U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM

169 posts, read 301,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Often in such situations there is dysfunction by both parties. It of course doesn't mean the mother is blameless but I feel sorry for a two-year-old child whose father would use such vengeful language against her mother. It's a red flag.
The OP asked for help finding an attorney. None of your posts in this thread so far have offered any help. Probably better that you keep your judgements (or even hints of judgements) to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
The OP asked for help finding an attorney. None of your posts in this thread so far have offered any help. Probably better that you keep your judgements (or even hints of judgements) to yourself.
Valid point. But I've seen a situation like this up close where the spouse who was causing most of the problems was able to afford the aggressive attorney who shut the other parent who couldn't afford one out of the children's lives, to the detriment of the children. I genuinely hope the O.P. acts in good faith and that he, the wife, and the lawyers will be able to work out a fair settlement that will minimize the negative consequences to the daughter.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM

5,818 posts, read 13,273,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Valid point. But I've seen a situation like this up close where the spouse who was causing most of the problems was able to afford the aggressive attorney who shut the other parent who couldn't afford one out of the children's lives, to the detriment of the children. I genuinely hope the O.P. acts in good faith and that he, the wife, and the lawyers will be able to work out a fair settlement that will minimize the negative consequences to the daughter.
I don't believe you can pass judgement by a simple sentence which displays total frustation IMO. My SIL filed for divorce and custody from an emotionally abusive, alcoholic husband. When she took the steps to finally remove herself from this situation, those who were unaware of what went on behind bedroom doors, strongly criticized her for abandoning her marriage and "taking the kids away from her husband." Let us not judge rather reply with help.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Actually, that was my point -- perhaps there was a valid reason for the wife leaving with the child. Just saying. But of course maybe not. So I'll stop and let the legal/attorney advice be the focus. I would suggest to the O.P. that his statement about nailing his wife to the wall probably wouldn't play well in court, even if it's just an expression of frustration.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,740,567 times
Do you know her exact location and that the child is safe and in good health? So she has family in Tennessee? Has she been in contact with you recently?

I had a friend that went through a bad divorce, he looked at dads rights forums and did some of his own research on fathers rights, reading laws and cases. I think this helped him stay involved and he was also better able to ask questions and understand his rights. One can learn from other fathers that have been down the same road you are facing. You might be able to get some help regarding a lawyer that way too. I've lost touch with him or I would try and contact him and see if he could be of any support. I read one has to be a Tennessee resident for 6 months before filing a divorce there. I would stay away from the lawyer referral sites, they just have lists and they don't really care about finding ya the best and the brightest.

The judge might like the lawyer and respect him but its still how strong a case he presents. I'd only want one that was very experienced in handling fathers rights cases. Good Luck to you.

Paternity - FindLaw

The MeetUp site may also be of help finding someone to represent you and also provide support.
Metro-D.C. Divorce Support (Washington, DC) - Meetup

Dads Divorce Forum

A bit about Virginia divorce and other stuff.
Legal overview of divorce in Virginia; information about child custody, child support, alimony, maintenance, case law and more.

This Tennessee dads group could be helpful to you as she is in that state now.
TNDAD - Children Need Their Dads

This group maybe of help, couldn't find their website, but here is their infor.
Fathers for Virginia, 7710 Jansen Drive, Springfield VA 22152, 703.451.8580 Executive Secretary: D'Arcy L. McGreer, email - father4va5@gmail.com

Another possible resource.
Resources/Help Fathers & Families
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia