U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 AM
 
5,693 posts, read 5,591,343 times
Reputation: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
Okay, I've seen "loss leaders" around here a few times. Is that a Virginian thing? I've never heard of it. What exactly is loss leaders. I mean, I'm guessing it's some sort of savings thing.
No, it's not a Virginia thing. I've heard it multiples on internet forums from various parts of the country. I never really knew what it was either until I learned there were people that shopped that way.

Basically, some grocery stores will offer 3-5 items (sometimes more) per week that are greatly discounted. It could be anything from Tide Laundry Detergent to Chicken Breasts to ice cream. They offer enough each week to draw you into the store and hope you will do the rest of your shopping there.

Just about every store does it with the exception of Wegman's. Wegman's doesn't even put a weekly ad out--maybe just a seasonal one. Yet, Wegman's does have items on sale all the time. There sales general last 3 weeks. For instance, I often purchase Rao's Homemade Pasta Sauce. It is about $8 a jar. Wegman's will often have it for $6.99 a jar but I never know when (no ad) and when they do, it is generally reduced for several weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2013, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,012 posts, read 2,846,056 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just about every store does it with the exception of Wegman's. Wegman's doesn't even put a weekly ad out--maybe just a seasonal one. Yet, Wegman's does have items on sale all the time. There sales general last 3 weeks. For instance, I often purchase Rao's Homemade Pasta Sauce. It is about $8 a jar. Wegman's will often have it for $6.99 a jar but I never know when (no ad) and when they do, it is generally reduced for several weeks.
Wegmans also has a set list of items that will be on sale for months at a time. They call it "Consistent Low Prices" on things that people buy the most. (Prices vary by store.) This current list goes through April 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Status: "Unbalanced Scales" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: 10 Years Later from ...
7,470 posts, read 4,965,606 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
All the Bottom Dollars in MD and VA closed.

The only place comparable now is Aldi.
I remember them changing all the Blooms to Food Lions, but I did not realize they shut Bottom Dollar down. Wow that is a bummer because I used to save a ton of money going there. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
5,644 posts, read 2,017,700 times
Reputation: 20518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I remember them changing all the Blooms to Food Lions, but I did not realize they shut Bottom Dollar down. Wow that is a bummer because I used to save a ton of money going there. Thanks for the info.
Food Lion owned both Bloom's and Bottom Dollar.

Last edited by John13; 03-07-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
5,644 posts, read 2,017,700 times
Reputation: 20518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
WEGMANS is the only grocery store worth shopping at in NOVA.
I like Wegman's too but I do not think it fits in this topic.

OP's best bet is Shoppers Food Warehouse.
For what they have Wall Mart and Target will offer lower grocery prices than the chains in most cases. I have been to a Wall Mart where they have a full grocery store but I think they are rare in this area. If there is one I would rank that first and Shoppers second.

For produce check out H-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (formerly Vienna, VA)
5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
Reputation: 4307
There are many ways in the area to keep your grocery budget to $350-$400 per month. As many have mentioned, Aldi's is a very inexpensive grocery store. You could easily feed your family of 4 by just shopping there.

If you are more into name brands however and have more time than money, you can clip coupons and get fabulous deals at stores like Harris Teeter. HT is generally a pretty expensive grocery store, but they double coupons up to 99 cents and on various occasions have triple coupons (triple coupons up to 99 cents) or super double coupons which is double coupons up to $2. There are various blogs where people keep a list of the good deals to buy during these super coupon weeks or even during the regular ones. They also have great sales - such as buy 2, get 3 free. For example, their 8 ounce shredded cheese package is priced high regularly (about $3.75 per package), but during their buy 2 get 3 free, you get 5 packages for $7.50. Giant and Safeway double coupons, too, with Safeway having better prices and deals than Giant.

Don't overlook "high-end" grocery stores, either. Trader Joe's has some great deals on products without food coloring, preservatives, etc. And they have consistent prices all year long - no sales. Any while many people call Whole Foods, "Whole Paycheck" I found that they have some decent everyday prices on their 365 brand such as their cream cheese, their bread, all-fruit jelly, etc.

Other people mentioned Shopper's Food Warehouse. When I first moved to the DC area over 20 years ago, Shopper's was truly warehouse-like with stacked cartons above the shelves, low lighting, low prices, etc. It has moved more mainstream over the years. Since I had grocery stores closer to me than Shopper's I went there infrequently, so I'm not sure of their pricing strategy.

There are Asian grocery stores that others have mentioned, which usually have good produce prices.

And everyone else has already mentioned Wegman's.

Of course, there is Wal-Mart and Target, whose prices you are probably familiar with, too.

Overall, there are several competing supermarkets around NoVA, and you should be able to find a store or stores that work for you and your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
 
576 posts, read 950,695 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
Okay, I've seen "loss leaders" around here a few times. Is that a Virginian thing? I've never heard of it. What exactly is loss leaders. I mean, I'm guessing it's some sort of savings thing.

Oh, and I'm wondering... Is NIU, Northern Illinois? If so, I'm a fellow Husky. And if you are from IL, is there anything in NoVA comparable to Meijer or Woodman's, if you're familiar with either of those.
Hi Nepats. I see that people have defined "loss leader." They are often on the front page of the weekly ad. For instance, occasionally Harris Teeter offers fresh chicken legs (the drumstick/thigh combos) for $.59 per pound, far less than other grocery stores sell them, even when on sale. Of course, once you're inside, the prices for everything else are pretty sky-high.

And to answer your quesiton, yes, NIU refes to Northern Illinois. Meijer was never close to where we lived (Chicago- Logan Square neighborhood- and Dekalb), so I don't have a direct comparison. However, we had friends in Rockford and occasionally stopped by Woodman's. I would say Wegmans is the closest to Woodman's, but the feeling of the two stores is very different. Wegmans is a fancier store (for example, I don't remember Woodman's having a gourmet restaurant stations), but is comparable in terms of size and overall variety.

Overall, though, there are some things from Illinois that you just can't replicate out here. For instance, I have never found anything comparable to Farm & Fleet or Menards. That may be a good thing, though I would love to see some of the suits and lobbyists in the area talking about the latest find at Farm & Fleet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
 
2,866 posts, read 4,890,863 times
Reputation: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If you are more into name brands however and have more time than money, you can clip coupons and get fabulous deals at stores like Harris Teeter. HT is generally a pretty expensive grocery store, but they double coupons up to 99 cents and on various occasions have triple coupons (triple coupons up to 99 cents) or super double coupons which is double coupons up to $2. There are various blogs where people keep a list of the good deals to buy during these super coupon weeks or even during the regular ones. They also have great sales - such as buy 2, get 3 free. For example, their 8 ounce shredded cheese package is priced high regularly (about $3.75 per package), but during their buy 2 get 3 free, you get 5 packages for $7.50. Giant and Safeway double coupons, too, with Safeway having better prices and deals than Giant.
Shoppers doubles coupons as well.

Quote:
Don't overlook "high-end" grocery stores, either. Trader Joe's has some great deals on products without food coloring, preservatives, etc. And they have consistent prices all year long - no sales. Any while many people call Whole Foods, "Whole Paycheck" I found that they have some decent everyday prices on their 365 brand such as their cream cheese, their bread, all-fruit jelly, etc.
That's true. I bought some salad at Whole Foods and was shocked that the everyday price was lower than the everyday price at any of the mainstream stores. TJ's also offers some great everyday low prices.

Quote:
Other people mentioned Shopper's Food Warehouse. When I first moved to the DC area over 20 years ago, Shopper's was truly warehouse-like with stacked cartons above the shelves, low lighting, low prices, etc. It has moved more mainstream over the years. Since I had grocery stores closer to me than Shopper's I went there infrequently, so I'm not sure of their pricing strategy.
They were a bit cheaper in their "warehouse" days. They also seemed more popular at that time. I think they should have stayed with that strategy.

Shoppers is still cheaper than Giant or Safeway now, but the gap has closed a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 AM
 
1,163 posts, read 869,304 times
Reputation: 725
Interesting thread, especially since I feel like lately I'm spending a small fortune every time I shop at Giant. I mainly started noticing it after my son started eating solids. The kid loves fruit so produce is a huge part of our bill now. I've thought about trying somewhere else like Safeway or the new Target that opened near us or maybe a Walmart to compare the cost difference. We also joined Costco to buy some things in bulk which I think helps some.

The problem with alot of these savings methods for me is who needs to buy 5 packages of shredded cheese at one time as noted above by another poster? Yeah you can freeze them, but you start doing that alot and you'll need to purchase a second freezer to store all this stuff. My freezer is already full from a few of the things I buy in bulk at Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM
 
20 posts, read 10,865 times
Reputation: 16
Are there many Super Targets/Targets with Fresh Express groceries in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top