U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM

755 posts, read 1,515,957 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I am thinking of accepting a position at the Pentagon. I have found some apartments that are relatively resonably priced, new, and with great amenities (including one reserved spot with rent and free shuttle to pentagon city metro). The apartment is located in the 4000 block of King Street. I am not that familiar with Alexandria, can someone give me some insight into this area. Is shopping available (i.e. Target, Grocery, PetSmart)? Is this a generally safe neighborhood for a single woman with two small dogs (i.e. I will be walking them in the early morning and sometimes in the late evenings)? I am deciding between this building, Avalon at Cameron Court (in the 22314 zip), and some new apartments in Shirlington (22206 zip). My first concern is safety, second is my commute time and access to metro, and third is distance to shopping. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 PM

42 posts, read 260,429 times
I'm not too knowledgeable about the specific building, but Avalon at Cameron Court is in a neighborhood that would be considered safe, and walking distance to the Eisenhower Avenue metro. It's also next to the Hoffman Town Center, which has a bunch of restaurants and a movie theater.

Shirlington seems to be a fairly popular place these days, but it's further from the Metro.

That part of King Street probably depends on the specific building--it can vary a lot within a given neighborhood. Also far from the Metro.

Potomac Yard on Route 1 just south of the Alexandria/Arlington line has a Target and a Petsmart. There are several million grocery stores scattered around the area.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 AM

349 posts, read 1,290,291 times
All 3 of them are pretty safe.

As far as metro access check WMATAs website trip planner, it'll tell you the easiest route. The Pentagon is a major transit point so a lot of buses and rail lines go there directly. Shirlington doesn't have metro rail access, but they have buses that go almost every 5 minutes during rush hour straight to the pentagon on the 395 HOV lanes.

All 3 have pretty good access to shopping, but I would say the one on King St and Shirlington are a little better as they are close to Baileys Crossroads and Fairlington has a large shopping area. The Avalon place is near a more touristy area in Old Town that has a lot of specialty shops and antique stores, but does have a Whole Foods in the area.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Thank you two, lots of helpful info. The apartments in the 22302 area is called Halstead Towers. They have an express shuttle that would take me to Pentagon City on the hour and half hour during rush hour. If I moved to Cameron Court, I would be more inclined to pursue a position I was offered at the Anacostia Naval base in SW D.C., but my commute would be going over the Woodrow Wilson bridge and I heard that was a freakin nightmare. I would prefer to live in a location where I can change between public transportation and driving if I want. The other nice thing about Cameron Court is the individual garages and the cost would be a little cheaper than Halstead towers, however Halstead towers has more amenities and includes more in the rent. Plus the reserve spot is a big draw for me. So, if you two had to choose...what would be your choice? Also, does 395 get as bad as 495? Or is it driveable? When I worked in D.C. for six months, I lived in the Metropolitan at Pentagon Row (in Crystal City) and I drove to Anacostia and it took me 20 minutes on a bad day...of course I was working 7 to 3:30 so I am not sure if that made a difference. I would live there again but this time it is on my dime not the governments dime and they are wanting $2400+ for a one bedroom and parking and everything else is extra.

Please keep the helpful info coming!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Anyone else have info about this area of Alexandria?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,405 times
22302 is an extremely nice and safe area. It's close to DC, Old Town, the metro, major commutting routes (395, 495, etc.), and shopping.

See http://taylor-run.alexandria.va.us for links and more info...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM

3,351 posts, read 5,940,921 times
22302 should be a pretty safe area. As for shopping, you'd be just down the road from Landmark Mall.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
As for shopping, you'd be just down the road from Landmark Mall.
yea, but that dosent mean you can shop there. for shopping i like bailey's crossroads shopping center better than landmark.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
I haven't learned what is happening with Landmark Mall, used to be great, now I just go there for Macy's (and VERY occasionally Sears, Lord & Taylor and Ritz). Used to be a great mall.

There are many other things close though: Harris Teeter, Giant, Safeway, Magruder's - for groceries. Several discount stores: Marshalls, TJMaxx, Home Goods. Kohl's isn't far, Target is fairly close...

I love all the stores that in the area.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 PM

So what is the big difference between Landmark and Bailey's Crossroads? Also, from what I am understanding shopping will be no problem, but what about a little bit of land like parks or jogging trails?

Which zip would you all prefer to live in? 22302 or 22314?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia