U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM

281 posts, read 629,123 times

Advertisements

IF there is a blizzard tomorrow and the Federal Government is closed will your employer make you come into your workplace anyway?

I am retired now but remember some huge snow storms but some really tough bosses made me and the rest of his team report to work doing basic office work (that could have waited till the next day after the roads were cleared). If some one did not show up for work they were written up and in a few cases fired.

Once I sat in traffic in blinding show for almost three hours and arrived at work late and the boss almost fired me. I told him I had been in a traffic jam for three hours trying to get to the office. He told me I should have left earlier.

I know some people can work from home but my bosses thought that was the easy way out and would not allow it.

So, If the is a blizzard tomorrow will you have to work at your workplace? (not at home) and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
I once worked for a small company (not in NOVA) where the CEO would arrive late most every day but when a potentially big storm hit, he would "man up" and be virtually the first person to arrive if only to make a point.

I believe many companies follow the Federal Government's lead, whether or not they work with them. I would like to think that if there's a foot on the ground by tomorrow morning - or even six inches - that most managers would use common sense in allowing for (very) late arrivals or working from home or simply shutting down for the day. It will be interesting to see the responses here.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
99% chance the fed gov will not close down tomorrow--unless it's a ridiculous blizzard on the order of Snowmageddon. Otherwise, it'll be liberal-leave and liberal-telework.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
When I worked as a contractor for the federal government, we did not get snow days. If the government closed, we either had to come in or take leave. If the federal government was closed, we could not close and bill hours. This was before telework really took off so there really wasn't that option. If the storm was REALLY bad, I just took off. If it was medium, I would generally go in.

Now I work for the government but I am under a telework agreement so if the government does close down tomorrow, I am required to telework.

I agree with Carlingtonian, I don't think we will shut down in the morning unless the storm is way more intense than predicted. It really all depends on how Metrorail is running.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM

7,923 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
IF there is a blizzard tomorrow....
Wow! So now the "snow" hysteria has started to call this storm a blizzard?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Well we telecommute full time anyway so will be business as usual as long as the power doesn't go out. If that occurs we'll just probably take an impromptu vacation day. Both our bosses work from home in the Midwest so they understand.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM

968 posts, read 1,440,559 times
Nah, I'll work from home. I have not yet worked at an office job in NOVA that wouldn't allow me to work from home when needed. Then again, I think I've always mentioned that as a preference when interviewing and would be unlikely to accept a position that wouldn't afford such flexibility. That said, I've been very fortunate to have the option to be so picky about my employment decisions.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Then again, I think I've always mentioned that as a preference when interviewing and would be unlikely to accept a position that wouldn't afford such flexibility. That said, I've been very fortunate to have the option to be so picky about my employment decisions.
Guess we should cross Yahoo off our list of potential employers.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
My company doesn't close - we're all virtual office (well, I sometimes go to my friend's house who owns the company to work and call that "going to the office" but she doesn't make me drive when the weather is bad). As long as I have power and an internet connection, I work. Which is going to suck if kiddo is home from school tomorrow. We have a BIG project this week and our client doesn't give a crap about some snowstorm that only affects a couple of our employees.

It would be lovely if I could actually ENJOY the snow day - downside of working from home with non-local clients.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,128,275 times
I remember back in the day here in Loudoun, we used to walk to work uphill in the snow. Both ways. THAT was a tough commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia