Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

I'm 20. Female...and currently not sure what direction I want my life to go in...however I would like to meet new people...not dating...but seesh Like omg I am just terrible with meeting people perhaps I should start walking up to random people in stores and asking them to hang......lol...but seriously I will be 21 in June...and I guess the bar will be the only place to meet people ? That can't be true...I just want to be more social...and not sure how...and now I'm here on this forum...I hope this doesn't make me look bad...wait is this bad ?? Idk I just need advice thanks...PS I'm writing this on my phone so excuse any errors its hard to type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Do you have any hobbies? You could join some groups that are based on those hobbies
Church
Volunteer Work
Classes

What do you like to do? What are you interested in?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:09 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Get a job at someplace with lots of young people - like Target or the mall. Join Meetups for activities you like. Take a class in something interesting at Nova.

The main thing is getting out.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:42 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Get a job at someplace with lots of young people - like Target or the mall. Join Meetups for activities you like. Take a class in something interesting at Nova.

The main thing is getting out.
Agreed.

There's a lot of different ways - work, following your interests, meetup, etc.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Meetup.com, small concert venues like Jammin Java, volunteering for a cause you feel passionate about, keep an eye out on Yelp as they have a listing of events in the area, look at Free and Cheap sites for what's going on in the area.

A big one for me was always leaning towards yes when people asked me to do something even if it was inconvenient or outside my comfort zone or last minute. Some of my best times came from a last minute thing.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
If you are interested in politics, volunteering for a campaign can be a good way to meet people. It is a presidential election year after all and Virginia is like ground zero.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
Thanks those are all great tips I was think of going the volunteer route So if you know of any sites or great places let me know. I would live to help out in the community thats somethingiI'm really interested in.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Honestly, a good place I would suggest is a Crossfit box. You get to work out and meet other like-minded and fun people. Made new friends like that in the past.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:17 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blawesome View Post
Thanks those are all great tips I was think of going the volunteer route So if you know of any sites or great places let me know. I would live to help out in the community thats somethingiI'm really interested in.
First off, thank you for coming back to reply and post again. So many people turn into one time posters after a lot of people have tried to help them. CD is a friendly group here!

Now, as for where to look, if you are in or near Fairfax, check out Volunteer Fairfax. Lots of info there.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Look for local restaurants with trivia nights. We're an older couple who had a great time at one at a brewery. There are "teams" so you can look for a group that you think might work and ask to join in. We didn't know anyone and just asked if seats were available. We ended up with a couple in their late 20s, a couple in their early 40s and us (60s).

It was so informal and fun!

Just be sure to find one near your house so you know you're interacting with people local to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: