Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I was not insinuating you should pull over to the shoulder on a two-lane road UNLESS you are going under the speed limit (and then you should). On a two lane road, I am perfectly fine driving behind you as you go the speed limit. I will wait until there is a dotted line, so I can legally pass you. But when I do that, DO NOT speed up.
+1 on NOT speeding up when you are getting passed! If I'm on a two-lane road I'll go 0-5 MPH over the speed limit on average but if I can, I put on the cruise control so I a) don't get distracted by something and slowly fall below the limit or b) see the car behind me creeping up and then feel I need to speed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The OP was asking about local roads, not freeways.

Indeed. On a limited access road, the safety issue is motor vehicle vs motor vehicle. If over 80% of motorists are comfortable going 70MPH, than arguably that is what the limit SHOULD be, and the posted limit may be too low.

On all other roads, speed effects cyclists and pedestrians (who have the right to cross at crosswalks - and IIUC a there are implicit crosswalks at intersections even when not marked - I may start a thread on the topic).

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you!!! It baffles me why anyone would care if I want to go faster than you. What are you trying to prevent? If you feel that my speed may make me an un-safe driver, isn't it much better to have me in front of you, than behind you? I drive faster than most (apparently, from reading this thread), but always move over if someone comes up behind me going faster. I actually welcome it. I figure that, if there is an officer ahead, that person will get the ticket. They are my safety net.

I would never SPEED UP when someone is trying to pass me, and they are going well over the speed limit. To do so could increase the likelihood of a collision, which I would want to avoid.

I am tempted, however, to get a dashboard cam, and send their license number to local LE. If LE disregards, then I might want to raise that with my local member of the board of supervisors.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 AM

136 posts, read 222,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So the almost universal consensus is that driving 5 - 10 MPH over is needed to keep up with traffic, it won't get you a ticket, its basically fine (except possibly in school zones), etc, etc

From which I deduce that the vast majority of drivers in this area are scofflaws.

At least as much, if not more so, than cyclists. Like most scofflaw cyclists, they tend to violate the laws in ways which they feel will not endanger themselves.

I hope none of the people who has admitted to regularly driving over the limit is among those opposed to the encouragement of cycling on the grounds that many cyclists are scofflaws.

Ditto vis a vis pedestrians.
Sure, I have no problem with cyclists and pedestrians going a few miles over the speed limit.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I hope none of the people who has admitted to regularly driving over the limit is among those opposed to the encouragement of cycling on the grounds that many cyclists are scofflaws.

Ditto vis a vis pedestrians.
In theory, I'm not against cyclists or pedestrians. In practice, they are very irritating when they slow me down. And this is particularly true in hilly, windy back roads in Loudoun county. I understand that you are getting your exercise and out for a nice Saturday afternoon ride, but I'm trying to get my errands done. And stuck behind you for two miles going 10-15 miles an hour is very irritating.

Legally, they can be there, yes. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed. I'm rarely annoyed if I can quickly pass them, which is usually the case anywhere east of Rt 15.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Sure, I have no problem with cyclists and pedestrians going a few miles over the speed limit.

ha ha.

Each mode tends to scofflaw in ways that are logical for them. motorists tend to drive over the limit, cyclists often treat stop signs as if they were yield signs( see Idaho stop, named after the state where they are legal) and a smaller number treat red lights as stop signs, etc. pedestrians cross roads without a crosswalk where its a long way to the next crosswalk, and when crossing at a signal they often anticipate the crossing signal.

Each has its own logic.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,776 times
Quote:
I was not insinuating you should pull over to the shoulder on a two-lane road UNLESS you are going under the speed limit (and then you should). On a two lane road, I am perfectly fine driving behind you as you go the speed limit. I will wait until there is a dotted line, so I can legally pass you. But when I do that, DO NOT speed up.
I definitely agree on the not speeding part when someone is passing you - in fact, I would even slow down a little more to allow you to pass more quickly and more safely. However, I'm not so sure I agree with you about having to pull over to the shoulder if you are going under the speed limit on a busy 2-lane road. One, the speed limit is exactly what it says - a limit, implying that it is the maximum speed at which you are legally allowed to travel. Thus, if someone is traveling a couple of miles under the speed limit, that is perfectly acceptable and should not be a reason for someone to pull over. To have that expectation of someone (again, on a busy 2-lane road - I'm not talking about a rural, county road), is unreasonable in my opinion. Additionally, driving conditions, such as adverse weather, could necessitate a speed lower than the limit.

Now, if someone is consciously traveling say 10 mph under the speed limit, I think it would be the courteous thing to do to pull over and allow others to pass, and such a person would most definitely annoy me if they did not. But, I still don't think you can say it is anything other than the courteous thing for them to do. If they don't do it, I'm not going to ride their tail, I'm not going to flash my lights, and I'm not going to honk my horn. I'm going to patiently (although slightly annoyed) wait until I have a chance to pass them - which, is also the courteous thing to do, in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
In theory, I'm not against cyclists or pedestrians. In practice, they are very irritating when they slow me down. And this is particularly true in hilly, windy back roads in Loudoun county. I understand that you are getting your exercise and out for a nice Saturday afternoon ride, but I'm trying to get my errands done. And stuck behind you for two miles going 10-15 miles an hour is very irritating.

Legally, they can be there, yes. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed. I'm rarely annoyed if I can quickly pass them, which is usually the case anywhere east of Rt 15.
It may be different in Loudoun county, but in the closer in places there are people cycling to work, for errands, etc. This is particularly true on the roads - given the availability of trails, and the miserable bike unfriendliness of most roads, I doubt many folks out purely for exercise are on the roads, unless its to access a trail - which in a sense IS an errand - just as someone driving to a gym, say, is.

I don't mind if you are annoyed, or if you pass (as long as you do so safely - the law in Va is 2 ft, though it really should be 3 ft - one nice thing about loudoun I guess is that the arterials are typically 4 lanes - here in FFX they are often two lanes, leading to worse conflicts) I do mind when folks who are scofflaws themselves oppose bike friendly policies because "those cyclists are scofflaws"

Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post

I prefer cyclists (and all other road users) be Predictable, Alert, and Lawful. There are lots of sharp downgrades where its easy for a cyclist to exceed a posted limit of 25MPG, and there are strong cyclists who can easily exceed a 25MPG limit on a modest downgrade. They should not, of course. And some local trails have speed limits that are lower still - for example the limit on the MVT is 15MPH - a limit strong cyclists can easily exceed on flat terrain. They should not, however.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
One, the speed limit is exactly what it says - a limit, implying that it is the maximum speed at which you are legally allowed to travel.

that seems to be at issue

"Elizabeth: Wait! You have to take me to shore. According to the Code of the Order of the Brethren...
Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner . "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia