Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,984,826 times

Advertisements

ok, this may not be NoVA specific, but I've never seen it before and have now seen it three times in the past two weeks. When using the "Exact Change" toll lanes (and let's not even get into the discussion on why people don't have transponders) doesn't everyone know that it isn't like a vending machine? You do not need to throw coins one at a time in the basket. Throw them all in,and they all get counted.

Has anyone else noticed this ridiculousness? I sat behind someone who literally threw about 200 nickles. One at a time. At first, I thought she was just digging around to find more (another pet peeve), but, no. She had them all there, and just threw them one at a time. Nickle, wait, nickel, wait....and on and on.

What's with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,911,597 times
I haven't really witnessed that...but sometimes things get caught. I know on more occassions than I can count, people have put dollar bills instead of change like you are supposed to and it gets caught at the bottom. Then, it prevents change from making it into the counter and you end up with a nice discrepancy and possible ticket. I know that I am more careful now when I do encounter exact change only lanes because of it. But, I haven't ever thought of emptying the piggy bank and placing tons of nickels there! I just know that it was a rude awakening when I took my car into service and had to borrow a loaner and all of a sudden had to use change. It really is a pain.

Maybe they hire those people to ensure that the people behind them buy passes due to the long wait?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM

979 posts, read 1,766,725 times
I don't have an EZ pass since I never had a need to take the DTR, and I got caught once because my GPS took me that way, and I don't ever carry any kind of cash/change. What a pain in the ass to have a toll with no human to help me figure out what to do. I hate those exact change things. I intentionally avoid the DTR at all costs now.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,149,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I don't have an EZ pass since I never had a need to take the DTR, and I got caught once because my GPS took me that way, and I don't ever carry any kind of cash/change. What a pain in the ass to have a toll with no human to help me figure out what to do. I hate those exact change things. I intentionally avoid the DTR at all costs now.

You should get a transponder anyway. They don't cost anything. They are great when I travel to the Outer Banks, Charleston WV, and Pittsburgh PA. The same transponder works for all those toll roads.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
What a pain in the ass to have a toll with no human to help me figure out what to do.
Figure out what to do? Throw the change in the bucket. Not complicated.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I know on more occassions than I can count, people have put dollar bills instead of change like you are supposed to and it gets caught at the bottom. Then, it prevents change from making it into the counter and you end up with a nice discrepancy and possible ticket. I know that I am more careful now when I do encounter exact change only lanes because of it.
I won't even begin to comment on people who put paper money in the basket, but let's say there is a dollar there and it will block your change. It's still going to block your change whether you throw it one coin at a time or all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I I just know that it was a rude awakening when I took my car into service and had to borrow a loaner and all of a sudden had to use change. It really is a pain.
Exactly the same reason I was in the "Exact Change" lanes. I think they were created because someone thought they might be faster than a manned lane, perhaps. Well, it certainly isn't. I think all "Exact Change" only lanes should be changed to "EZPass Only", and those with coins can go into the lane with the attendant.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,656,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
(and let's not even get into the discussion on why people don't have transponders)
Recently my transponder didn't work, and several cars had to wait behind me (not rush hour, fortunately, but still ...) until the woman behind me provided the quarter that I was short -- and was even kind and sympathetic, bless her. The transponder has worked since then, so it was some kind of glitch, but it was a pretty awful and helpless feeling. (No, it wasn't local, so if you got stuck behind someone here, it wasn't me!)

Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Figure out what to do? Throw the change in the bucket. Not complicated.
Figure out what to do...WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE EXACT CHANGE, as required. But thanks for assuming I'm a dumbass

Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You should get a transponder anyway. They don't cost anything.
I've heard this actually varies depending on where you buy your EZPass. I believe some states charge an annual fee in addition to upfront cost. I can literally go years without ever needing to pay a toll, so I haven't worried about it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Recently my transponder didn't work, and several cars had to wait behind me (not rush hour, fortunately, but still ...) until the woman behind me provided the quarter that I was short -- and was even kind and sympathetic, bless her. The transponder has worked since then, so it was some kind of glitch, but it was a pretty awful and helpless feeling. (No, it wasn't local, so if you got stuck behind someone here, it wasn't me!)
Well, I once got forced onto the Dulles Tolll Rd by construction. I didn't have money on me. I was able to call them and pay the toll on the phone. I wasn't going to sit there until morning when the attendant would be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia