U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,115,409 times

Advertisements

This post makes me smile.

I agree with what you are saying.

One of the things that I struggle with is trying to build my life in 2 places. Knowing that I am not as happy here as I could be and yet effectively just about forced to build my life here with objects that pass my time. Now I have alot of junk here just in case I decide to stay.

I am substantially upside down on my home but after years of struggling with the bank I am in what I believe to be my 11th hour of a HARP 2.0 of a refinance. Still, that won't help me pay down the balance any more (maybe if some jobs ever come this way I can rent it).

Yes...keep my eyes on the prize is what I always used to literally say....but I needed that refresher so thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
If you really don't like it here but have to stay (like a lot of people) try and find things that would make you like it better here. I was going to say move to a different area but I don't know how upside down you are on your house and your kids and school, etc. But, I would find something that made it worthwhile. My husband and I don't love it here but I learned to like different things I got involved with, volunteering with animal rescue and having a different focus instead of work and commuting taking up all my 'thought time'. My husband and I do not have children but he has 4 from a previous marriage so we had to stay as well because of financial obligations that had he made less money, could put us into financial jeopardy.

A couple of years ago he had a massive heart attack and life hasn't been the same since. Support obligations are over and the kids are on with their adult lives and we have nothing tying us to this place anymore. He wants to get out and move north to Vermont where we purchased land about 10 years ago. We couldn't do it right away but we've always been moving in a forward direction to make us feel like we were getting somewhere...getting rid of things, practicing going to the grocery store less by writing everything down as we needed it (we won't be able to go around the corner for a store anymore). Even purchasing some items that we couldn't use at the time, but could use in the future. Well - now, it has been a long, long road but we are at the end of a house being built (that will have taken almost 2 years) and we will finally be achieving our dream of being in Vermont in the mountains.

Don't give up, don't ever give up your dream of either being somewhere else, or being in a different situation. You CAN be in a different situation and it may take time and it may be a struggle and you may never think you will make it...but keep your eye on the prize. Just have a prize in sight no matter how far away you feel that it is. That gives you something to work towards instead of going through the humdrum of life with no end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,115,409 times
I know last time I was in Central Broward it was nuts. 595 reconstruction looked very third world too. Wow, worked from home? I need to get in on that! Yep, I remember the grind coming from downtown Miami north to the Broward County line...was terrible.

I hardly drove in South FL..always worked from home..but traffic is way better in Broward than here.. On the weekends I still fly to FLL and when I drive to BWI to catch a flight on Friday evening..its a real pain

Agree..95 is so better in South FL until u r in Miami

Yep, I lived in Lauderhill and Sunrise...it was constant.

Thats news..Never had any such bad experience(touch wood).. had car broken into..but that was when a friend of a friend took it to his home(not so good area) and didnt lock it

Get a nice fire and park your bones in front of it as much as you wish! ...or move to the "tropics" of the area (Fredericksburg Area) (joke...actually it often gets colder than DC proper and a fair amount of the DC Suburbs due to scientific reasons.)

Biggest worry for me..I dont like cold weather..but its a trade off I have to make for better wages

Can definitely speak to this in a round about way. Not sure if it is eczema for me, but I have all kinds of skin problems now due to low humidity in the winter. Face is peeling away, scalp peels away etc etc. Never had this problem in SFLA.

Son has eczema..not sure if it gets better or worse

Then you will have to be more analytical about your commute but there has to be something here for you.

VRE from Woodbridge/Fredericksburg Area/Manassas etc etc etc and still be able to afford a house after driving 30 minutes to the station as a rough example.

Drive your car 20 minutes to a commuter lot and let someone drive you up while you snooze. You will meet people from Fort Lauderdale too.

Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC

Dont like to drive much

If you are chasing the most money possible, one of my experiences has been that jobs at Ft. Meade Maryland seem to pay better than just about any other DOD location (not sure if you plan to go Fed or Gov't contract. I know this is the NOVA forum, but just wanted to throw that in there. I can't speak individually about Maryland but there is plenty said about it here.

One of the advantage to living in a DC exurb tropic is that it shaves a good 40 minutes to an hour + commute time if you ever need to drive to SFLA. Flying can be cheap, but as/if your family grows in size prices are very unforgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or