Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM

95 posts, read 214,426 times

Advertisements

OP

Am in the exact position but very similar

Lived in South FL(Fort Lauderdale) area all these years..working on paltry salaries and renting...working in IT

had my second kid in January and a visit to No Va gave me an idea that I am living in poverty

For better schools and pay,seriously considering Nova area..reason on this forum is to learn about housing and schools

housing is costly in Nova..FL has beautiful weather..only 2 concerns for me

OP,ur two cents on my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
True, it will hit SA (being a heavily military town)--but Dallas is mostly American Airlines, insurance, telecomm, some IT, lots of hospitals and medical jobs. (Bell Helicopter is nearby but by no means the major employer--though it is in the Mid-Cities, or at least it was when I was growing up.) Yeah, Houston is all oil/gas--but you better like mosquitos, roaches, complete dominance of far-right conservatism, and (anecdotally) a higher likelihood of getting cancer. [b]Austin is very nice but... you get the extreme opposite of Houston--hippie-bum 20-somethings panhandling in a lot of places. Still, I would live there if we could make it work financially/jobwise.
Not to take this thread off-topic into a "City vs. City" tangent...but I think while that Houston and Austin are opposites in many ways, it's not necessarily due to the political stereotypes. Areas in or near downtown Austin may be hyper-liberal but my impression is that the metro is decidedly more conservative outside the city limits. And while I don't doubt that the Houston suburbs are generally conservative, if one considers the recent election of a lesbian Democrat to the mayor's office as a progressive trait, then the city itself is at least moderate these days.

Tying this back into NOVA, I believe the political diversity - or "purple-ness",if you will - of this region keeps things interesting.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,697 times
I have noticed that alot of folks that I meet moved from Dallas to here. Could it be better here? I know that "better" is a relative term. Maybe they just wanted more money? I mean the folks that I know left Dallas for here even after having strong family ties. They said it was starting to get very competitive (at least where IT was concerned) and couldn't make any money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
True, it will hit SA (being a heavily military town)--but Dallas is mostly American Airlines, insurance, telecomm, some IT, lots of hospitals and medical jobs. (Bell Helicopter is nearby but by no means the major employer--though it is in the Mid-Cities, or at least it was when I was growing up.) Yeah, Houston is all oil/gas--but you better like mosquitos, roaches, complete dominance of far-right conservatism, and (anecdotally) a higher likelihood of getting cancer. Austin is very nice but somewhat humid and much more expensive than other Texas cities. Plus you get the extreme opposite of Houston--hippie-bum 20-somethings panhandling in a lot of places. Still, I would live there if we could make it work financially/jobwise.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Haha...well misery loves company! Feeling better already.

NOVA? Alot depends on you and what you can handle/value.

Some of these, you may already know from visting here.

My thoughts from growing up in the Fort Lauderdale area:

1) Traffic is about the same in NOVA. I think 826/836/595 are worse than here....but I think that is being covered up though. Call me a conspiracy theorist. I feel safe here as you can see.

2) Commutes are substantially worse here depending on where you live and what you choose to tolerate. Alot of this has to do with 95 being so narrow as compared to 95 South Florida...generally 3-4 lanes in each direction. (In my personal conversations with most people they think otherwise for some reason but that is ok).

3) People aren't in your face all the time which is tough to get used to for someone from SFLA. Then as I stepped outside the SFLA bubble I realized it wasn't so bad because I haven't had even one unknown person hit me up for money as I packed groceries with my family. That happened to me all the time in SFLA and while it didn't bother me then, it would bother me now (that's just me).

4) The weather. It is substantially hotter here in July than it is in SFLA so if you like to be warm, you can be warmer here just for a much shorter period of time. I know that Fort Lauderdale generally doesn't get past 94 degrees ambient in the summer. It is muggier in Florida than here, but we do generally see a few days above 100 degrees in the summer. Winter...you just have to get used to it. Spring and Fall just don't seem to last long enough to me.

5) Allergies...if you don't have them there, you might have them here. If you have allergies there, your symptoms might be different. Sore throat symptoms there might turn into sinus infections here.

6) Housing/Schools/Cost of Living. At least you have a large middle class here. In SFLA it struck me as lower middle class/poor and EXTREMELY EXTREMELY wealthy. With that said, housing is generally commensurate with wages. You are far better off here even with State Tax in general. Don't think you are getting paid enough at one job, move to another. Schools....even schools in the exurbs are better off IMHO than the schools in SFLA. I don't know how I survived to be a productive adult having come out of SFLA public schools. (I know that there are some great PS in Broward supposedly but I had to go to some of the worst growing up).

7) Dispostition....Things that are "normal" in South Florida won't fly here. If you have a criminal history or bad credit you can make it here but alot of focus and time must be spent on cleaning your life up if you wish to take your IT qualifications into the Security Clearance world.

8) Driving....Used to love to street race as a young man like many many many people in SLFA. Don't do it here!! Anything over 80 or 20 over is reckless driving and a misdemeanor (although at the officer's discretion). However, I wouldn't count on them giving you any breaks....(I am sure Bigfoot424 will be in here to comment). Combined with Radar Detectors being illegal, speeding is a big no no. I think Fort Lauderdale is the premiere location in the United States for loving Automobiles. If you love automobiles and speed, you will probably want to let that go here or own an high HP vehicle wondering why you can never really use it.

Summary: Alot depends on how far you are willing to drive and compromise because that is what you may find yourself doing if you no longer wish to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stup123 View Post
OP

Am in the exact position but very similar

Lived in South FL(Fort Lauderdale) area all these years..working on paltry salaries and renting...working in IT

had my second kid in January and a visit to No Va gave me an idea that I am living in poverty

For better schools and pay,seriously considering Nova area..reason on this forum is to learn about housing and schools

housing is costly in Nova..FL has beautiful weather..only 2 concerns for me

OP,ur two cents on my situation?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM

The purpleness rocks. If I posted as per my original post in South Florida. Half the posts would be trolling calling me a deadbeat for not living closer to my son.

I love the moderate nature of the area. I can talk to a pronounced liberal about conservative issues and a pronounced conservative issues and 98% of the time we understand each other.

This place is like a modern Ellis Island with it's weak, tired, weary, and poor.

Gotta love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Not to take this thread off-topic into a "City vs. City" tangent...but I think while that Houston and Austin are opposites in many ways, it's not necessarily due to the political stereotypes. Areas in or near downtown Austin may be hyper-liberal but my impression is that the metro is decidedly more conservative outside the city limits. And while I don't doubt that the Houston suburbs are generally conservative, if one considers the recent election of a lesbian Democrat to the mayor's office as a progressive trait, then the city itself is at least moderate these days.

Tying this back into NOVA, I believe the political diversity - or "purple-ness",if you will - of this region keeps things interesting.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM

509 posts, read 1,261,686 times
We are one of those likely to move from Dallas to NOVA. Mostly the reason being that my husband has some top clearance and instead of him flying back and forth we prefer that he not travel as much and if that means moving to NOVA then that's what we'll do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I have noticed that alot of folks that I meet moved from Dallas to here. Could it be better here? I know that "better" is a relative term. Maybe they just wanted more money? I mean the folks that I know left Dallas for here even after having strong family ties. They said it was starting to get very competitive (at least where IT was concerned) and couldn't make any money.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,098 times
If you really don't like it here but have to stay (like a lot of people) try and find things that would make you like it better here. I was going to say move to a different area but I don't know how upside down you are on your house and your kids and school, etc. But, I would find something that made it worthwhile. My husband and I don't love it here but I learned to like different things I got involved with, volunteering with animal rescue and having a different focus instead of work and commuting taking up all my 'thought time'. My husband and I do not have children but he has 4 from a previous marriage so we had to stay as well because of financial obligations that had he made less money, could put us into financial jeopardy.

A couple of years ago he had a massive heart attack and life hasn't been the same since. Support obligations are over and the kids are on with their adult lives and we have nothing tying us to this place anymore. He wants to get out and move north to Vermont where we purchased land about 10 years ago. We couldn't do it right away but we've always been moving in a forward direction to make us feel like we were getting somewhere...getting rid of things, practicing going to the grocery store less by writing everything down as we needed it (we won't be able to go around the corner for a store anymore). Even purchasing some items that we couldn't use at the time, but could use in the future. Well - now, it has been a long, long road but we are at the end of a house being built (that will have taken almost 2 years) and we will finally be achieving our dream of being in Vermont in the mountains.

Don't give up, don't ever give up your dream of either being somewhere else, or being in a different situation. You CAN be in a different situation and it may take time and it may be a struggle and you may never think you will make it...but keep your eye on the prize. Just have a prize in sight no matter how far away you feel that it is. That gives you something to work towards instead of going through the humdrum of life with no end in sight.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM

95 posts, read 214,426 times
Thanks for the reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
1) Traffic is about the same in NOVA. I think 826/836/595 are worse than here....but I think that is being covered up though. Call me a conspiracy theorist. I feel safe here as you can see.

I hardly drove in South FL..always worked from home..but traffic is way better in Broward than here.. On the weekends I still fly to FLL and when I drive to BWI to catch a flight on Friday evening..its a real pain

2) Commutes are substantially worse here depending on where you live and what you choose to tolerate. Alot of this has to do with 95 being so narrow as compared to 95 South Florida...generally 3-4 lanes in each direction. (In my personal conversations with most people they think otherwise for some reason but that is ok).

Agree..95 is so better in South FL until u r in Miami

3) People aren't in your face all the time which is tough to get used to for someone from SFLA. Then as I stepped outside the SFLA bubble I realized it wasn't so bad because I haven't had even one unknown person hit me up for money as I packed groceries with my family. That happened to me all the time in SFLA and while it didn't bother me then, it would bother me now (that's just me).

Thats news..Never had any such bad experience(touch wood).. had car broken into..but that was when a friend of a friend took it to his home(not so good area) and didnt lock it

4) The weather. It is substantially hotter here in July than it is in SFLA so if you like to be warm, you can be warmer here just for a much shorter period of time. I know that Fort Lauderdale generally doesn't get past 94 degrees ambient in the summer. It is muggier in Florida than here, but we do generally see a few days above 100 degrees in the summer. Winter...you just have to get used to it. Spring and Fall just don't seem to last long enough to me.

Biggest worry for me..I dont like cold weather..but its a trade off I have to make for better wages

5) Allergies...if you don't have them there, you might have them here. If you have allergies there, your symptoms might be different. Sore throat symptoms there might turn into sinus infections here.

Son has eczema..not sure if it gets better or worse

6) Housing/Schools/Cost of Living. At least you have a large middle class here. In SFLA it struck me as lower middle class/poor and EXTREMELY EXTREMELY wealthy. With that said, housing is generally commensurate with wages. You are far better off here even with State Tax in general. Don't think you are getting paid enough at one job, move to another. Schools....even schools in the exurbs are better off IMHO than the schools in SFLA. I don't know how I survived to be a productive adult having come out of SFLA public schools. (I know that there are some great PS in Broward supposedly but I had to go to some of the worst growing up).

Deftly positive in Nova

7) Dispostition....Things that are "normal" in South Florida won't fly here. If you have a criminal history or bad credit you can make it here but alot of focus and time must be spent on cleaning your life up if you wish to take your IT qualifications into the Security Clearance world.

8) Driving....Used to love to street race as a young man like many many many people in SLFA. Don't do it here!! Anything over 80 or 20 over is reckless driving and a misdemeanor (although at the officer's discretion). However, I wouldn't count on them giving you any breaks....(I am sure Bigfoot424 will be in here to comment). Combined with Radar Detectors being illegal, speeding is a big no no. I think Fort Lauderdale is the premiere location in the United States for loving Automobiles. If you love automobiles and speed, you will probably want to let that go here or own an high HP vehicle wondering why you can never really use it.

-Dont like to drive much
Summary: Alot depends on how far you are willing to drive and compromise because that is what you may find yourself doing if you no longer wish to rent.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Heh, I can't put sentences together very well due to the time of night I am posting but I am glad you all got the point!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM

I can certainly relate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
We are one of those likely to move from Dallas to NOVA. Mostly the reason being that my husband has some top clearance and instead of him flying back and forth we prefer that he not travel as much and if that means moving to NOVA then that's what we'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia