U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why? We love living in Woodbridge. It has convenient access to all types of commuting, relatively cheap housing for the area, plenty of places to eat, great shopping, good schools, low taxes for the area, and seems to be friendly overall.

I think it's perfectly fine that people how dissenting opinions about an area. But, on this type of forum in particular, I think it's a good idea to articulate what is you don't like about an area so that people who are doing some sort of comparison can take dissenting opinions and the reasons for them in a constructive manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM

301 posts, read 587,689 times
I wouldn't want to live in Woodbridge or Manassas b/c when I think of those areas, I think of the white trash and ghetto factors. I think of more crime. I know there are some very nice areas and homes within these two cities, but I'm just giving my overall general impression. Prince William County (primarily Woodbridge and especially Manassas) is the equivalent to PG County of MD in my view...I think most MD residents would prefer to live in MoCo or Howard County just as most people in NOVA would prefer to live in Fairfax or Loudoun (that's my impression at least). Not trying to offend anyone...it's just my opinion.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,390,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
Whatever you do, I do not recommend being one of those people who subject themselves to driving by themselves everyday. When I drove in the HOV lanes going 65 mph and seeing people not moving in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to ask myself what they are thinking. They easily add an extra hour of stress to their commute (each way) .

Good luck with your decision.
It's not that bad. Granted, I don't commute all the way into DC (I'm Lake Ridge to Alexandria). And being able to handle it depends on one's personality. It's not ideal, but I don't really mind the commute. I just turn up the radio and go (or stop and go ). My husband would go ballistic if he had to drive in the main lanes every day.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,643,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
I wouldn't want to live in Woodbridge or Manassas b/c when I think of those areas, I think of the white trash and ghetto factors. I think of more crime. I know there are some very nice areas and homes within these two cities, but I'm just giving my overall general impression. Prince William County (primarily Woodbridge and especially Manassas) is the equivalent to PG County of MD in my view...I think most MD residents would prefer to live in MoCo or Howard County just as most people in NOVA would prefer to live in Fairfax or Loudoun (that's my impression at least). Not trying to offend anyone...it's just my opinion.
I completely disagree and I've lived in both Prince George's County and Prince William County. In Prince William County, I've lived in Woodbridge and Manassas, and I at least agree that there are some not so nice parts, but there are a lot of really nice parts. To be honest, Montgomery County has more crime than PWC and it really stems from the fact that it is a much more densely populated place but it also has a lot of crime around borders.

As far as Woodbridge and Manassas being like PG County.....have you lived in PG County? PG County schools are not really good, the worse areas in PG have about 3-4 times more crime than the worst areas in Woodbridge/Manassas and the Woodbridge/Manassas area is way, way more diverse than PG, and PG has some parts that are way more urban (infrastructure) than anything in Prince William. They are similar socio-economically, but the lifestyle between the two places is much different. I do agree though that if people HAD A CHOICE, they would likely choose Fairfax over Loudoun, but for a lot of people the price range in those places aren't realistic which is why Prince William gets consideration in this discussion.

Here goes some statistics from neighborhoodscout.com about crime:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedGaithersburg:
3.01 out of 1000 chance of being a victim of a violent crime
23.02 out of 1000 chance of being a victim of property crime
154 crimes per square mile

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedWoodbridge(Marumsco Acres/Featherstone, which is arguably the worse part):
1.89 out of 1000 chance of being a victim of a violent crime
22.48 out of 1000 chance of being a victim of property crime
47 crimes per square mile

Last edited by Yac; 03-12-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM

687 posts, read 1,131,158 times
The problem with all these generalization is that the different areas of Woodbridge are night and day. Lake Ridge is as nice as any middle income neighborhood in Fairfax or Montgomery Counties. Route 1 on the other hand is really rundown and poorer.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times
I hate to "invalidate" anyone's perception of a certain area. If yolli feels it's ghetto, then the perception is true for yolli.

I would agree that Manassas and Woodbridge are probably the least pleasing areas of PWC. They are the oldest and most densely populated. They are the most economically diverse. I mean, where can you get a 1,000 sq. foot "starter" home built in the 1960s anymore? Lower income people flock to that.

That said, I also lived in PG County for 30 years. The areas are really night and day.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM

23 posts, read 44,624 times
Both have commuting options to D.C....I agree with another poster in this forum; it comes down to politics. If you are moderate to conservative and favor lower property taxes, you would choose Woodbridge. If your politics are more to the left and you don't mind paying higher taxes, then Gaithersburg would work for you. Demographics wise, there is very little difference between the communities. Both have their share of nice and undesirable neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia