Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,574,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avondalemama View Post
Hey All-
I know there are a billion threads on this...but just checking once again...
My partner, 6 year old son, and I are going to be relocating to Nova area
in the next few months....My partner works in Alexandria....I am a tennis
pro and not certain where I will be....
We are looking for a nice neighborhood....very kid/family friendly....with
a great school system....I hear Fairfax is the best....it this true? We were
just there this weekend...looked at some homes...all over....saw a house we
liked in Alexandria near Kingstowne...not certain about the surrounding neighborhood...
We will be renting for the first year but looking for an area that we might buy in
as well....We can pay $3000-4000ish in rent....
Any and ALL recommendations appreciated....
Thanks....
Sandi
Fairfax county is huge, and the schools are not all the same. For a decent commute to Alexandria, you can also consider homes in Burke and Springfield. Alexandria schools are iffy - some fine, some not. You can and should check specific schools by going to fcps.edu and looking up the schools there. They have information on demographics, test scores, safety, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,500 times
What about Reston?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,130,428 times
Reston would be a bad commute. Look along Braddock or Little River Turnpike. Lots of nice friendly neighborhoods, good schools and stream valley parks.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM

727 posts, read 1,530,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
All of Fairfax County shares the same school "system". There's ~25 high schools and tons more elementary. Now that doesn't mean they're all equal, but from a curriculum and overall administrative standpoint they're the same system. The City of Falls Church and City of Alexandria each have their own single HS. Arlington County has 3 high schools. The City of Fairfax is part of Fairfax County from a schooling perspective (though separate in other matters).
I've been looking to teach in Fairfax once I am done with my schooling, and the city/county relationship is quite an interesting one. Even though FCPS oversees operations of the schools in Fairfax city, the city has some authority over the schools. Resource officers are city officers as opposed to county officers, and the city provides funding to the schools located in the city; Fairfax HS has some amazing resources compared to schools in the rest of the county.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM

406 posts, read 623,051 times
OP, what area did you decide to move to?

Thanks for this thread,

AW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia