U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,116,205 times

Advertisements

Well I can't answer your question directly, but I think that upward mobility helps. Your earnings can generally sky rocket here if you change jobs, get more education etc. This of course depends on the field that you are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
A website that compares cost of livings said, 48k in charlotte is 76 in DC. I know there is no way they're going to paying me 76k. How the heck do young professionals survive in the dmv area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM

677 posts, read 1,017,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Well I can't answer your question directly, but I think that upward mobility helps. Your earnings can generally sky rocket here if you change jobs, get more education etc. This of course depends on the field that you are in.
Thats also another thing I'm taking into consideration. This job is a management training position, in 18months I will get promoted to higher position. Going back to get my mba is still a possibility, I think? Plus my family is from Pittsburgh, so the drive back homes isn't bad compared to 8hrs from charlotte. Ugh, I'm freaking out, I have to respond to the recruiter in the a.m and its 1:30. haha

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Haha, I have a difficult deadline to respond to as well. If I have your profession down correctly (besides it just being a management position), you have some nexus to the financial industry correct?

If so, I think you might like it around here. The Treasury, World Bank, IMF, Federal Reserve, etc, are all here. If you don't like it here you will ALWAYS have something great on your portfolio should you choose to join one of these entities even as a contractor.

One thing that I will suggest is thinking LONG AND HARD about buying a place here. While real estate seems to be picking up it could also tank again. This could leave you financially married to a place that you thought you liked but aren't so sure if you do. (I am going through this right now and others have helped me along here).

I don't know about the Charlotte forum, but people here have come across as very warm when it comes to helping out with issues that surprisingly plague all of us in one way or another.

I find that the biggest problem with the area is as much of a blessing as it is a curse. Once you are here, there is more often than not turning back. It doesn't generally get any better for the middle class. I have family in other areas but there is not much to go back to after living here.

That 4 hour drive may be something that is a real boon to you. I'd come here, weigh your options on rent and get er done.

The salary you see today will not be your salary in 5 years. You may not even recognize your old salary in a few years.

Quote:
Thats also another thing I'm taking into consideration, this job is a management training position. In 18months I will get promoted to higher position. Going back to get my mba is still a possibility, I think? Plus my family is from Pittsburgh so the drive back homes is only 4 hours compared to 8 from charlotte. Ugh, I'm freaking out, I have to respond to the recruiter in the a.m and its 1:30. haha

Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,017,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Haha, I have a difficult deadline to respond to as well. If I have your profession down correctly (besides it just being a management position), you have some nexus to the financial industry correct?

If so, I think you might like it around here. The Treasury, World Bank, IMF, Federal Reserve, etc, are all here. If you don't like it here you will ALWAYS have something great on your portfolio should you choose to join one of these entities even as a contractor.

One thing that I will suggest is thinking LONG AND HARD about buying a place here. While real estate seems to be picking up it could also tank again. This could leave you financially married to a place that you thought you liked but aren't so sure if you do. (I am going through this right now and others have helped me along here).

I don't know about the Charlotte forum, but people here have come across as very warm when it comes to helping out with issues that surprisingly plague all of us in one way or another.
Umm, on a personal side yes I do have a relationship with the financial industry such as stocks, mutual funds, but not so much on the professional side. I actually received my undergrad in Hotel Management, after college did a year as assistant housekeeping manager. I happened to apply for this position, never even worked in a bank before, and God willing received an email to interview for this program. Anyway I feel banking is a solid career choose, much better than the hotel business. My beef is with the insane col in DMV!!! lol.

Your right it seem the possibilities are limitless in DC, career wise, maybe thats why the col is so high. I need to figure out whats more important to me, living in charlotte making 50k with a dope apartment and probably a new ride. Or coming to DC living in a shoe box, and keeping my old jeep.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM

Sorry it is late and I probably didn't read your post correctly. I could have sworn that I recently saw a post where several hotels have their headquarters here so that might help.

You mention an interview with a Bank, so I assume that you could/are trying to transition your career into Financials correct? If so, you can make a killing here in the long run. You just have to be smart about it and always look for a way where you can transition from one career path to another. You have to be able to convince someone but more importantly yourself of it. Many people will tell you "no", but it doesn't matter because all you need is one "yes".

Another thing is, if you are asking for career advice specific to NOVA it seems to help if you keep on posting in this forum. There is nothing like this job market and I have not had a whole lot of luck with NOVA specific job questions outside of this forum (I know that is not the entirety of what you are asking here). I have had solid luck with things that are not NOVA specific in other forums like the employment forums but this place is truly different.

You have to be pretty tough and resourceful to make it here on less money, but it certainly can be done. I was able to sustain a family of 4 in Woodbridge for 2 years on 58k and pay child support simultaneously in the amount of 6k per year. Since child support is not tax deductable, I paid taxes as if I was making 58k whereas I was only making 52k. I was the only one working.

My rent was $800 initially for a 1 bedroom in woodbridge until I moved up to a townhome for $1150. I also owned 2 vehicles and did all of the auto repairs myself in the rental property parking lot since they let me squeak by. I then took out a zero down loan for a crappy home in Spotsylvania for $1400 just after real estate peaked. Low property taxes, nice tax writeoff, on well and septic so don't have to pay until something goes wrong. Have to take your own trash to the landfill so just have to get a little dirty and spend a little gas while driving the 1 mile to the landfill.

A few months later...got a job for $104k and have been moving up ever since. YMMV

Now I have 5 vehicles, most of them old.

In the end, you do have to figure out what is right for you. I'd pick the shoe box because I promise there are even smaller shoe boxes out there than the ones here. Renting someone's bedroom out with my whole family in a recessed area because I was drastically underemployed...that was my reality.

I think that Charlotte may be a good place to make a living based upon emails that I receive for work though. I really do get tons and tons of email every day for job opportunities and I have to shut my ringer off on my phone because I get so many phone calls. Not bragging, just saying that is what really happens to me. A far cry from getting a call a week or a month in a recessed area, and then only having recruiters asking me what my situation was.

I wouldn't let the COL in the DMV put you off. Alot of it depends on how tough you are and how tough you need to be.

I live 62 miles from the city and haven't changed my username from va_lucky yet.

Is it really worth killing yourself for a while for an "x" percent increase in wages? I would argue yes, although the vast majority would argue no. That is ok too.

It depends on your circumstance and your outlook. Don't forget that family being 4 hours away though! No matter how money minded you become, family should always come first even if it is not in a conventional or status qo sense.

If I were you, I'd live here and have a tougher time but see my family when possible then smile about being able to do it easier than from Charlotte.

This VERY MUCH depends on YOU...so there is no right or wrong answer but it is good that you are seeking our thoughts.

Quote:
Umm, on a personal side yes I do have a relationship with the financial industry such as stocks, mutual funds, but not so much on the professional side. I actually received my undergrad in Hotel Management, after college did a year as assistant housekeeping manager. I happened to apply for this position, never even worked in a bank before, and God willing received an email to interview for this program. Anyway I feel banking is a solid career choose, much better than the hotel business. My beef is with the insane col in DMV!!! lol.

Your right it seem the possibilities are limitless in DC, career wise, maybe thats why the col is so high. I need to figure out whats more important to me, living in charlotte making 50k with a dope apartment and probably a new ride. Or coming to DC living in a shoe box, and keeping my old jeep.

Last edited by va_lucky; 03-12-2013 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
A website that compares cost of livings said, 48k in charlotte is 76 in DC. I know there is no way they're going to paying me 76k. How the heck do young professionals survive in the dmv area.
By finding a roommate?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

3,764 posts, read 2,971,833 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know which Branch they would be placing me. The recruiter basically told me to choose a city. Or charlotte haha (nothing against charlotte, I'm just a city kid)
I'm pretty sure Charlotte is a city, just not of the size and scope of DC. I understand wanting to be closer to family, but my understanding is that Charlotte is growing by leaps and bounds especially for young professionals. Of course, DC is also a great area for young professionals, but College Park is probably not as fun as Charlotte.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

23,570 posts, read 33,292,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I'm pretty sure Charlotte is a city, just not of the size and scope of DC. I understand wanting to be closer to family, but my understanding is that Charlotte is growing by leaps and bounds especially for young professionals. Of course, DC is also a great area for young professionals, but College Park is probably not as fun as Charlotte.
Totally ironic here. Last June I planned a vacation in Charlotte. Two days before I left I accepted a job in Arlington. So I went down to Charlotte, since I've always wanted to go there and at one time seriously considered moving there. I was less than impressed. Now I was only there 5 days but the city was a little more spread out than my liking when compared to Arlington and DC. Also, the job situation down there is NOT in good shape.

Nothing personal against Charlotte, pretty clean city with some charm, just not for me at this time.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,171,294 times
You definitely have the potential to make a lot of connections in the DC area. If you can suck up the salary for 18 months than I'd definitely do it. A lot of people can live on less. It's just knowing how to do it while still having a good time!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Quote:
Ah, the eternal question. Many end up finding a roommate or three to share an apartment or house in an area convenient to work and/or preferred nightlife. Your housing dollar will definitely not go as far in the DC area as it would in Charlotte. I would imagine that $200K would be a stand-alone house in the Charlotte area; here that might usually score you a 1BR condo, and a lower-end one at that.

NOVA and much of the DC metro is a rather transient area. It's not unusual for people to come here to make their mark with their career then move somewhere with (often) a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia