U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM

677 posts, read 1,017,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ah, the eternal question. Many end up finding a roommate or three to share an apartment or house in an area convenient to work and/or preferred nightlife. Your housing dollar will definitely not go as far in the DC area as it would in Charlotte. I would imagine that $200K would be a stand-alone house in the Charlotte area; here that might usually score you a 1BR condo, and a lower-end one at that.

NOVA and much of the DC metro is a rather transient area. It's not unusual for people to come here to make their mark with their career then move somewhere with (often) a lower cost of living.
I decided on Silver Springs, I'll try to find a basement apt in the Petworth area near the metro, or maybe downtown Silver Springs. Maybe this should be moved to MD forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
You're welcome.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 AM

Offer came back at 45, I can fight for more, or just go to charlotte.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Offer came back at 45, I can fight for more, or just go to charlotte.
When I first started working after college in 2002 I was making 28. Then 1.5 years later switched jobs/careers and it was 35. Got a promotion after a year 42. Passed CPA exam, got a raise, left job 2 years later 55. Another job switch 65. Rinse repeat. I'm now about 10 years into my career and with bonus usually well into 6 figures for compensation. That still isn't doesn't go as far as you'd think in the DC metro area, but I'm also now married and my wife brings in a pretty good salary. So with our two income household we're able to live fairly comfortably.

My point is it will be tight on 45 but it's tight for almost everyone starting out. You asked how young people do it in the DMV and that's pretty much how. You'll most likely need roommates for awhile, but as you progress in your career it'll get easier. This area provides opportunities to progress very quickly for alot of people.

Don't read this as me telling you you should move here. But just that you shouldn't be scared off by the 45 if you really want to move here but they won't go higher. Definitely try to counter and get more.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times
Any way to know what the offer is in Charlotte?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Any way to know what the offer is in Charlotte?
That's very true, oh God. I highly doubt it will be under 40k, anywhere in the country. I think.

It's kind of upsetting because national average is 48-52.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
When I first started working after college in 2002 I was making 28. Then 1.5 years later switched jobs/careers and it was 35. Got a promotion after a year 42. Passed CPA exam, got a raise, left job 2 years later 55. Another job switch 65. Rinse repeat. I'm now about 10 years into my career and with bonus usually well into 6 figures for compensation. That still isn't doesn't go as far as you'd think in the DC metro area, but I'm also now married and my wife brings in a pretty good salary. So with our two income household we're able to live fairly comfortably.

My point is it will be tight on 45 but it's tight for almost everyone starting out. You asked how young people do it in the DMV and that's pretty much how. You'll most likely need roommates for awhile, but as you progress in your career it'll get easier. This area provides opportunities to progress very quickly for alot of people.

Don't read this as me telling you you should move here. But just that you shouldn't be scared off by the 45 if you really want to move here but they won't go higher. Definitely try to counter and get more.
Thank you, for your helpful information. I'm still having mix feelings. I mean Washington DC isn't my dream place to live, that would be somewhere with a beach. Realistically thinking, I feel Dc would be a awesome place start a career like you said. But...... I need to figure out what's more important in my life. #Life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia