U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM

13 posts, read 26,082 times

Advertisements

I love Aldi's. I think their prices are great. I actually prefer their house brand items over many name brands. I go there for the basics. I don't buy meat there (get that from a butcher). Someone said they don't buy their produce but they have great produce at my local aldi's. obviously you can't only shop there tho since their selection is limited. good note about aldi's: read their ingredient labels - a lot of it has simple natural ingredients, words you can read. definite plus.

I actually go out of my way to go to a large international grocery store (Global in Woodbridge VA). it's asian, middle eastern, hispanic. Their produce is amazing and super cheap. I get other things there as well but DO NOT buy american food there - so expensive.

I do my quick runs to walmart because it's in walking distance from my house (but I still drive.. lol). Good prices on basics. If I need to get something out of the ordinary I'd pick shoppers first, they have the best selection for what I'm usually looking for. I do agree that Wegman's has good prices on their store brand items.

When I move somewhere... I go to a different grocery store each time I need to shop and then I compare. I don't like that I have to go so many different places but there isn't a place that has everything I need. But definitely go check out a large international grocery store if produce is a big concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Default LOVED Woodman's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
And if you are from IL, is there anything in NoVA comparable to Meijer or Woodman's, if you're familiar with either of those.
I lived in Kenosha, WI for a number of years and there was a Woodman's there. BEST STORE EVER!!! there is nothing comparable here. Nothing even close Woodman's had everything at great prices. I got hooked on so many new items and now I can't find them anywhere. I swear if I ever go visit, I'm taking a suitcase just to stock up on some spicy giardianaro (ok I know that is spelled wrong).

I go to Global Food for produce. like someone else said, bananas are more expensive there. and I never tried their lettuce. Strawberries are more expensive there too.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 PM

30 posts, read 41,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafarhan View Post
I lived in Kenosha, WI for a number of years and there was a Woodman's there. BEST STORE EVER!!! there is nothing comparable here. Nothing even close Woodman's had everything at great prices. I got hooked on so many new items and now I can't find them anywhere. I swear if I ever go visit, I'm taking a suitcase just to stock up on some spicy giardianaro (ok I know that is spelled wrong).

I go to Global Food for produce. like someone else said, bananas are more expensive there. and I never tried their lettuce. Strawberries are more expensive there too.

Yeah, I am really going to miss Woodman's. Best selection, like you said, they carry things I had never heard of, and best prices, at least in the Rockford area.

And if you're really missing giardinierayou can buy quite a few brands of it on Woodman's online store. Or, the Vienna Beef website sells their own, as well, but IMO, it's not as good as some others. Although, I may have to use the Vienna Beef website to buy some dogs and beef when I'm out in VA.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,864,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, out of curiosity, how many of the "clip coupons, scour all ads, visit multiple grocery stores each week" people are the same who always advise people not to move far out, because the commute will take too much time away from your family?

One would think all of this time dedicated to shopping also takes a lot of time away from enjoying your families.
+1.

Seriously, at some point all the driving between Food Lion/Wegmans/Safeway/Giant/USA Market/Target/Walmart/Costco (here in Leesburg) will have its own cost. A service that costs $10 a month and does all this for you might be worth subscribing to. If I know I'm getting A at Wegmans, B/C at Giant, and D/E at USA Market (small Latino grocery), then I'd be golden.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
And if you're really missing giardinierayou can buy quite a few brands of it on Woodman's online store.
I had no clue they had an online store. Definitely going to check that out.. Thank You!

And YES, they are way cheaper!!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 100,714 times
Wow thanks for all the responses.

I visited a Wegman's today. I was blown away! Both by the amazing selection and awesome food and by the fact that the prices were actually comparable to the prices I'm used to in Idaho. Milk's a little more (by about 50 cents), but orange juice, cereal (we do generic), peanut butter, bread, toilet paper, were right on par with what we pay for now.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,610,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Wow thanks for all the responses.

I visited a Wegman's today. I was blown away! Both by the amazing selection and awesome food and by the fact that the prices were actually comparable to the prices I'm used to in Idaho. Milk's a little more (by about 50 cents), but orange juice, cereal (we do generic), peanut butter, bread, toilet paper, were right on par with what we pay for now.
That's interesting about the milk because it's so much cheaper at Wegman's than any other place. On the rare occasions when I have to buy milk elsewhere because I don't get to Wegman's, I'm amazed that it's at least a $1 more per gallon.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM

7,936 posts, read 9,661,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
That's interesting about the milk because it's so much cheaper at Wegman's than any other place. On the rare occasions when I have to buy milk elsewhere because I don't get to Wegman's, I'm amazed that it's at least a $1 more per gallon.
The OP wasn't comparing Wegmann's costs to other places here, but to back in Idaho.

As far as I know, we aren't close to any large dairy farms here. Could be that the OPs location in Idaho was surrounded by them. That could certainly account for cost difference.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM

169 posts, read 301,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candicem View Post
They opened up an aldie store very close to me in Chantilly, and we checked it out. We were honestly grossed out. Everything is pure junk. The produce was moldy and the store just opened! It was all junk food there. The first thing you see when you walk in the sore is chips and candy. Really dissapointed. We will not go there ever again. You also have to pay a quarter to use a cart and you have to pay for your own bags and you have to bag your own food, lol! .
I just visited this Aldi and was pleasantly surprised. They had a great selection of produce, and what I bought was fresh. Yes, they put their chips and candy near the front of the store, but don't a lot of grocery stores?

One way Aldi is able to maintain low prices is by minimizing overhead costs. Paying to use a buggy and for bags as well as bagging your own groceries helps keep costs to the consumer low.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM

968 posts, read 1,442,945 times
Yup, milk prices vary by region/area. Things like eggs do, too. I have seen folks online in other areas of the country reporting outrageous prices for items like these when prices for me locally hadn't gone up significantly or at all.

Like I mentioned earlier, in a direct item-to-item comparison between Wegmans and Target, Wegmans won every time. I'm not sure why some people think it's so expensive. Maybe they just tend to buy more when shopping at Wegmans because there is so much more to choose from?

I recently started buying grass-fed beef, and Wegmans' is cheaper per pound than Target or Giant. I couldn't find any at all at my Walmart.

I won't even step foot in a Harris Teeter anymore. I did once and noticed the Hormel brand natural packaged lunch meat was a good $1.50 more than even at Giant. I have friend who swear by Harris Teeter's fabulous coupons, but, IMO, they probably end up spending the same after coupons at Harris Teeter as they would elsewhere without! It's called marketing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia