U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM

718 posts, read 1,793,102 times

Advertisements

In my front yard there is a small border type garden. Either the builder, or the previous owners, put 3 small bushes there. I don't know what type of plant they are, but I hate them. They have very sharp little spiky thorns, so I really don't know the best way to trim them. They grow little red berries in the winter. In the fall, leaves blow into them and since they are so sharp/spiky, they are a pain to clean out, so they go unmaintained and look awful.

I would like to get rid of them and plant something else, any ideas? I am NOT a gardener, and would prefer something as maintenance free as possible. Something that looks nice (flowers, pretty leaves, etc.) in many seasons is a plus. The area in question gets mostly shade in the morning, and full sun in the late afternoon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM

147 posts, read 387,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
In my front yard there is a small border type garden. Either the builder, or the previous owners, put 3 small bushes there. I don't know what type of plant they are, but I hate them. They have very sharp little spiky thorns, so I really don't know the best way to trim them. They grow little red berries in the winter. In the fall, leaves blow into them and since they are so sharp/spiky, they are a pain to clean out, so they go unmaintained and look awful.

I would like to get rid of them and plant something else, any ideas? I am NOT a gardener, and would prefer something as maintenance free as possible. Something that looks nice (flowers, pretty leaves, etc.) in many seasons is a plus. The area in question gets mostly shade in the morning, and full sun in the late afternoon.
If you want something that grows easily in NOVA, judging by my yard, I'd say clover and blackberry brambles.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM

128 posts, read 259,549 times
Bamboo seems to take pretty well here. Many people have a decorative hedge of bambo in the Falls Church area.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,064,680 times
Boxwoods do well here and can tolerate the conditions you described. They have to be shaped infrequently. You'll find several different types of boxwoods (their leaves differ, and they vary by height and width to which they grow) at garden stores and maybe at Home Depot or Lowe's. They don't flower.

Azaleas and rhododendrons have beautiful spring flowers, but they do not like full sun or exposure to wind.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM

13,512 posts, read 24,148,934 times
Quote:

That sounds like holly (we ripped ours out - Painfully!)

Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Boxwoods do well here and can tolerate the conditions you described. They have to be shaped infrequently. You'll find several different types of boxwoods (their leaves differ, and they vary by height and width to which they grow) at garden stores and maybe at Home Depot or Lowe's. They don't flower.

Azaleas and rhododendrons have beautiful spring flowers, but they do not like full sun or exposure to wind.
Thanks! I think boxwoods sound like they could be nice to replace what is there now!
(It won't let me give you reputation--I've given it to you too recently )

Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That sounds like holly (we ripped ours out - Painfully!)
I started trying to find it, and I think it actually might be barberry. One blog I saw mentioned that they were good for creating contrasting colors in gardens...which is true. It has kind of a redish/purplish leaf...but I still don't like it!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 5,836,443 times
probably crimson barberry. I have a "no thorns" rule for my gardens.

What does well here:
azaleas
hydrangeas
day lillies
daffodils
hosta (in shade, and if deer aren't a problem in your yard)
boxwood
cedar
dahlias
hellebores
sasanqua camellias (fall blooming)
forsythia
cherry trees
iris
cannas
golddust acuba (I think I'm remembering the name correctly)
magnolias (later blooming varieties)
dogwoods
crape myrtle
liriope
wygelia
spirea
shasta daisies
ornamental grasses such as zebra, fountain, pampas, etc.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,839,493 times
What will grow in your yard will depend on your environment. Is it shady or sunny? Does your yard stay wet after a rain or does the grass brown in summer? What color is your soil, is it an orangey clay or coffee grounds brown?

Best thing to do is go to the garden center nearest you and ask them. Lots of stuff grows here, but you need the plants that work for your environment, space available and amount of effort you want to put in gardening.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 29,355,952 times
Quote:
Thanks! I think boxwoods sound like they could be nice to replace what is there now!
(It won't let me give you reputation--I've given it to you too recently )
Boxwood smells like cat pee. I'd go with azaleas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia