Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 PM

529 posts, read 750,741 times

Advertisements

also, another point to consider....

if you buy a SFH now and don't have kids for another few years, you will be in a neighborhood with full of kids but none in your home, and may not be able to join your neighbor's parties/potlucks etc.

So, townhome is a better idea for now. Also, after living in a townhome for several years, you will get a lot of ideas how to make your next home, which you can apply in your SFH and keep it for a long time.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
also, another point to consider....

if you buy a SFH now and don't have kids for another few years, you will be in a neighborhood with full of kids but none in your home, and may not be able to join your neighbor's parties/potlucks etc.

So, townhome is a better idea for now. Also, after living in a townhome for several years, you will get a lot of ideas how to make your next home, which you can apply in your SFH and keep it for a long time.

good luck.
That is kind of an odd reason don't you think? Not sure what neighborhood you live in, but the demographic is nearly the same for TH and SFH in Brambleton. A lot of people can't afford SFH, so they go the TH route but they are pretty much equal when it comes to families. I don't know why anyone would discriminate against their neighbors without children when having potlucks or parties. We always have had a good mix at the gatherings we have gone to and hosted.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM

28 posts, read 50,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Traveling regularly from Ashburn to Rockville could be tough at any hour. That's over 30 miles each way. Your AM commute might not be bad, but PM is likely to be worse. Have you done some test runs to make sure it's something you can see yourself doing indefinitely? I'd be looking no further west than Reston (or looking for another job in NoVa).

Don't want to rain on your plans, but 30-mile commutes can get old real quick.
I currently make the commute from Herndon. Leave at 625am and at office by 7 and leave at 3 and usually home by 335-340pm. My office is right off the beltway. Although after I move to ashburn I'm going to ask for 1-2 work from home days. If that doesn't work out would prob just find another job in nova.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM

280 posts, read 1,073,355 times
I think if you are someone who likes the idea of minimalism and reducing expenses, I'd say townhome for now. There is just more to heat, clean, take care of inside and out of a single family home. That said, i'm partial to one b/c I have dogs and enjoy quiet yard space and a little bit of privacy. But having had that for the past 10 years, I can see a townhome in my future, or a patio home. Big houses are a lot of work.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I vote for the SFH.

Bad neighbors are bad anywhere, but they're even worse when they're right on top of you with only tissue paper walls separating you. They can turn a "dream TH" into a "nightmare TH". Then there's the parking issues at most TH developments.

IMO, unless you're talking Georgetown or Old Town Alex....rowhouses are for people that can't afford a detached residence.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I am still of the opinion that the TH is the way to go. You are trying to project what your life will be like 10 years down the road. You may project accurately, or not. The TH more than meets your needs for right now and the forseeable future. Just keep in mind that a SFH will require a lot more maintenance, yard work (mowing, weeds, landscaping), heating/cooling bills, etc. and will put you further away from the shopping which is so convenient with the TH.

car54 - are you referring to a luxury 2900 sq. foot townhouse a row home for people that can't afford a detached residence? LOL, that is nonsense. Many, many people prefer the lower maintenance of a townhouse and considering that many SFH are merely feet away from another.....

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 AM

28 posts, read 50,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I vote for the SFH.

Bad neighbors are bad anywhere, but they're even worse when they're right on top of you with only tissue paper walls separating you. They can turn a "dream TH" into a "nightmare TH". Then there's the parking issues at most TH developments.

IMO, unless you're talking Georgetown or Old Town Alex....rowhouses are for people that can't afford a detached residence.
Wow, such a negative view of townhomes! Not to worry about the parking as this has a 2 car garage and can fit another 4 cars in the driveway. Plus don't think people paying 0.5 mil for a townhouse are you typical riffraff in the row homes you may have seen.

Also, to everyone who says SFH because it appreciates more- yes, if I were solely deciding on the basis of an investment- yes I agree. But it doesn't match what I want now and low maintenance of townhouse, and the convenience of ideal location.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatsLady View Post
Wow, such a negative view of townhomes! Not to worry about the parking as this has a 2 car garage and can fit another 4 cars in the driveway. Plus don't think people paying 0.5 mil for a townhouse are you typical riffraff in the row homes you may have seen.

Also, to everyone who says SFH because it appreciates more- yes, if I were solely deciding on the basis of an investment- yes I agree. But it doesn't match what I want now and low maintenance of townhouse, and the convenience of ideal location.
I don't think that Townhouses are bad, they are great first homes. Our first home was a Townhouse. Yes, there are some that have the configuration of apartments and the same concerns. Others are more like homes. In this area, I think that SFH are a better investment, because everyone I know has had no problem renting out their house if they had to suddenly move. It took a bit longer for the people I know with Townhouses. You can usually charge more in rent for SFH over Townhouses too. So, looking at it as an investment, it would be better. For us, the maintenance of a Townhouse and SFH were nearly identical. But, why ask for opinions, if you already had your mind set for a Townhouse? We haven't lived in Brambleton all that long compared to others in this thread, but we have been honest about our experiences. That is what you wanted right? I know that buying a home is a huge and emotional investment, believe me, it is a huge commitment and in some ways larger than even getting married! But, it is one to put a lot of thought in, and if you aren't ready to make the decision yet, just wait. There is no harm in doing that.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I currently live in a townhouse since it is just my husband and I. We thought we would have kids and had every intention and it didn't happen...so I'm happy we didn't initially go for the 'what if' big house though we definitely thought about it and looked at them. In our neighborhood we have no problem selling townhouses and no problem renting them. It's probably the location. But with this being such a transient area, I don't think you'll have an issue either way. The SFH my appreciate a a bit higher....but remember around here - location, location, location. You can sell a TH for a lot more than you can a SFH if the location is right.

Remember - everyone is going to have a different opinion. Good to consider everything. In the end, buy what you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia