Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM

281 posts, read 750,480 times

Advertisements

I recently flew over Eastern Loundon County on the way into Dulles Airport. Boy did it look ugly! Miles and miles of cookie cutter homes with basically no trees for miles and miles. It had all the beauty of flying into Oklahoma City.

On the other hand flying into Washington National Airport can be quite interesting with wooded residential areas along the beautiful Potomac River and you will see the beautiful towns of Mclean, Potomac and Great Falls on the way in. The DC area looks great flying into National but really ugly flying into Dulles.

Though Western Loudon County is still scenic, but Eastern Loundon... UCK!

Agree or disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Here's a flyover for Reston, which is right next door. Looks ok to me. Some of the newer developments don't yet have trees as big as Reston does, but give it another ten years and they will. If you fly over the more mature developments, such as Cascades, you'll see plenty of big trees, lakes, and the Potomac. If you fly over the newer neighborhoods in Ashburn, you won't see as many trees yet.

The perfect FPV flight over South Lakes shopping center in Reston, VA - YouTube

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
When I look at listings in areas such as Sterling I usually see an acceptable amount of trees in the outside pictures. I guess everyone has their own expectations. I don't really care to live next to a forest.

And above poster made a good point, you could've been looking at brand new developments where the foliage hasn't had time to mature.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
this is why much of newer east loudoun county makes me twitchy...

we were just talking about this last night at a get together in my backyard (doggie playgroup - yeah, don't ask). A few of us were in the set where we have friends who have decided between older home in fairfax and newer home in loudoun. We obviously opted for older in fairfax, and a lot of the reason we aren't enamored of the newer developments was that claustrophobic, cookie cutter feel we get while we're visiting our friends who bought there. Not the inside of the houses, which are huge and spacious, but many of them can reach out and touch their neighbors. Sorry, not for me.

I'm sure people said that about our neighborhood when it was first built, of course...so give it time. But I prefer a more mature neighborhood with decent sized yards instead of a postage stamp.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
I recently flew over Eastern Loundon County on the way into Dulles Airport. Boy did it look ugly! Miles and miles of cookie cutter homes with basically no trees for miles and miles. It had all the beauty of flying into Oklahoma City.

On the other hand flying into Washington National Airport can be quite interesting with wooded residential areas along the beautiful Potomac River and you will see the beautiful towns of Mclean, Potomac and Great Falls on the way in. The DC area looks great flying into National but really ugly flying into Dulles.

Though Western Loudon County is still scenic, but Eastern Loundon... UCK!

Agree or disagree.
You found the "beautiful town of McLean"? I like living there for several reasons (convenience, house, neighbors and schools), but I haven't managed to find the "beautiful town" there yet, and it's not from a lack of trying.

But if you've managed to find it from the air, please let me know where it is located. I'm thinking it may be somewhere near the "beautiful city" of Arlington, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!!

Last edited by JD984; 02-22-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
this is why much of newer east loudoun county makes me twitchy...

we were just talking about this last night at a get together in my backyard (doggie playgroup - yeah, don't ask). A few of us were in the set where we have friends who have decided between older home in fairfax and newer home in loudoun. We obviously opted for older in fairfax, and a lot of the reason we aren't enamored of the newer developments was that claustrophobic, cookie cutter feel we get while we're visiting our friends who bought there. Not the inside of the houses, which are huge and spacious, but many of them can reach out and touch their neighbors. Sorry, not for me.

I'm sure people said that about our neighborhood when it was first built, of course...so give it time. But I prefer a more mature neighborhood with decent sized yards instead of a postage stamp.
Or you could get a house in loudoun with a big yard, AND a bigger newer house. You just have to have the money for it. There are plenty of big lots out there.

Full disclosure : I live in a townhouse in Tysons Corner with a tiny yard but fantastic neighhorhood and location.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'm thinking it may be somewhere near the "beautiful city" of Arlington, but I'm not 100% sure.

Rosslyn Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Looks like stereotypical 'burbs of any major metro area. Neither ugly nor attractive but expected.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Or you could get a house in loudoun with a big yard, AND a bigger newer house. You just have to have the money for it. There are plenty of big lots out there.

Full disclosure : I live in a townhouse in Tysons Corner with a tiny yard but fantastic neighhorhood and location.
sure, if you have a million to spend...and/or want to live WAAAAY out in Western Loudoun.

Yeah, I'll take my sub-$500K 40 year old home that is walkable to all our schools, the library and a decent shopping center, thanks.

Again, I do understand why people make these choices - we all have our likes, dislikes, preferences, budgets, commute tolerances, etc. At this point, we wish we had waited another year in our dinky TH and bought closer to where my husband currently works (he switched jobs 9 months after we bought this place to be halfway between our 2 workplaces- sonuva...), but despite my husband's daily commute that now stinks (although I think it is actually easier on him because he just has distance, NOT horrid traffic like what he had to deal with on 28 to Ashburn), we do really like this neighborhood and it would be really hard to leave all that we like about it.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
sure, if you have a million to spend...and/or want to live WAAAAY out in Western Loudoun.

Yeah, I'll take my sub-$500K 40 year old home that is walkable to all our schools, the library and a decent shopping center, thanks.

Again, I do understand why people make these choices - we all have our likes, dislikes, preferences, budgets, commute tolerances, etc. At this point, we wish we had waited another year in our dinky TH and bought closer to where my husband currently works (he switched jobs 9 months after we bought this place to be halfway between our 2 workplaces- sonuva...), but despite my husband's daily commute that now stinks (although I think it is actually easier on him because he just has distance, NOT horrid traffic like what he had to deal with on 28 to Ashburn), we do really like this neighborhood and it would be really hard to leave all that we like about it.
A million will get you a very nice big house with big yard in a desirable part of Fairfax County. You don't need to spend anywhere close to that much to get it in eastern Loudoun. Therein is the allure of LoCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia