U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

14,667 posts, read 10,558,539 times

Advertisements

We want to change our electric stove to a gas one but we need a professional to tap into an existing gas line and run it to the stove. Any recommendations? Anyone know about what this would cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We want to change our electric stove to a gas one but we need a professional to tap into an existing gas line and run it to the stove. Any recommendations? Anyone know about what this would cost?
There’s a listing of service providers on the Washington Gas website-

http://www.washingtongasliving.com/3704.xml

Mann-In did a good job for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,215,281 times
Lightbulb consider alternative?

We looked into this last year and the quotes were in the thousands, partly because the main house line would also have had to be updated since multiple fixtures would be used. Therefore we stayed with electric and bought a new stove in the $1k range (no pun intended). Glad we stayed electrical because the speed and quality of new electrical stoves is amazing. Double oven with convection and a ultra fast burner unit gets eggs cooked in under five min. Recommend this as an option.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
There’s a listing of service providers on the Washington Gas website-

Washington Gas - For Your Home - Convert To Natural Gas!

Mann-In did a good job for me.
Thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
We looked into this last year and the quotes were in the thousands, partly because the main house line would also have had to be updated since multiple fixtures would be used. Therefore we stayed with electric and bought a new stove in the $1k range (no pun intended). Glad we stayed electrical because the speed and quality of new electrical stoves is amazing. Double oven with convection and a ultra fast burner unit gets eggs cooked in under five min. Recommend this as an option.
Unfortunately, we've already bought the stove. When we did this where we lived before it only cost $200. I have discovered that skilled labor costs up here are astronomical compared to the other places we have lived. In the future, I think we'll research labor costs before we do anything else.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,642,312 times
I was quoted 1K to do it from an existing line. Problem is, I didn't have an existing line. To pull gas to my house, I was quoted 45K. OUCH!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I was quoted 1K to do it from an existing line. Problem is, I didn't have an existing line. To pull gas to my house, I was quoted 45K. OUCH!
Ouch is right. I just talked to a friend in Kentucky who just got her heating system changed from electric to hybrid. With the new two unit system, new ducts, and running new lines it was $22,000. It was propane, so I wonder if that matters in the difference in cost. Other than housing, skilled labor costs are where we have noticed the biggest difference in costs up here compared to other places.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,514,338 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I do NOT know what it would cost nor who we used, however...

Awhile back (1996) we did the same thing - we had gas heat already in our house so already had a gas meter, regulator, etc right outside. The gas fitter installed another regulator on the outside, then ran a copper pipe (tubing) from there to the utility room in the basement (he did not use the existing iron pipe that attached to the furnace and water heater)). He installed a mantle (? multi-fitting iron pipe) in the utility room and a couple valves, another regulator (! I do not have ANY knowledge about gas fitting so assume this all was necessary...), then ran a copper pipe (tubing) from there to the kitchen, installing another valve there. The stove connected to the other side of that valve. The mantle in the utility room will easily give us the option of installing a gas fireplace if we choose to do that sometime in the future - according to the gas fitter (we have a wood-burning fireplace right now).

As you can tell, there was a little more involved in this conversion than just "running a pipe" so the pricing (that I cannot remember nor have records of) probably was nontrivial at the time...and still.

Every gas fitter you contact will be able to give you an estimate - those who don't want to come out "for free" to give you an estimate can probably give you a range over the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas line installation for a stove-fitting.jpg  

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Ouch is right. I just talked to a friend in Kentucky who just got her heating system changed from electric to hybrid. With the new two unit system, new ducts, and running new lines it was $22,000. It was propane, so I wonder if that matters in the difference in cost. Other than housing, skilled labor costs are where we have noticed the biggest difference in costs up here compared to other places.
The 45K was just to get the gas to my house. It dod not include the new furnace, ducts, lines within the home, etc. A propane tank would certainly be cheaper, but my goal was to get away from having to call for deliveries when I'm running low Currently have oil, and currently planning on sticking with oil.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,215,281 times
Lightbulb another suggestion

Quote:
Unfortunately, we've already bought the stove. When we did this where we lived before it only cost $200. I have discovered that skilled labor costs up here are astronomical compared to the other places we have lived. In the future, I think we'll research labor costs before we do anything else.
Might you want to try selling your existing gas range and then use that money, add some m ore to get an upper end electrical stove? Assuming you get $400 for you gas stove and you add $600, in the end you'll spend far less than upgrading to gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia