Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My company is transferring me to a new job located in Ashburn. Since my wife will need to find a new job (human resources), we are trying to determine a central location that would would be a win for both of us.

So far, it seems like we would really enjoy Reston as we want to be near the new Metro, shopping and trails. Plus, we like Reston for it doesn't seem that they knocked down every tree when they built it up.

From seeing people talk about doing a reverse commute, would living in Reston be good for going back and forth to Ashburn? Would Reston be a good central location?

Obviously, immediately settling on a place in Ashburn would be perfect for me but I would worry that it could hurt my wife's chances of finding a job that would be convenient for her to commute to.

So are there any other areas we should look at such as Chantilly? Let me know what you would do especially as you might have been in the same situation as me. I know I can't be the first

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Seems to me that Reston is a good choice for you. It's somewhat more convenient to Ashburn than Chantilly (particularly if you are willing to pay for the Toll Road/Greenway) and she'd potentially have job options all over the Tysons/Dulles area. Chantilly might be preferable if you knew for sure she'd be working along Route 28 or near Manassas, but otherwise Reston seems like a more central location.

I assume, however, that you'd try to rent at first. If your wife ended up getting a job in Arlington or in Loudoun, that could affect your plans.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM

531 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Reston, Herndon, Chantilly all work. Reston has the town center. If you like the vibe of the RTC and the convenience of the metro, stay there. Some people don't like Reston because the public schools in Reston are not as stellar as some other areas in FFX. But that does not seem to be a concern to you.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Yes, our strategy is to rent first. We really want to get to know our way around and no, we don't have kids, so school choice is not a factor. Herndon and Sterling look attractive as well.

I'm thinking it's probably going to be best for us to stay in temporary housing until we can get a feel for how things run. Also, we will not have to make a quick decision on renting a place if we were to just come up for a few days.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Welcome to Reston!

I think your idea of staying in temporary housing is a good one. It may take a little while to get a rental in Reston. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

I don't know what kind of place you are looking for or your budget but here is an option to consider on Lake Thoreau and very close to the new METRO station.
11292 HARBOR CT #1292, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Reston would work just fine IMO unless you want new construction for under $500k or are very right-wing.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
If you reverse commute and don't want to take the greenway, you will probably drive out Waxpool Road. You might check out all the areas along that corridor.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Welcome to Reston!

I think your idea of staying in temporary housing is a good one. It may take a little while to get a rental in Reston. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

I don't know what kind of place you are looking for or your budget but here is an option to consider on Lake Thoreau and very close to the new METRO station.
11292 HARBOR CT #1292, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
Thanks for the info. That rental is very nice and is what's really attractive to us initially about Reston. As far as the corporate housing goes, I noticed it's very expensive. I'm checking with my company to see if we have any pre-negotiated rates to bring down the cost. I really hope we do.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
If you reverse commute and don't want to take the greenway, you will probably drive out Waxpool Road. You might check out all the areas along that corridor.
My work location will be off Waxpool Road so that is good to know

Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,888 times
Reston is very nice and central.

FYI: Ashburn is slated to get a Metro too, just might take a few more years, but you can get more into that once you get here and learn the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia