U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

My BF and I are in our 60s and are planning on buying a home together. We have kids and grandkids in Leesburg and love theater and restaurants in DC, so we were thinking someplace in between. Currently we work in Arlington and Alexandria, but will retire in another year or so. We want a single family home with a little land (not a new development with no trees). Love homes with character, like Arts and Crafts, but that is not essential. Near nature, a lake, walking areas would be nice. We enjoy the atmosphere of Old Town, but not sure if we can find anything like that and still meet our location desires. We want to spend less than 1 million! (although that eliminates a lot, I know...crazy, isn't it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM

1,590 posts, read 2,134,731 times
based off that criteria, I'd be inclined to look in McLean.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
Hard to find homes with character there.

Reston - has the lakes, some shopping and walking around, close to future Metro to visit city, but not too far from Leesburg.
Vienna - no lake, some shopping, near Metro
Falls Church City?
McLean?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,643,701 times
Lake Barcroft?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,135 times
You want to avoid any area where route 66 is your only option. For less than a million, reston, vienna or ffx are your best options. Stay away from any town off of i-95. Terrible traffic mixed with too many ... and angry... people who have to sit in traffic and are probably upside down in mortgages.

THAT IS THE TRUTH...anyone else is trying to sell you something.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: stereotypes; why the euphemisms, eh?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
I know exactly what you're looking for. Here's what I suggest:

West End Alexandria, or the far eastern portion of Bailey's Crossroads. Some old houses on big lots there, and easy proximity to Alex and Arlington--and DC. Cheapish because the schools are iffy.

Close-in Fairfax--Annandale, Sleepy Hollow--big lots, postwar houses, big trees.

South Arlington--Pricier than the above and smaller lots, but closer in.

Merrifield/Dunn Loring/Mantua/Oakton--nice big houses on big lots, but pricier because the schools are great.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,536,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1215 View Post
My BF and I are in our 60s and are planning on buying a home together. We have kids and grandkids in Leesburg and love theater and restaurants in DC, so we were thinking someplace in between. Currently we work in Arlington and Alexandria, but will retire in another year or so. We want a single family home with a little land (not a new development with no trees). Love homes with character, like Arts and Crafts, but that is not essential. Near nature, a lake, walking areas would be nice. We enjoy the atmosphere of Old Town, but not sure if we can find anything like that and still meet our location desires. We want to spend less than 1 million! (although that eliminates a lot, I know...crazy, isn't it?)
I think Reston will fit your requirements nicely.
Easy access to Leesburg for visiting grandkids
Good access on nights and weekends to DC for theater and restaurants
Not a bad commute to Arlington - though a little problematic for Alexandria
Lots of trees!!!
Nature - lakes - and walking trails abound in Reston
Here are is an option in your price range
1348 RED HAWK CIR, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
Here is on a little over your price range
11303 BRIGHT POND LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
Here is one with lots of character - priced a little over your range - I went to the open house when it was on the market a few years ago - it is a very nice house with great bones and a wonderful location surrounded by nature, but based on the amount of updating needed I think it is priced a little high.
11111 LAWYERS RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
Inventory is low so you may have to spend some time waiting for just the right property to come on the market - it will be worth the wait.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,001,689 times
Once having to commute to work is no longer an issue I think Annandale offers the most. Fairfax would be a decent outlier choice.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,869,904 times
Why not rent a TH in Arlington/Alexandria, get used to the area, and then decide on a "for good" place after you retire?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1215 View Post
In that price range you can get a small place Old Town, Alexandria or a home close to downtown Leesburg. Why not just stay in Old Town? The only issue with downtown in OT and Leesburg is that homes with character are old homes, and old homes, as I know firsthand, require a lot of maintenance. It can really be a drain, and not just financially. You could also get an amazing new home in Haymarket, near the town. Personally, I'm really fond of Haymarket - if it keeps it's small town character and doesn't get eaten by Gainesville, it will be really nice in a few years. Or a really nice home in Heritage Hunt in Gainesville (the retirement community - very nice and worth a look, even if you don't think you want an adult community). You could probably find something in Vienna as well, and then there's Clifton. I'm not sure how close to town a million will get you in Clifton (or less than a million), but it fits your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia