U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM

178 posts, read 481,945 times

Advertisements

Are you talking about the Crayola Factory? That is something that we have been trying to get to, since it's not too far a drive from us.

SO you have taken a trip down South 20+ times! Wow that's great! We have driven through Virginia several times, but have not stopped to do anything besides eat, so this will be a real first for us...and the kids have never been.

Hersey Park is AMAZING...but it's a day or a 1/2 day visit at least. I have been there once and it was like Disney with out lines. It's right before Harrisburg. we stayed in a hotel there over night, and it was so much fun! Your grandson would love it. Tours of how chocolate is made too....worth a look anyway, if you stay in that area, but you may not have the time for it, if this is a shorter trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM

178 posts, read 481,945 times
Oh, and if you are a truck driver, than surely that is fine! I just know that a few people have a hard time/anxiety driving around big trucks, so I thought I would put that out there just in case! Have a great trip!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM

261 posts, read 375,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Are you talking about the Crayola Factory? That is something that we have been trying to get to, since it's not too far a drive from us.

SO you have taken a trip down South 20+ times! Wow that's great! We have driven through Virginia several times, but have not stopped to do anything besides eat, so this will be a real first for us...and the kids have never been.

Hersey Park is AMAZING...but it's a day or a 1/2 day visit at least. I have been there once and it was like Disney with out lines. It's right before Harrisburg. we stayed in a hotel there over night, and it was so much fun! Your grandson would love it. Tours of how chocolate is made too....worth a look anyway, if you stay in that area, but you may not have the time for it, if this is a shorter trip.
Well, more then 20.

My business use to have me driving to Florida each spring, and I did that for 18 years. Then trips to Florida to see relatives maybe 6 times. Since then, our daughter had moved to New Bern, NC for 2 years, then she moved to Parris Island, SC for 2 years, and we'd drive down to see them 2 times a year. I have friends in DC, and well you get the picture tons of trips down south.

Eating well with all those trips you'd think I could tell you about ton's of places, which I could, but many have closed over the years.

We went to Hersey Park a few weeks ago, and well, it is now closed except special events or some damn thing like that? We did get to visit the Hersey Flower Gardens which was nice, it's just that we visited about 2-3 weeks to early

Yes, the Crayola Factory / Museum in Easton, PA. I guess it's called the Crayola Experience?

One of the biggest issues on this trip will be to stop and do stuff, while still getting within 3+- hours of The Natural Bridge, so we can get an early start. My wife and grandson aren't big on driving all day, just to stop for an hour and then call it a day. This means somewhere around Harrisburg, PA and Hagerstown VA by the end of the day Sunday.

Sunday will be a long day. With Easton being about 7 hours on the first leg of the trip. Staying there for a few hours (making it 3ish when we leave), then 2 hours to Harrisburg or 3 to Hagerstown, VA. If you figure a stop or 2 for gas, eating and stretching our legs, I'm thinking we check in between 6 - 8 the first night.

We may do some research and see about stopping at some of the places along the way, that folks from the Food Network talk about on TV?

If we can sneak it in, we're thinking about stopping at the reading terminal Market on the way down or back. Most likely on the way down, seeing it's only an hour and a half from Easton. Hagerstown, is only 3 hours or so from here, so we should still be able to get in at a reasonable hour. If we plan it so we're out of the Reading Market by 5, we'll be in our hotel by 8. We may stay in Harrisburg, PA if we do reading. This is about 2 hours and gets us in at a better time, and only adds an hour the next day, still getting us to The Natural Bridge before noon. Do some exploring in the area, then head up to Luray Caverns which we'll do the next day. Explore around there a bit, then head on to Scranton, PA area for the night, then back to Maine to be home by 7pm. Rest for the day, then Thursday, our Grandson, his Dad and I will be heading back to PA, for the Little League World series! Talk about one hell of a week of travel

We normally stop in Intercourse and Bird-in-a-Hand, PA when we are in the area, but this time it might be a bit much to expect we'll see. Oh, we stop here to shop at Kitchen Kettle, and the pickup 10 boxes or so of Grandma Jack's Carmel Pop-corn - this is the finest carmel Pop-corn I've ever had!

Still plenty of time to think about this, but this is looking close to what the trip will look like.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM

261 posts, read 375,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Oh, and if you are a truck driver, than surely that is fine! I just know that a few people have a hard time/anxiety driving around big trucks, so I thought I would put that out there just in case! Have a great trip!
Thank you, a great tip for those who have issues with big trucks. I for one, would much rather be on the road with a bunch of truck drivers, then on 95 with a bunch of crazy people, texting, putting on make-up, drinking coffee, eating breakfast and generally not paying attention.

I currently am fine with big trucks. I drive 40,000 miles a year, and I have found that big trucks are the least of my worries (they are professional and GENERALLY better drivers), now all the cars out there, that's another story

Skip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia