U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

318 posts, read 476,010 times

Advertisements

I see quite a few high rise apartment complexes in Alexandria, Arlington but very few in Fairfax County. Why not?

Instead of destroying the last bit of green left in Fairfax why not build up and not out?

A perfect example would be the development of the Fairfax Corner and Fair Oaks area in the last twenty years. They cut down a trillion trees to build countless townhouses and apartment complexes that will be a run down ghetto in thirty years. Wouldn't it be a better idea if they would have built on only fifty percent of the land and built about ten high rise apartment complexes and left the rest in park land? You would put more people in a smaller area but leave more of the land in it's natural state.

Other areas for high rise apartments would be around the Springfield Metro and Dunn Loring and Annandale where there is all the underutilized land close to Metro or the freeways.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
1. its rather too late to use hirises to fight sprawl IN fairfax, as fairfax is mostly built out. This would have been better advice in 1990. Today building densely in FFX, to the extent it fights sprawl, fights sprawl in other counties.

2. FFX actually does have quite a few older hi rises, but many are located scattered across the county, in no relation to transit, to the point one could call THEM sprawl

3. FFX is going to build transit oriented high density - because density is the only way to grow (and the county remains commited to growth) and adding density that is not connected to transit and "walkability" is a formula for gridlock

4. there is new development already in Dunn Loring, coming soon to Springfield, and maybe someday to Annandale. The county has plans for all three

5. however any dense development in those places will be dwarfed by the plans for Tysons, where the County hopes to have 80,000 new residents (present pop is just under 20k, I think and the goal is 100k) by 2050.

6. I make no forecasts about fairfax corner or fair oaks. If the orange line gets extended that will probably go far to keep them desirable for the foreseeable future

Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,936 times
My thoughts is his sprawl problem along with the economy problem are just a few of the reasons why I am finished with this stupid COUNTRY. I cannot take it anymore so I have left forever and never coming back.

I see this problem everywhere in the USA so I'm done.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,376,512 times
At some point it will have to. Sprawl is unsustainable and younger Americans want urban and walkable places. VA probably wont since a big portion of the population is hostile to smart growth. Maryland and DC are embracing smart growth.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM

939 posts, read 1,606,256 times
As for the OP, I guess they've never been to Reston, Merrifield, the Alexandria (portion) of Fairfax County, Skyline or Tysons. Granted many of the highrises in Skyline and the Alexandria portion of Fairfax are older, there's plenty of modern high rises in the other areas. Keep in mind, that highrises follow demand, access to public transit and insane land prices. Given those circumstances, Arlington and Alexandria naturally came first (moreso Arlington) simply because of transit and proximity to the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or