U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,025 times

Advertisements

Hi guys - we are relocating from Louisiana to near the city of Faifax, VA. I put together some concerns/questions below. Thanks in advance for your help.

- Work location

West end junction of 495 and 66

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?

around $300K or $2,000/month rent

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate

20 min

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

Somewhere a pregnant girl can go for a walk at 6 pm and not feel scared in the neighborhood. Small city feel is nice.

-Community amenities important to you

Number one priority: Close to a hospital (good OB/delivering); prenatal yoga, nice market place
Secondary: Crossfit gym for a husband (big may be)

- Other

Relocating in a month for a new job. We glanced online at the neighborhoods in Burke, VA, Loudon Valley, VA (somewhat far) and Herndon, VA.
Names of the subdivisions are greatly appreciated.
I know crime is everywhere, but comments on where not to look at all are also welcomed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
A 20 minute commute during normal rush hour to your workplace may take you five miles. Forget about Loudoun and Herndon. Even Burke would be problematic. Unless you are willing to consider a longer commute, the 20 minute restriction and your price range/safety factors would most likely mean a condo or apartment.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM

What about a longer commute? Or just general great neighborhoods to live in; any suggestions on community/apartment complex name?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,799,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy306 View Post
Hi guys - we are relocating from Louisiana to near the city of Faifax, VA. I put together some concerns/questions below. Thanks in advance for your help.

- Work location

West end junction of 495 and 66

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?

around $300K or $2,000/month rent

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate

20 min

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

Somewhere a pregnant girl can go for a walk at 6 pm and not feel scared in the neighborhood. Small city feel is nice.

-Community amenities important to you

Number one priority: Close to a hospital (good OB/delivering); prenatal yoga, nice market place
Secondary: Crossfit gym for a husband (big may be)

- Other

Relocating in a month for a new job. We glanced online at the neighborhoods in Burke, VA, Loudon Valley, VA (somewhat far) and Herndon, VA.
Names of the subdivisions are greatly appreciated.
I know crime is everywhere, but comments on where not to look at all are also welcomed.

Reston has a great cross fit gym. Actually it is probably the beat in the area. There is one in Fairfax run by the husband of the owner of the Reston gym. But the area isn't that nice in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,128,156 times
You are going to want to look in Centreville area for something in your price range. It will probably be a townhouse. Manassas will be a longer commute than 20 minutes but will fit into your price range better. Centreville most areas are perfectly fine. Manassas has a few rough areas but 95% of it is fine.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,903 times
The City of Fairfax, Fairfax and Burke are all nice areas but I dont think 2k a month is going to get you much.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
Your workplace is located in a congested urban/suburban area where two major commuting arteries (which are also interstates) cross. Single-family homes in that area are in the $500K+ range. There is no neighborhood with a "small city feel" anywhere close to that spot, especially in your price range. Crime will not really be an issue, but realistically you will be limited to an apartment or condo, unless you are willing to bump up the commute by at least a factor of two.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,532,794 times
Before I suggest it, anyone know how long it takes to get to that area from Burke or West Springfield via the Fairfax county Parkway. I sometimes take it on a weekend and it takes me about 20 minutes from West Springfield--but I am not sure about during the work week.

Anyway, if that's an option, I know there are rentals in West Springfield for small townhouses and condos fall in about the $2,000 a month range (although most are higher to be fair). Just seems like it would be against the flow of traffic and I know it's a safe area.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Thank you all for good replies.
What about some of the subdivision/rental complex's names that you can suggest?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM

7,244 posts, read 3,006,769 times
Oh my God! We hope to move back to Louisiana ASAP! Your wants are all very optimistic. A 20-minute commute is the first thing you can cross off your list. I'm originally from here, my wife from Slidell. We've been up here for 20+ years and are still trying new strategies to get to Tysons Corner each morning. We live 8-miles from Tysons, and weekdays take about 45 minutes.
$300K won't buy a house, maybe a condo w/in a 50-60 minute commute.
Don't fall into the trap of driving further to get more house. Your commute and traffic will wear you down.
Look at Fairfax City/Roberts Road, Old Lee Highway, Falls Church/Annandale Road, Gallows Road.
Good luck and welcome to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia