Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorite VA brew? I personally find VA micro brews to not be great but apparently some dogfish is brewed there, which is good, although Troeggs is not.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Deleted orphaned portion of conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Dogfish does not brew at the Alehouses in VA/MD. The Dogfish Alehouses are franchised- they are not owned by Dogfish Head for legal reasons.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
...Do you have a favorite VA brew? I personally find VA micro brews to not be great
Which ones have you tried?

Here's a list of VA breweries: Craft Breweries Directory - Virginia Craft Beers | Specialty Brews | Homebrewing

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I liked Port City and Mad Fox in NoVA. Of the RoVA craft beers, I've been a fan of some of the Devil's Backbone and Williamsburg Alewerks beers. Starr Hill and Legend are OK, but haven't really had anything special from them.

If you were interested in a comparison with MD, I think most craft drinkers (myself included) would agree MD as a whole has VA beat, although two of your better breweries (Flying Dog and Evolution) are imports from other states.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Which ones have you tried?

Here's a list of VA breweries: Craft Breweries Directory - Virginia Craft Beers | Specialty Brews | Homebrewing

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I liked Port City and Mad Fox in NoVA. Of the RoVA craft beers, I've been a fan of some of the Devil's Backbone and Williamsburg Alewerks beers. Starr Hill and Legend are OK, but haven't really had anything special from them.

If you were interested in a comparison with MD, I think most craft drinkers (myself included) would agree MD as a whole has VA beat, although two of your better breweries (Flying Dog and Evolution) are imports from other states.
MD is better, and overall a good state. Still it is no California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, etc. Although in this day and age good microbrews come from everywhere. I've had Starr Hill, not a bad beer, but not my favorite. Other ones are St. Georges, Caiptol city, Rock botton, Sweewater, Blue and Grey, Blacksburg and Dominion. Again good, but not something great again.

I had a really good beer from VA once but I forgot the brewery and the name of it. Wish I could tell you.

Flying Dog might have started in Colorado, but it is now a MD brewery. I really like some of their beers, but others are pretty meh.

I think good things are going to happen in MD and VA as the population grows. DC attracts a big population of people who love good beer. My only complaint is I live in Moco which has alcohol control for some reason .

Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 AM

Dominion is now brewed in Delaware, despite it originally being from VA.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
New one just started up by a friend of mine in Leesburg. Great place, gets all the hops and barleys locally and grows some of their own. Has won several awards in craft brewing, finally going commercial this year. Keep a look out for them, Crooked Run Brewing. I think they are gonna be a big deal. Great location too, next to Tuscarora.
This place?

Crooked Run Brewing: A Farmhouse Nanobrewery by Jake Endres — Kickstarter

Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Devil's Backbone and Williamsburg Alewerks are better than anything I've had out of MD. And Mad Fox is the best brew pub in NOVA. The best beer bar in the DC metro area is Churchkey in DC.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 AM

102 posts, read 539,651 times
Here's another vote for Mad Fox in Falls Church. We went there last night and enjoyed their Irish Red and their Broad Street IPA.

We were sitting in a booth overlooking the courtyard and it was fun to watch the cars pull up, people run in with their empty growlers, and same people head back to their cars with their growlers filled (many people with multiple growlers with multiple brews). Happy St. Patrick's Day indeed!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM

48 posts, read 52,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Port City in Alexandria, just off the Beltway near the Telegraph Road exit. Their porter is excellent.
Very late to this thread but I have to say I spent last night drinking Port City Porter. Good stuff.

Also, I believe they brew at the Capital City in Shirlington, no?

Last edited by mcknigs; 03-18-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknigs View Post
Very late to this thread but I have to say I spent last night drinking Port City Porter. Good stuff.

Also, I believe they brew at the Capital City in Shirlington, no?
Isn't that the one where you can go with a group of friends and brew your own batch? Using their ingredients. And then you come back when it's done and bottle it and take it home. I haven't tried their beer but know friends who have done that and thought it was fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia