Virginia and the people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia