U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,233 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I moved from Norfolk, Va to Herndon, Va, and have a job in Arlington. I've been in the military my entire professional life, and really the only traffic I ever dealt with was in Norfolk, I lived 5 minutes from base and would have to leave an hour early jut to make it on my ship in time.

Well now I'm out, I got a nice job up in Arlington. I'm not sure when I should leave or what's the best route to take. I use WAZE as my GPS, and that tends to help with avoiding toll roads and avoiding traffic if possible at times. I've heard the bus is a good way to go, but, honestly, I'd rather drive myself there (I don't so much trust a bus system or a train or anything like that where I have the potential of being a victim of some punk's idea of a good way to make money lol)

I have to be in work at 8am....I'm thinking it takes, without traffic, about 30-45 minutes to make it to Arlington. So I'm thinking I should leave around 6 am to get there on time? I'm not sure.....

Also, as far as parking....Is there any free ways to park? The building I work at has a parking garage next to it, but it's like $8 a DAY!! that's crazy, that's like $250 a MONTH just for parking.

I'm open to new ideas, even if I previously wasn't or anything, but I'd like to get some good info on this if at all possible. Thanks everyone!

-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,985,599 times
Congrats on the job. Where generally in Arlington is it? Ballston, C. City, etc.?

FYI, the bus/subway system here is very safe. Everyone uses it. During rush hour it's office workers mostly, plus maybe a few housekeepers.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM

I'll have to check out the busses then I suppose. I'm working in the Rosslyn area.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM

504 posts, read 653,781 times
I'd take the google maps time estimate and triple it if you want to be super conservative during rush hour. Probably will only take you an hour or so most days though. It definietly does not take 2 hrs to go from Herndon to Arlington, even during rush hour.

As far as parking goes, check and see if there are any deals for a monthly rate. That can be cheaper than paying the daily rate every day. Your company might also have a deal someplace where you can get cheaper parking. If that fails, there may still be cheaper garages around that you can find. Although $7-$8/day or $100-$110/mo is probably the lowest rate you'll see in Arlington. Also keep in mind you'll only be parking at work only about 20 days/mo on average so worse case your expenses will be ~$160/mo.

Agree with the comment on the buses and trains here being very safe for commuters.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,985,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneric View Post
I'll have to check out the busses then I suppose. I'm working in the Rosslyn area.
Rosslyn will be very tough to find free parking in--almost impossible, in fact. But $8/day is actually a pretty low daily rate. (As Shamrock said, you could get it cheaper if you pay by month.)

I think the bus or train will be your best option. There are three Metrorail lines that go through there--yellow, blue, and orange. If you're living way out west, in Loudoun or Western Fairfax, there are commuter buses.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM

25 posts, read 35,586 times
Congrats! and welcome to the area. Parking your car in Herndon Monroe park and ride and taking the bus to West Falls church metro station and then the metro to Arlington, is an option available.

I know quite a few folks that do that.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,542,541 times
I agree with Noblespine's recommendation of parking at the Herndon Monroe park and ride (free) and taking the bus to WFC - one runs every 6 minutes during rush hour.
Route 980: Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride*- Fairfax County, Virginia

The bus/train trip should take about 45 minutes.

Last edited by JfromReston; 02-18-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM

this might sound like a dumb question, but....I've never ridden a bus before either. do I have to pay? how much and how do I pay?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,154,836 times
$8 x 20 (that's about the amount of days you work per month unless you work 7 days a week) is $160 month. That's really not a bad rate for parking.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,542,541 times
Here for Bus Fares
Fairfax Connector Fares and Transfers*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Get a Smart Trip Card
Metro - Fares - SmarTrip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia