U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 6,036 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I are currently living in a duplex in Arlintgon and are looking to buy a SFH in Lake Ridge. We were wondering if anyone has any opinions on the area around Colby Dr (the side that runs along the Occoquan Reserve). I noticed some houses in this area do not include an HOA not sure what kind of draw backs there are because of this. Any input would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,218,433 times
Lightbulb Edge of Lake Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGonzo View Post
My Fiance and I are currently living in a duplex in Arlintgon and are looking to buy a SFH in Lake Ridge. We were wondering if anyone has any opinions on the area around Colby Dr (the side that runs along the Occoquan Reserve). I noticed some houses in this area do not include an HOA not sure what kind of draw backs there are because of this. Any input would be much appreciated!
I asked a realtor last weekend about where the HOA extends and the edge of the Lake Ridge HOA is the creek bed (valley?) between Colby and Oakwood; area near the substation.

For an opinion, if I was looking along or near Colby, I'd steer north of Old Bridge and away from the area south. The homes north of Old Bridge seem to be kept in better shape. Plus, a lot of people cut through the south portion of Colby and not just during rush hour. Homes to the north of Old Bridge appear to be in range of low 300k.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,128,014 times
I agree that Colby on the south side of Old Bridge Road is not nice. Its the old part of Lake Ridge. The north side of Old Bridge Road is nicer. Look at single family homes off of Oakwood, Antietam, Mohican, and Hedges Run.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I agree that Colby on the south side of Old Bridge Road is not nice. Its the old part of Lake Ridge. The north side of Old Bridge Road is nicer. Look at single family homes off of Oakwood, Antietam, Mohican, and Hedges Run.

It was my impression that the Colby Drive homes were not actually a part of the Lake Ridge HOA (not that this really matters) but I was just wondering.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,218,433 times
Default HOA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It was my impression that the Colby Drive homes were not actually a part of the Lake Ridge HOA (not that this really matters) but I was just wondering.
Your correct. I covered the border description in my earlier reply. Lake ridge hoa begins/ends at the bottom of the hill. Colby road "side" is not under lake ridge hoa where as Oakwood is the start.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM

Yes we are looking at the north side of Colby. Seems like a very quiet neighborhood. Any idea how much the pool access would be ?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 16,071 times
My brother just bought a house off of colby, south of old bridge. Those homes were built before the HOA was formed and were given the option to join the HOA back in the day. The neighborhood declined to join. I bought a house off of hedges run in december, and our neighborhoods are very different. The easiest way to tell if the neighborhood is part of the HOA is if the houses have privacy fences. The lake ridge hoa does not allow fences over either 42 or 48 inches. Pool access is included in your hoa fees. My fees are just over 100 bucks a quarter. His neighborhood has people parking boats in their driveways, leaving Christmas decorations up, and basically doing whatever they want.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 AM

5,084 posts, read 5,359,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGonzo View Post
Yes we are looking at the north side of Colby. Seems like a very quiet neighborhood. Any idea how much the pool access would be ?
Here is the link for community pools in Woodbridge:

https://www.pwcparks.org/Swimming/Co...3/Default.aspx

The price is actually not bad, but the hours you can use the pools are extremely limited. These pools are different than the HOA ones, and if you're not part of the HOA you wouldn't have access to HOA pools.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM

617 posts, read 1,153,304 times
I can probably answer this for you since I live in the townhouse complex that's on the other side of the creek bed/valley johnsonkk mentioned, on the north side of Old Bridge but before Oakwood. That is part of the Lake Ridge HOA as well.

A good friend of mine lived in the neighborhood you're looking at (Galley Court) but moved last year to be closer to D.C. Kind of doing the reverse of you, he sold his SFH and bought a small townhouse in Arlington. I agree that the north side of Colby where you're looking is preferable to the south part of Colby. I cut through the south portion to get over to the shopping areas and many other cars do the same. The north side is quieter. I don't really like the style of homes in the area, I much prefer some of the houses over in the Antietam/Hedges Run neighborhoods, but the construction is pretty solid.

I don't know if you have kids, but the local elementasy school for the neighborhood (Rockledge) is rated a tick below (just basic Greatschools info) some of the schools further west like Antietam and Springwoods, but it still carries a relatively high rating.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Being not as far down old bridge is really attractive since we will be commuting via 123 and commuter bus to crystal city. Also not having the hoa fee attached seems nice except for no access to pools when our daughter is older. We looked at dale city first but decided to increase our budget and look in lake ridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia