Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM

160 posts, read 279,307 times

Advertisements

Yes, seems like DC daycare makes much more sense for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
If I can get a parking garage for $150-$200, then I'd rather do that than teh bus+metro combo since that might cost as much as well and then i am relying on metro's schedule, delay, etcc. Driving would allow me to actually find a daycare in the city so I can drop my DD off in the morning close to work and pick her up right after work which will make everything easier in case i need to pick her up ect. I am a divorced mother and don't have family in the area, so it will be hard for me to find a contingency plan to have someone pick up my daughter in case of emergency, which is why having the daycare in DC might seem like a better idea. The only thing with that is, I'd need to drive, hopping on a bus+metro and then walking with a 3 year old every day is just not doable....
keep in mind that ffx county daycare IS going to change. certain towns are going to enforce a max of 5 kids PER daycare, so get ready to dull out CASH if there is any left in nova unless its in md and dc. id know, my mom runs one on the cheaper side and shes going to be forced to close or move to loudon county.

a single woman this area honestly lacks any place where you will get mugged,raped,etc unless you are crazy enough to run in park trails at sundusk in reston/near dc.there is no ghettos here, just horny ppl who are going to whisltle 'hey baby/mama" at you. only ghetto is SE dc and PG county in md.

crap happens: you wont get all that fancy crap close to dc. sacrifices are needed so choose which itll be. i donr want to be seen as an angry guy, but youu want the pot and the kettle and its not possible on your budget.

btw id rather have my kid go to FFX county schools over ANY dc school.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
keep in mind that ffx county daycare IS going to change. certain towns are going to enforce a max of 5 kids PER daycare, so get ready to dull out CASH if there is any left in nova unless its in md and dc. id know, my mom runs one on the cheaper side and shes going to be forced to close or move to loudon county.

a single woman this area honestly lacks any place where you will get mugged,raped,etc unless you are crazy enough to run in park trails at sundusk in reston/near dc.there is no ghettos here, just horny ppl who are going to whisltle 'hey baby/mama" at you. only ghetto is SE dc and PG county in md.

crap happens: you wont get all that fancy crap close to dc. sacrifices are needed so choose which itll be. i donr want to be seen as an angry guy, but youu want the pot and the kettle and its not possible on your budget.

btw id rather have my kid go to FFX county schools over ANY dc school.

I think that change of daycares is for home daycares, not daycare facilities. My daughter is 3 so a home daycare wouldn't work for me. She currently goes to a preschool in Ashburn and I am looking for another preschool. I am familiar with the DC area, I have lived in DC ( Georgetown), MD (Bethesda) and currently VA (Ashburn) . I am just not too familiar with the Alexandria neighborhood and that’s the one that was recommended to me due to my situation. Yeh I wouldn’t want my daughter to go to a school in DC but because she has not started school yet that’s not an issue right now, and once she starts kindergarten if we are still in NOVA , she will go to one in Fairfax county most likely. I understand I need to make sacrifices to move closer to the city, right now we live in a townhome with a garage in Ashburn, and I know I can’t replicate that in Arlington/Alexandria, so that’s gonna be a big change for us. Same with daycares, my daughter’s current preschool has 2 swimming pools, a computer room, a Spanish program, soccer field, basketball court, large playgrounds ect.. all that on location and I do know I can’t have that in DC as most daycares look like they are housed in office buildings, so that’s going to be another change. I am actually wondering if this job is worth it after all….

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen391 View Post
Yes, seems like DC daycare makes much more sense for you!
I know, but most of the ones I called are full and have a waitlist and give priority to government workers first, so once a spot opens up, they offer it to agency workers first before offering It to the general public. I also visited websites and most of them look so small and sad that's why i was thinking one in the suburbs might be better ( i-e more space, playground area, ect) and then just do a longer commute

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I think you hit the nail on the head...wondering if this job is worth it. Sounds extremely stressful. I think any increase in salary would be eaten up in commuting costs, daycare and of course, how much you measure quality of life.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head...wondering if this job is worth it. Sounds extremely stressful. I think any increase in salary would be eaten up in commuting costs, daycare and of course, how much you measure quality of life.
The funny thing is, it is not really a salary increase, the position is at the same level than my current position, I am only getting a $10k increase in salary, but better benefits ( 5 weeks vacation vs 2 weeks at my current job, better healthcare & education packages, ect). I thought about taking the job because career wise, it will be a better move for me in the long run i-e more opportunity to grow in this company, better well known company, better industry, more interesting job ect.. Decisions, decisions….

Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Is your industry typically located in DC? I was in an industry that typically was downtown, but once I had my child, I did find a job 5 miles from my house. Was it the best job with the most benefits? No, but ultimately I did get a more challenging job with better benefits locally. If I were in your shoes, I would continue to look local. What seems to be better on paper, my end up making you and your daughter miserable.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Is your industry typically located in DC? I was in an industry that typically was downtown, but once I had my child, I did find a job 5 miles from my house. Was it the best job with the most benefits? No, but ultimately I did get a more challenging job with better benefits locally. If I were in your shoes, I would continue to look local. What seems to be better on paper, my end up making you and your daughter miserable.
I work in Finance, so I wouldn't say my industry is downtown,you can pretty much get a job in Finance anywhere I think. The big question for me is, are the benefits that I will be getting at the new job +an extra $10k worth the move given that career wise that company might be able to offer me more in the future?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM

I believe this boils down to being patient and continue to look for another opportunity that is similar..... just not in DC. You don't work in a unique industry so I don't think this will be the only job with career advancement that will ever come along.

I worked in DC for 11 years as single person with no children. At a certain point I decided it wasn't worth it anymore to get into DC as it really became a grind. I can't imagine doing this as a single parent. Of course everyone's tolerance is different, but I do think, at a minimum that this will be very stressful.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 52,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
To be honest, that scares me a little bit. I'd rather stay away from there then as I am not "street savvy" at all. Thanks a bunch for the info
Which is why I was suggesting driving and parking in the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia