U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:07 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,854,151 times

Advertisements

And why? Please elaborate on your answer and provide an explanation too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM

181 posts, read 370,572 times
From a distance, San Jose, California. Similar demographics. Up close, though, San Jose has engineers, and NoVa has "IT Guys," and the former do not want to be referred to as the latter. There might be areas of NJ or Connecticut that are similar also.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,854,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
From a distance, San Jose, California. Similar demographics. Up close, though, San Jose has engineers, and NoVa has "IT Guys," and the former do not want to be referred to as the latter. There might be areas of NJ or Connecticut that are similar also.
Do you find the demographics of San Jose to be that similar to those of NoVA?

Politically the two regions are very different (our more "purple," theirs heavily "blue"). I think culturally the two are pretty divergent too (we have high church attendance, high fertility, etc.). There are very different "vibes" to the two regions, no?

I agree both regions have relatively high percentages of Asian populations, high tech environments, economically dynamic (for different reasons), but I think the similarities end there.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,107,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post

Politically the two regions are very different (our more "purple," theirs heavily "blue"). I think culturally the two are pretty divergent too (we have high church attendance, high fertility, etc.). There are very different "vibes" to the two regions, no?

I agree both regions have relatively high percentages of Asian populations, high tech environments, economically dynamic (for different reasons), but I think the similarities end there.
This area is more culturally conservative (in terms of things like food, music, art and fashion) than the South Bay. Can you imagine NoVAns at Burning Man? They'd be afraid of jeopardizing their security clearances.

Irvine, CA would be a closer match demographically. Lots of well educate two income professional famiies. It has a sizeable Asian population.

ILD - this was an awesome idea for a thread.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-16-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,289,368 times
Columbia, MD seems the closest that I've ever been to. Heavily white well educated population, very expensive, completely homogenized, purplish leaning blue politics.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 AM

504 posts, read 653,595 times
I agree with Irvine for the reasons mentioned earlier. Maybe even OC as a whole, minus the beaches.

I get the NoVA vibe in Columbia, MD too, but I feel it doesn't have the international flavor of this side of the river.

Du Page county outside Chicago reminds me somewhat of Fairfax county. I think it's because of the sprawl, good schools, mass affluance, and purple politics. Although, the demographics are somewhat different and Du Page has more pockets of poverty than Fairfax.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,440,959 times
I agree about Columbia, MD which could also debated as part of the metro area since it is in the same CSA, but definitely Silicon Valley area. Educated, diverse, full of tech jobs, very suburban and expensive. Both are near internationally known cities such as San Francisco and Washington, DC.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,239,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
I agree with Irvine for the reasons mentioned earlier. Maybe even OC as a whole, minus the beaches.

I get the NoVA vibe in Columbia, MD too, but I feel it doesn't have the international flavor of this side of the river.

Du Page county outside Chicago reminds me somewhat of Fairfax county. I think it's because of the sprawl, good schools, mass affluance, and purple politics. Although, the demographics are somewhat different and Du Page has more pockets of poverty than Fairfax.
I would agree with DuPage Co. IL. I disagree with the "pockets of poverty" though; Glendale Heights is probably the least affluent town in the county, but is much more affluent than Santa Ana, Stanton and Garden Grove in OC, which has become over time diverse in race and affluence terms of the north county and the south county.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM

132 posts, read 287,088 times
Quote:

NoVA is not purple but solidly blue. The entire state of Virginia is purple. As more young people move to this area for jobs, you can only assume the church attendance and fertility rate going down. It appears a lot of Northeaster and Californians migrated to this area in the last decade. San Jose or West Chester, NY or Cambridge, MA would be my guesses.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,239,303 times
Lightbulb San Antonio

Quote:
And why? Please elaborate on your answer and provide an explanation too.
San Antonio is similiar in a lot of ways with heavy influence of DOD but obviously much smaller city (1.5million). Workforce

The San Antonio Military Health System (SAMHS) oversees the healthcare for nearly 1/4 million DOD members. Multiple military installations there are increasing in size, the home base for USAA (25k workers and in an area that covers more acreage than most campuses), and there are numerous colleges throughout the city.

There are pockets of heavy traffic with frequent jams on the North, Northeast, and Northwest side of the city and most workers commute during the first shift to ensure that traffic jams are frequent.

Another similarity between NOVA and San Antonio is the restrictive traffic patterns. The 'green spaces' between neighborhoods force all the traffic onto a few access roads through the area. Try traveling from Springfield to Arlington and NOT use 395. Van Dorn and Backlick are your only alternatives to 'crossing' 495. That's crazy. In San Antonio there are COMPLETED roads that have guardrails put in them to stop traffic from traveling through certain areas; which are not neighborhoods.

Both Reagan and San Antonio airports are very close to downtown making quick departures an option. Parking at San Antonio is very reasonable where as Reagan....

Both cities have annoying traffic cameras but DC has way more. Common complaints are against government 'charges'; both have high property taxes. In San Antonio the complaint is rising water costs SAWS expects rates rising for next 5 years - San Antonio Express-News and in NOVA it's electricity Dominion Power raises fees in Virginia | TBD.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia