U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,209,341 times

Advertisements

Do all the structural upgrades. All cosmetic upgrades can wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM

67 posts, read 128,203 times
They claim is same grade as the one in model house. But will check again what they are giving. Thanks for the headsup.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,540,907 times
Some builders use "free" upgrades as a negotiating point while refusing to budge on base price in order not to tick off previous buyers or to set a new low comparable for potential buyers. Whether they will do this will depend on their perception of market conditions. So you may want to talk about your agent about negotiating for these rather than simply agreeing to pay for all of them.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM

263 posts, read 798,274 times
Each buyer is different but spend your money on the structural upgrades now (Bay Window, Full walkout basement, Exterior options, upstairs bedroom/bath configuration) and hold off on the cosmetic changes (Flooring, Bathroom cabinets, Fixtures, etc) . Many times the builders will charge quite a bit more than something for the convenience. Also the big builders buy standards many of the time in bulk and overcharge on the modifications

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 70,737 times
I would suggest going for the upgraded staircase too as I have heard, it is too expensive to do it later on. I have friends who bought in stone gate last year, A chapel hil on 0.3 acres and all the upgrades,without finished basement around 700 k. don' t know how much the builder is selling it now for?
Anyway good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 AM

Chappe hill base model is $760K. We were looking at roosevelt base price is $694K

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatsLady View Post
5500 for each bathroom is expensive. my builder is adding full bath for 3800. The rough-ins come standard so I may just add it myself for cheaper after we move in.
I would love to know how you can get a bathroom for such a low price. We'd love to add a bath to our home, but the quotes we got are much higher. Maybe it's because we have an older home and it requires moving some plumbing around, but even without that the price is way more than 5500.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Will check with the builder again when we visit them and update you.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,861,308 times
Having bought a new home in late 2011 in a neighborhood that was still under construction - buy the structural upgrades from the builder, and leave the cosmetic upgrades for a different contractor later. The price differences, and at times quality of materials used and workmanship, can be dramatic. For instance, with us, to change the dining room from carpet to hardwood at the builder stage, would've been $10,000 just for one room. A 15x15 paver patio, $15,000! We can change the flooring in the dining room for $1,500 with better materials, and got a much larger custom deck plus nearly 500 feet of custom wood fencing for a lot less than the builder's $15,000 patio (which was nothing more than maybe 20 paving stones). Unless if you need to roll the upgrades into the loan, I'd say just buy the house as bare-bones as possible, with the structural upgrades that you want, and then do the cosmetic stuff as you like going forward.

Also - understand that with wood construction, you're going to have some things that the builder will need to come back and fix in a year. Settlement cracks in the drywall, loosening floorboards, etc. We have builder installed hardwood floors in some parts of our house, that are having to be pulled up and reinstalled due to gaps due to the house settling process next week. The wood framing will need to find it's proper moisture and ph balance as it goes through it's first cycle of all 4 seasons. As it does this, it'll expand, contract, and twist a little bit. It's normal, but keep that in mind before you spend a lot of money on interior upgrades. Painting, is one of the big ones that I'm hearing other's in my neighborhood had wished they had waited for the settlement process to have completed before doing it. Doubtful the builder will come back to fix settlement cracks and then repaint the repair beyond the basic builder's white color.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM

244 posts, read 484,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejvan View Post
We are thinking of buying a new home from NV homes in stone gate community in Ashburn and trying to identify upgrades that can be done later. These are the things we are planning on taking from builder. Another question is does it make sense to add the upgrades now and add it to the price of the house-I have to pay down the amount anyway to get confirmed jumbo loan- does the increase purchased price matters when selling
Generally speaking, you should opt for structural and opening type upgrades at the time of purchase. Trim and fixtures are must easier to upgrade later correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejvan View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]

Bay window in living and dining
Morning room
Extra bathroom upstairs and basement (builder is charging 5500 for each bath room is ti fair price)
Hardwood in living and dining
Pre wiring for fans
Carpet runner on the stairs
Upgrade cabinets in bathrooms
12X12 tiles in the owners bathroom
Double door walkup from basement VS single door walkup? ( Not sure what to take)
Bay windows, morning room, extra bathroom, pre-wiring for fans, and double door in basement are definitely things I would do with the builder. The pre-wiring may be possible to do afterwards but the cost is almost certainly higher since it will involve drywall work, which if not done correctly will make your ceiling look like crap.

Hardwood, carpet runner - these are things you can definitely do on your own effectively and have more choices. Figure on $5 to $10 per sqft for installed hardwood depending on what you end up choosing.

Tiles are harder to determine. They are not hard to install, but removing the old tile is a pain and they may have to rip up the existing cement board underneath. The incremental cost to upgrade to 12x12 may be worth it.

Cabinet upgrades make sense as long as you don't go crazy with it. Some upgrades are very reasonable, such as a few hundred dollars for a more attractive color collection, a more decorative panel, additional trim, or windowed doors. It really depends on the cost. You should think twice about getting cabinet upgrades that are several thousand dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia