Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times

Advertisements

I think a good amount of Alexandria would be family-friendly enough. The challenge may be to fit that into your preferred budget and commute.

Perhaps give Del Ray a shot. Its Mt. Vernon Avenue is the "quintessential" Main Street with many family-friendly restaurants. As there are two elementary schools in or near the neighborhood, odds are high that day care is also nearby. It's a short commute (~10 minutes or less) to the Braddock Road Metro station. The one compromise may be in the housing. While I have not visited the collection of apartments on the south end of Mount Vernon, they aren't exactly shiny and new. I'd suggest investigating them for quality. I would predict that a 2B apt would be available in your range, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM

48 posts, read 52,469 times
I live in Alexandria near the Huntington Station. I recently had business, over the course of 3 days, near the courthouse, MPD station, and One Judiciary Square. I didn't have to go during rush hour. I was able to leave my house, park at the station, hop a train, get off at Archives and walk to those places and do it in about 35-45 minutes door-to-door.

If you're talking about traveling during rush hour I don't think you're necessarily going to save time by driving. I've been told that parking in that area, unless you have a spot in your own building by virtue of your job there, is virtually non-existent. I.e., people I talked to suggested that Metro is really the way to go.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think a good amount of Alexandria would be family-friendly enough. The challenge may be to fit that into your preferred budget and commute.

Perhaps give Del Ray a shot. Its Mt. Vernon Avenue is the "quintessential" Main Street with many family-friendly restaurants. As there are two elementary schools in or near the neighborhood, odds are high that day care is also nearby. It's a short commute (~10 minutes or less) to the Braddock Road Metro station. The one compromise may be in the housing. While I have not visited the collection of apartments on the south end of Mount Vernon, they aren't exactly shiny and new. I'd suggest investigating them for quality. I would predict that a 2B apt would be available in your range, though.
Thank you for the suggestions. I don’t mind living in an older apartment or older complex that doesn’t offer a lot of amenities. What matters most is safety and convenience and as long as I have those 2, I will be fine as I am not too picky. Most of the complexes I saw though were not walking distance to a metro, you’d have to drive or take the bus and that’s where the challenge is. If I drive to the metro, is there parking available at the station? How much do they charge for parking? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM

The garage at Huntington was recently enlarged and there is a lot of parking available in the tower. There are entrances from Huntington and North King's Highway. The Metro web site says parking is $4.75 all day. I won't guarantee that's current.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknigs View Post
The garage at Huntington was recently enlarged and there is a lot of parking available in the tower. There are entrances from Huntington and North King's Highway. The Metro web site says parking is $4.75 all day. I won't guarantee that's current.
I guess this would work if I find something close to the Huntington metro. How is that area in general safety wise? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

It varies. The area immediately around there isn't the best. People don't consider the area around Rt. 1 to be all that great and the area around the station itself isn't great. There's some crime, but I don't think it's as bad as crack houses and street gangs. I suspect you'll want to be a drive away, not a walk away, from the station.

Areas within 5 minute's drive vary between run-down and mansions and everything in between. I think some of the run-down areas are starting to get a little bit better, maybe due to gentrification caused by the attractiveness of being near the Metro.

I'm in Bucknell Manor and it's very kid friendly. If you could afford a place in Bucknell Manor or Bucknell Heights I think you would be fine. You might be fine elsewhere, I'm just not as familiar with other areas.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
It varies. The area immediately around there isn't the best. People don't consider the area around Rt. 1 to be all that great and the area around the station itself isn't great. There's some crime, but I don't think it's as bad as crack houses and street gangs. I suspect you'll want to be a drive away, not a walk away, from the station.

Areas within 5 minute's drive vary between run-down and mansions and everything in between. I think some of the run-down areas are starting to get a little bit better, maybe due to gentrification caused by the attractiveness of being near the Metro.

I'm in Bucknell Manor and it's very kid friendly. If you could afford a place in Bucknell Manor or Bucknell Heights I think you would be fine. You might be fine elsewhere, I'm just not as familiar with other areas.

To be honest, that scares me a little bit. I'd rather stay away from there then as I am not "street savvy" at all. Thanks a bunch for the info

Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I don’t mind living in an older apartment or older complex that doesn’t offer a lot of amenities. What matters most is safety and convenience and as long as I have those 2, I will be fine as I am not too picky. Most of the complexes I saw though were not walking distance to a metro, you’d have to drive or take the bus and that’s where the challenge is. If I drive to the metro, is there parking available at the station? How much do they charge for parking? Thanks!
From the apartments that I'm thinking of, it would be about a fifteen-minute walk or five minute bus ride to the Braddock Road station which is primarily geared towards buses and "kiss-and-ride" arrivals.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Actually, your suggestion of Huntington makes me think of the Cityside (formerly Belle Haven) apartments. Of the high rises on or near the intersection of Route 1 and Huntington Ave., Cityside is the most affordable and is most likely to have 2BRs in the OP's range. The Metro is a short walk from the back of Cityside.

It might also be worth checking out Riverside Apartments as well. I believe they have a shuttle bus going to and from the Metro during rush hour. Worst case scenario, the station is a three-minute bus ride or ten minute walk away from the complex entrance.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
From the apartments that I'm thinking of, it would be about a fifteen-minute walk or five minute bus ride to the Braddock Road station which is primarily geared towards buses and "kiss-and-ride" arrivals.
Do you know the name of the apartments? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia