U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

98 posts, read 160,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
15 minutes from blue line? During rush hours without the slug line?

During morning rush hour 7-9 maybe 30 mins or so. I have made it to Springfield metro coming from north route 1 woodbridge in 15 mins when I leave my house at 6am, if your coming from other areas of woodbridge like dale city or the top portion of woodbridge of course it's gonna take longer that 15 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 AM

486 posts, read 735,541 times
what do you expect..... this is a NORTHERN VIRGINIA forum.......of course there going to say Woodbridge over Gaitherburg........when overall Gaitherburg is so much Better......In Gaitherburg you have Orchard Pond, Parkland, Hidden Creek, and few other that are excellent areas......But let Northern Virginia sell you on WOODBRIDGE.......

Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
what do you expect..... this is a NORTHERN VIRGINIA forum.......of course there going to say Woodbridge over Gaitherburg........when overall Gaitherburg is so much Better......In Gaitherburg you have Orchard Pond, Parkland, Hidden Creek, and few other that are excellent areas......But let Northern Virginia sell you on WOODBRIDGE.......

Really? This is what you come in here for? It appears to me that some of the people here are familiar with BOTH locations? Is their endorsement of Woodbridge wrong if they know both locations? I could really care one way or the other where the OP moves but I believe they are getting some decent info on here. Why are you taking it so personal?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,079 times
Quote:
MrMD clearly exhibits an unbiased opinion, just don't trust those Northern Virginians! I guess we all just need to move to "Gaitherburg" then. Where is that exactly?

IMO they are pretty similar, both have "shady" areas and nicer areas. Both are pretty far out but with reasonable commuting alternatives. Both have good shopping and recreation available. Housing in Woodbridge is probably cheaper generally but Gaithersburg won't be far off. I suggest you check out houses in both areas in your price range and commute times to work from the exact neighborhoods you like and go from there.

Last edited by bornindc; 02-20-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times
Quote:
I agree with you, that asking this question in a Northern VA forum would probably bring out some bias, but given your screen name, I don't really see how your opinion would be any less bias.

I know certain parts of MoCo, but not Gaithersburg, so let me ask you, how many of those places that you named are in the OPs price range?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM

35 posts, read 53,239 times
If you're driving, both cities are terrible getting in to DC. Gaithersburg has the red line you can get on at Shady Grove but parking is a nightmare and the garage WILL be full by 7:30AM, latest! I honestly don't know Woodbrige that well so can't comment on the neighborhood. Most of Gaithersburg is nice. Generally, stay West of I-270 and you'll be fine. You can get a nice condo for $200-300k in Gaithersburg. Gaithersburg has an urban-wannabe feel to it. There's a Whole Foods in the Kentlands (upscale suburban neighborhood) and other nice restaurants. Both cities, tend to more family oriented. If you're single, seriously, stay in the city or close in burbs like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Alexandria, McLean, and rent.

Gaithersburg tends to be a bit more liberal than Woodbridge but overall both are pretty blue areas. Both are very diverse but Gaithersburg tends to be more diverse than Woodbridge.

Also, think 2x before buying a condo in this area. Salaries tend to be VERY high in the DC area... and these professionally successful folks snub their noses at condo living. It's much harder to sell a condo in the DC area, unless you're in the city, than a townhouse or single family home.

Anyway, just my $0.02. I've lived in MD my entire life except for grad school in Chicago and several other cities like Boston and ATL.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM

42 posts, read 65,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
None of my answers to your question matters, because they can change in a matter of few years. For example, I could work near the blue line now, but that change change in a couple of years to the red line or vice versa.

Why are you picking Woodbridge over Gaithersburg?

Slugging is not appealing to me because 1) riding with a stranger for two hours a day is not appealing; and 2) depending on a ride from a stranger make me uneasy.
I don't know Gaithersburg, but I can speak for Woodbridge/Lake Ridge after living there and commuting to DC for 4 years.

I'd like to address slugging if you aren't too familiar with it. I will admit that I was pretty leery of it in the beginning but after realizing the beauty of the sytem, I find it very organized and mutually beneficial to everyone. There are literally thousands of people that do it every workday, myself included. I have been a slug, but more often picked up slugs. I have not heard of any safety or crime concerns at all. The most annoying thing could be if the slug talks or listens to their music too loud or snores. But then again, that is against the etiquettes of slugging Etiquette and Rules of Slug Lines

I think Woodbridge is ideal for commuting because of the sheer number of options. Woodbridge is a very popular area, so there is a good chance you can find a car/vanpool to your work. Or if you desire to be one of the many slugs, there is always a ride. For some reason, if you found yourself needing to stay late at work and not able to ride back with your car/vanpool, you can always go to one of the sluglines and catch a ride back to the commuter parking lot (Horner Rd is a very popular one). If you are working really late, you can catch the metro to the Pentagon, where they have a steady stream of commuter buses that will take you directly to the Horner Rd lot. This works the other way as well (from Woodbridge to DC). I guess what I am saying is that you will never be stranded if you live in Woodbridge.

Even if you decide to live somewhere other than Gaithersburg or Woodbridge, I would definitely recommend living somewhere convenient to a commuter parking lot.

Whatever you do, I do not recommend being one of those people who subject themselves to driving by themselves everyday. When I drove in the HOV lanes going 65 mph and seeing people not moving in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to ask myself what they are thinking. They easily add an extra hour of stress to their commute (each way) .

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 PM

301 posts, read 585,408 times
I am from VA. I love VA. But I would definitely choose Gaithersburg over Woodbridge. I might catch cr@p for this but the two places I wouldn't want to live in NOVA are Manassas and Woodbridge. Gaithersburg is pretty nice and is closer to DC. I am familiar with Gaithersburg b/c I work in Rockville, have relatives in Germantown, and have friends who live in Gaithersburg. As much as I'd rather live in VA than MD in general, I would NOT choose Woodbridge over Gaithersburg.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
I am from VA. I love VA. But I would definitely choose Gaithersburg over Woodbridge. I might catch cr@p for this but the two places I wouldn't want to live in NOVA are Manassas and Woodbridge. Gaithersburg is pretty nice and is closer to DC. I am familiar with Gaithersburg b/c I work in Rockville, have relatives in Germantown, and have friends who live in Gaithersburg. As much as I'd rather live in VA than MD in general, I would NOT choose Woodbridge over Gaithersburg.
But why? You didn't say why you would choose Gaithersburg over Woodbridge.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM

14,653 posts, read 10,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
Why? We love living in Woodbridge. It has convenient access to all types of commuting, relatively cheap housing for the area, plenty of places to eat, great shopping, good schools, low taxes for the area, and seems to be friendly overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia