U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,096,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Look at the time of year it is, too. Not much else going on, no football, people are all at home, and it's too cold to go out and do outdoor things. Cabin fever. With Springfield Mall out, and Landmark Mall barren, look at the huge population both north and south of Potomac Mills that it serves. It's makes me stressed out even to think about it. If I go to Potomac Mills on the weekend, it's not too bad if you go before noon. After that, forget it.

And I totally agree what a terrible idea it was to build the restaurants on the side of the mall that was already insane in terms of parking on the crowds. What a mess.

When they were building those restaurants, I was shocked. But actually, now that it's all done (and there are many reserved spots for the restaurant, I think it does better (parking-wise) than I expected. That area was never good and it's still not--it just doesn't seem any worse to me, surprisingly. What I'd really love to see is the movie theater move out and get it's own standalone area. I find it a pain to park to go to the movies and it is situated in the busiest area of the mall. I mean, who wants to go to the movies yet have to park down by Marshall's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 05:17 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,618,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
Today's goal: Get swim trunks or board shorts for a trip to Cancun this week.

Expected time: 30 minutes total

Real time including traffic/parking : 2 hours+

Well if Potomac Mills was crowded a few years ago when Steve & Barry still existed, I don't know what to call it now. Whoever decided to build a Cheesecake Factory right next to the entrance had to be out of their mind. And what is up with all the valet parking? I had to park like half a mile away. On the inside, walking is a pain. I'm not a fan of shopping. I do most of my shopping online these days. Anyways, I went from store to store looking for swimming stuff and apparently most of these stores don't carry it. I went to Pacific Sunwear and thought the shorts were cool but there is no way I'm paying $50 for a pair of swimming trunks. I thought this was an outlet mall? And there it hits. As I walked the entire mall from front to back I realized things changed a lot. There was a time when you could bring $20 to Potomac Mills and buy several items and . Now stuff is so expensive, I might as well have been at Tysons!

I wound up getting a pair at Modell's and a pair at Hollister for a total of less than $30. Call me cheap but there is no reason to pay much more for something I may wear 1-2x/year at most.

Outlet shopping is overrated. I've actually heard studies that they make people believe they are saving money by using sale tags but the cost is either higher or just as much as you would find at a regular store.

What Outlet Malls Don't Want You to Know | Financially Fit - Yahoo! Shine

As far as Potomac Mills, it is indeed insane there. I only go there on special occasions and any other time, I go online or go to some of the smaller shopping center like Rollingwood Shopping Center (for Kohl's of course) or Prince William Parkway Crossing. My recommendation is to go there during the week on a day off. I sometimes have Fridays off, and although there are still people there, it's not as bad as what you probably experienced.

I also agreed with ChristineVA, parking in front of Marshall's or the F&M Furniture are the best places. Anywhere else, you will be battling for a parking space for a long time.

The Tanger Outlet Mall at National Harbor may have a little bit of a impact on how many people go to Potomac Mills once it opens later this year too.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

531 posts, read 1,205,412 times
Costco is selling nautica swim trunks for about 20 bucks. Go there next time. Plenty of parking too.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM

14,682 posts, read 10,568,876 times
I hear they are opening a "...or That" store. I love that place.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM

213 posts, read 429,464 times
Parking at Potomac Mills is always a bear. I find that getting there at opening time can be the best or closer to closing time. I usually go there for the Costco and park near there, but this past Friday around 11 or so, the parking near Costco was a lot busier than usual. I think that's due to the new restaurants that opened up. I overheard a snippet of conversation about something else going in to the Potomac Mills area that will be blocking off more parking spots, but not 100% sure what that was about.

Despite the craziness there, I am glad they are making updates to the place. I like that they have all the factory stores I like, and no longer need to go to Arundel Mills.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,125,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
Parking at Potomac Mills is always a bear. I find that getting there at opening time can be the best or closer to closing time. I usually go there for the Costco and park near there, but this past Friday around 11 or so, the parking near Costco was a lot busier than usual. I think that's due to the new restaurants that opened up. I overheard a snippet of conversation about something else going in to the Potomac Mills area that will be blocking off more parking spots, but not 100% sure what that was about.

Despite the craziness there, I am glad they are making updates to the place. I like that they have all the factory stores I like, and no longer need to go to Arundel Mills.
I agree.. Working there back in the late '90s and seeing it decline over the last years, I'm happy to hear that there is money potentially moving through there again

Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,618,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post

The traffic to Costco could be due to the gas station. The line there is insane.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,299,817 times
"Outlet" does not necessarily mean "cheaper". In the old days the outlets sold their inferior or "seconds" in addition to last seasons overstock that did not sell.

Now the major retailers are selling poor quality goods but still putting their logos on them. If you go to the Burberry or JCrew outlet in Leesburg you will see this. These are not the same items you pay full price for at the real mall.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,547,585 times
You know Wal mart has board shorts for like 12 bucks

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM

3,156 posts, read 8,099,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
The traffic to Costco could be due to the gas station. The line there is insane.
Yeah but the line is completely separated from the rest of the parking lot. You have to enter it from the circle road around Potomac Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia