U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,408,232 times

Advertisements

Assuming the budget is $250,000 to $300,000, and work is in DC, which location is a better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

968 posts, read 1,448,161 times
I can't speak to Gaithersburg, but I recently lived in Woodbridge, and $300k will get you a pretty nice townhouse in Lake Ridge right now. I know Woodbridge is also great if you're interested in slugging into the city.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,900,305 times
The commute will be tough from both locations unless you work off hours. I was a police officer for 30 years in Woodbridge and there was a time I would have said to not move there. But Woodbridge has slowly been changing over the years and there are some nice areas there. You still have some communities I'd avoid like the plague but overall things are much better. But no matter what--I95 and the beltway sucks during rush hours.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The commute will be tough from both locations unless you work off hours.
What if you take the VRE?

Quote:
I was a police officer for 30 years in Woodbridge and there was a time I would have said to not move there. But Woodbridge has slowly been changing over the years and there are some nice areas there. You still have some communities I'd avoid like the plague but overall things are much better. But no matter what--I95 and the beltway sucks during rush hours.
Has the demographic change much over the years? Will it even get better in the upcoming years?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,236,786 times
Lightbulb Commuting Options = many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
What if you take the VRE? ?
The VRE has a station in Woodbridge and is easy to get to as it is near major roads = I-95/US-1 and not embedded into neighborhoods. General Schedule Information - VRE
For someone that lives in Lake Ridge going to Crystal City, Pentagon, or L'enfant, an hour is a good planning estimate during normal rush hours.

Part of "western" Woodbridge is Lake Ridge (zip 22192) and the slugging options from Tacket's Mill and Horner are wonderful options as are the PRTC regional busses that roll through the Lake Ridge neighborhood picking people up at their driveway (figuratively - and it's $5 each way) OmniRide Lake Ridge-Pentagon & Crystal City AM Schedule

I can't imagine the daily trip for those that attempt to travel in non-HOV lanes down I-95 after 3:30pm. It's very predictable with heavy traffic and there are so many alternative options.

Can't speak to the level of where crime was in Woodbridge twenty years ago.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,873,749 times
Quote:
Assuming the budget is $250,000 to $300,000, and work is in DC, which location is a better choice?
Where are family and friends?
Where do you currently socialize?
Are schools a factor?
If you're a big gun owner, you'll want VA, if you're a big liberal, you'll want MD.

Woodbridge has slugging pretty well down to an Art. It also has VRE.

G'burg has MARC.

Which Metro line is your work on (or where is your work?) If your work is in uppermost NW DC, or along the Red Line, then G'burg gets the edge. If your work is downtown or along the Blue/Yellow Lines, then Woodbridge gets the edge.

All else being equal and not knowing the answers to these questions I'd pick Woodbridge over Gaithersburg.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Where are family and friends?
Where do you currently socialize?
Are schools a factor?
If you're a big gun owner, you'll want VA, if you're a big liberal, you'll want MD.

Woodbridge has slugging pretty well down to an Art. It also has VRE.

G'burg has MARC.

Which Metro line is your work on (or where is your work?) If your work is in uppermost NW DC, or along the Red Line, then G'burg gets the edge. If your work is downtown or along the Blue/Yellow Lines, then Woodbridge gets the edge.

All else being equal and not knowing the answers to these questions I'd pick Woodbridge over Gaithersburg.
None of my answers to your question matters, because they can change in a matter of few years. For example, I could work near the blue line now, but that change change in a couple of years to the red line or vice versa.

Why are you picking Woodbridge over Gaithersburg?

Slugging is not appealing to me because 1) riding with a stranger for two hours a day is not appealing; and 2) depending on a ride from a stranger make me uneasy.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM

98 posts, read 161,582 times
Quote:

Woodbridge..Why?

-More home for your money
-Easier to resell or rent your home if you need to relocate
-Quantico is right there which makes it easy to rent or sell
-Lower property taxes
-Slugging option
-VRE option
-15 mintues from Blue line Metro
-Access to 95

Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM

15 minutes from blue line? During rush hours without the slug line?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,900,305 times
Quote:
15 minutes from blue line? During rush hours without the slug line?
The Blue Line is definitely not 15 minutes from Woodbridge. Not sure where Mr. Benz got that number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia