Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM

939 posts, read 1,888,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
West Virginia Brewing Company (Morgantown) made very good beer before going belly up. I heard that some of the principles for that venture our involved in Morgantown Brewing Company. I've yet to try it. I was a big fan of WV Brewing. Served it at my wedding reception.
I think I was there before they closed, as I used to go from around 2003-2006 (I think they closed briefly during that period), and I remember warm, flat beer. To the local population, yes, it was better than most places, but I didn't think they were that great. As long as you don't care if it's coming from WV or not, there are bars that have great selections in Morgantown itself (Gibbies comes to mind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
This map shows 7 breweries in the NoVa area, and 9 in the MD/Baltimore area.

As for Crying continuing to state that VA can't stack up, these sites would claim otherwise:
United States breweries by state -Learn how to home brew, rate the best beers and share beer recipes with enthusiasts on the Beer Wiki! - shows 10 in MD, 11 in VA

Brewers Association | Find US Brewery - shows 103 in Va, 49 in MD

Beer Me! — The most complete source of brewery information worldwide. - shows MD only contains about 60% as many breweries.

As for just ease of access to beers, I would put Total Wine up against any store I've ever run across in Maryland, and it's basically the size of a kmart (I assume Total Wines just took over Kmart spaces as they closed down over the years). Of course, they both suck when you look at places like the Liquor Barn in Kentucky.

Schooled again Cry. But just like those budgetary numbers on the WV forum, you can choose to just ignore the raw numbers and just repeat your opinions over and over until you believe them.
Yep, im schooled by some randon website.

Oh wow no mention of quality, production, or sales. I might as well **** in a cup and sale it as a microbrew with a little bit of yeast. Lets not use critical thinking and think of how much bigger VA is in land area than MD, and population. That involves actually thinking. Something you are not good at.

Whatever you say Gustavo.

Wow, per one of your sources lets look at top 50 breweries.

Oh wow 2 for MD none for VA.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...weries-in-2011

Wow, per your own source MD breweries sell much more than VA breweries.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...ies-per-capita

Stop making a fool of yourself because you are upset that I presented you facts done like.

Gustavo stick to coors light you dont know beer. You could say you know as much about beer as you do about WV.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-18-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

799 posts, read 1,286,845 times
Quote:
I think I was there before they closed, as I used to go from around 2003-2006 (I think they closed briefly during that period), and I remember warm, flat beer. To the local population, yes, it was better than most places, but I didn't think they were that great. As long as you don't care if it's coming from WV or not, there are bars that have great selections in Morgantown itself (Gibbies comes to mind).
To grossly understate the matter, the brewery was poorly managed. The quality of the beer varied. There were some great home runs. There was also beer that had no business being served. The kegs I had delivered for a wedding just outside of Charles Town were phenomenal. You could get their beers on draught at quite a few places in the Eastern Panhandle. Those experiences were much better than the visits I had to the brewpub in Morgantown.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM

NOVA's beer scene has gone through some ups and downs. When Old Dominion sold out, it was like the Dark Ages of craft brew descended upon the region. A cult favorite of mine was Bardo Rodeo in Arlington. Wild beers. Wild times. Supposedly, the brewpub is coming back. Old Dominion came back as Lost Rhino. Bill Madden at Mad Fox used to brew at Cap City in Shirlington. A lot of great brewers have been around for a spell.

I lived in Colorado for over a decade. I really like the beer scene in Virginia. It's just getting going.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
NOVA's beer scene has gone through some ups and downs. When Old Dominion sold out, it was like the Dark Ages of craft brew descended upon the region. A cult favorite of mine was Bardo Rodeo in Arlington. Wild beers. Wild times. Supposedly, the brewpub is coming back. Old Dominion came back as Lost Rhino. Bill Madden at Mad Fox used to brew at Cap City in Shirlington. A lot of great brewers have been around for a spell.

I lived in Colorado for over a decade. I really like the beer scene in Virginia. It's just getting going.
Im not putting down VA. Like I said it is inferior to MD, but MD is not that great. VA has some ok microbrews but it is largely mediocre. MD has some good beer, but not the best.

Brewpub was probably better than anything I ever had in VA, but that is a Morgantown brewery and doesnt reflect on all of WV. Everyone knows Morgantown is awesome and the rest of WV not so much.

Gustavo has personal issues with me, that is why he is being rude, from the WV forum. Such a shame I just want to talk beer.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM

30 posts, read 46,451 times
Quote:
This map shows 7 breweries in the NoVa area, and 9 in the MD/Baltimore area.

As for Crying continuing to state that VA can't stack up, these sites would claim otherwise:
United States breweries by state -Learn how to home brew, rate the best beers and share beer recipes with enthusiasts on the Beer Wiki! - shows 10 in MD, 11 in VA

Brewers Association | Find US Brewery - shows 103 in Va, 49 in MD

Beer Me! — The most complete source of brewery information worldwide. - shows MD only contains about 60% as many breweries.

As for just ease of access to beers, I would put Total Wine up against any store I've ever run across in Maryland, and it's basically the size of a kmart (I assume Total Wines just took over Kmart spaces as they closed down over the years). Of course, they both suck when you look at places like the Liquor Barn in Kentucky.

Schooled again Cry. But just like those budgetary numbers on the WV forum, you can choose to just ignore the raw numbers and just repeat your opinions over and over until you believe them.

That list of breweries by state just makes me sad. Living on the IL/WI boarder, and spending a lot of time in Michigan... I'm leaving a lot of great breweries. Even if they aren't in driving distance, we go to a few brewfests a year, where breweries from all over the midwest show up, plus you can find beers from those breweries in stores with bigger liquor departments.

Although, I am looking forward to trying new breweries in NoVA.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
That list of breweries by state just makes me sad. Living on the IL/WI boarder, and spending a lot of time in Michigan... I'm leaving a lot of great breweries. Even if they aren't in driving distance, we go to a few brewfests a year, where breweries from all over the midwest show up, plus you can find beers from those breweries in stores with bigger liquor departments.

THe problem is most of those VA breweries are not good and the very best are just slightly above average. You have to go to PA, MD, Delaware, or NY if you want good beer.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post

I know what you mean. I'm a big fan of New Glarus.

There are some great beer festivals around. Other states with great breweries of their own are relatively close. There are also wonderful beer bars. Read this:

Smoke and Barrel \ Meridian Pint Present:Taste of the Midwest with Three Floyds , New Glarus and more ! | DC Beer

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM

30 posts, read 46,451 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. I'm a big fan of New Glarus.

There are some great beer festivals around. Other states with great breweries of their own are relatively close. There are also wonderful beer bars. Read this:

Smoke and Barrel \ Meridian Pint Present:Taste of the Midwest with Three Floyds , New Glarus and more ! | DC Beer

I have actually been to both Three Floyds and New Glarus, along with many others. I really like Spotted Cow and Two Women. We can buy most WI brewed beers in our area of IL (about 10 miles from the WI border) but New Glarus does not distribute to anywhere but WI. Course, again, we are only 10 miles from WI so we can just head up over the border if we want it. Heck, the brewery is only about an hour from us, and it's nice and fresh there. Actually, one of my fav t-shirts I own comes from New Glarus. "Real women don't drink light beer."

Good to know that I may occasionally get local beers out in VA.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Next weekend, you can try much of NOVA and other regional beers all in one place:

DC Beer Fest - Beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia