Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 PM

147 posts, read 252,641 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My friends and I are brainstorming beach vacation ideas. We are busy professoinals in our early 30s (way past the spring break mode). We are looking for a nice hotel with a great pool and beach surroundings. Does not have to be all-inclusive. Just looking to lounge around the pool/beach in the morning and go to nice restaurants at night. We have a list but none of us has been there:

St. Thomas
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Miami

We are just looking for total relaxation....being lost in a paradise....escape from busy work life. Time line is late March. Willing to pay for a nice destination. Anyone been places listed above or have specific places they been to that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,899,395 times
I would post this in the travel forum--it's not really NoVA related.

We honeymooned in the Dominican. It was heart breaking to me--so much incredible poverty, juxtaposed with these immense resorts. I felt so guilty driving up to the resort after going through shanty towns that it was hard for me to fully enjoy our time there. It's dirt cheap though, and the beaches were gorgeous.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,553,138 times
st thomas hands down. I have been going every year for the past few years and never want to come back. it is so relaxing and beautiful down there with so much to do and see. you can go out and hit the bars without feeling like you are at a spring break bash and the rum flows like water down there. you can hop the ferry over to St John and explore the remote beaches and national park on the island. you won't regret going there I promise.

snorkeling, paddle boarding, boating, or just sitting on the beach with a painkiller; you name it you can do it in the VI. I'm about to go plan my next trip right now (i just came back a month ago)

dominican would be a close second. miami doesn't seem like its what you are looking for

Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,304,776 times
PR and DR-you usually don't leave the resort due to high crime, same with Jamaica. Will you be shot? Probably not, but check out the murder statistics of Puerto Rico, pass. I have lots of friends that moved from there for a good reason.

I would strongly recommend Aruba. One of my favorite places I have ever been and free of hurricanes. Everyone is friendly. Always 80 and sunny.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM

63 posts, read 106,113 times
Punta Cana, DR. Went 6 years in a row, each time we stayed at a different resort. So much to choose from, family friendly, adults only, luxury, you name it. There is no problem going off the resort, just don't expect to drive there, they are crazy drivers. Only reason we haven't planned to go back yet is because we have a puppy and we aren't ready to board him for a week yet. If you go, book for 10 days vs. 7 days. You will thank me. The minute you see the Punta Cana airport you will know you are in for a wonderful vacation.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,452,009 times
This is what I use for deciding on Caribbean islands:

* http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2007/03/02/GR2007030200686.html [one of the best graphic for deciding on an island]
* http://www.frommers.com/destinations/caribbean/0217020877.html [I like Frommers better than Fodors]
* http://www.shermanstravel.com/articles/caribbean-101 [nice detailed information]

Read about what each island has to offer and then decide. Each caribbean island is different and everyone's idea of a vacation varies so what works for me will not necessarily work for you.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM

200 posts, read 559,019 times
How much are you willing to pay? How about the Maldives or Bora Bora? That will leave a big hole in your wallet but they are far better than all the destinations you mentioned!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,912,323 times
St. Thomas is my pick off of your list. I've been to the island a few times though never stayed on it.

What about St. Maarten?

I would also check that it's not spring break as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,553,138 times
Here is a view from the private residence that we have stayed in the last 2 years. Bora Bora is definitely beautiful but don't underestimate how gorgeous the VI are for a fraction of the price and a fraction of the travel time. This is a picture overlooking Magens Bay which is on National Geographic's top 10 beaches in the world list. I have better pics I can send you if you want to see the beaches up close

Attached Thumbnails
Beach Vacation Ideas-rsz_2_dsc8030.jpg  

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM

554 posts, read 973,169 times
I would look into Cozumel Mx. I realize that it's a busy cruise port so it can be crowded but there are very nice beaches and enough stuff to do to keep you busy for a week. I went to Punta Cana a few years ago and was not overly impressed. There isn't much outside of the resorts unless you take a tour. If you are ok with a stateside vacation, check out St. Pete / Clearwater Fl. very very cool area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia