Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM

178 posts, read 574,596 times

Advertisements

I give up. Finally decided I need someone to help keep my house clean, but don't know where to start. Anyone have any good (or bad) experiences with cleaners? What do I need to do to prepare (besides getting rid of clutter)? Does the dog need to be boarded for the day? Do I need to be home (at least when they first arrive)? What else do I need to know?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I would start by asking your neighbors for a recommendation.

It's been a while since I had a regular cleaning lady, but when I did, I gave her a key to my house. She came highly recommended by friends who trusted her and used her for several years. She would usually arrive when I was dropping my kids off at pre-school and then I would just remain out of the house for several hours so she could finish without me around. At this time, I had my preschool kids, and also a newborn (who grew up to a toddler while we still had the cleaning lady) so while it was a bit inconvenient to stay out of the house, I think it made it easier on the cleaning lady. I know lots of people who don't leave the house, and I'm sure that's fine too. I just feel awkward being home, watching someone else clean my house.

I don't know if you necessarily have to board your dog. Is there one small room your dog can stay in, that you don't necessarily need the cleaning person to clean?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
One of my neighbors is in this business. A one-woman show. She's been doing it for some time and has dogs so she's used to them. Very nice and I believe trustworthy.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I received a recommendation from my sister (and have since recommended her to a few co-workers and friends.) She's completely dog-friendly and just cleans around them. She arrives sometime during the day when I'm working. I choose to not be there, but a friend is normally home when she comes.

So, I think, it's all about the individual situation and the individual cleaner/ company. I think you just need to have a discussion when first meeting and tell her what you expect/ want. If they are cool with that, you've probably found your house cleaner.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I used to have a cleaner. I work full-time so I was never home nor wanted to be. I put my dogs in the basement on the days she came. She had her own key.

We had to definitely declutter the night before so she could actually clean. Kind of hard to clean the kitchen counters when there's junk sitting all over them.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks all...now any names you'd like to share

Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
I have used individuals a couple of times over the years with some missed results. Part of the problem is if you are unhappy with the job their doing, it can be a bit awkward. We had too many missed appointments and she would end up coming when it wasn't convenient for us, etc. I ended up going with a company (Merry Maids) and for a long time we had the same ladies each time. Over the years it can be different people but if I have an issue I just call the office and the problem is resolved. In the 4 years since we've used them I called once and said I wasn't happy with the job and they sent a crew the same week and recleaned the house. For the most part we aren't home when they come and since they only clean the main and top floor, having the dogs in the basemnet isn't an issue.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM

429 posts, read 954,328 times
My parets used to live in Bristow and used Merry Maids. They were also very happy with them.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
Thanks all...now any names you'd like to share
Did you get my PM yesterday?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Did you get my PM yesterday?
Yes, just did. Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia