Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,515 times

Advertisements

Hey All-
I know there are a billion threads on this...but just checking once again...
My partner, 6 year old son, and I are going to be relocating to Nova area
in the next few months....My partner works in Alexandria....I am a tennis
pro and not certain where I will be....
We are looking for a nice neighborhood....very kid/family friendly....with
a great school system....I hear Fairfax is the best....it this true? We were
just there this weekend...looked at some homes...all over....saw a house we
liked in Alexandria near Kingstowne...not certain about the surrounding neighborhood...
We will be renting for the first year but looking for an area that we might buy in
as well....We can pay $3000-4000ish in rent....
Any and ALL recommendations appreciated....
Thanks....
Sandi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avondalemama View Post
Hey All-
I know there are a billion threads on this...but just checking once again...
My partner, 6 year old son, and I are going to be relocating to Nova area
in the next few months....My partner works in Alexandria....I am a tennis
pro and not certain where I will be....
We are looking for a nice neighborhood....very kid/family friendly....with
a great school system....I hear Fairfax is the best....it this true? We were
just there this weekend...looked at some homes...all over....saw a house we
liked in Alexandria near Kingstowne...not certain about the surrounding neighborhood...
We will be renting for the first year but looking for an area that we might buy in
as well....We can pay $3000-4000ish in rent....
Any and ALL recommendations appreciated....
Thanks....
Sandi
Welcome in advance to NOVA!

Note that there are "two" Alexandrias: the City of Alexandria and unincorporated Alexandria in Fairfax County, sometimes called "South Alexandria" for shorthand.

Kingstowne is part of "South" Alexandria and is actually a very family-friendly area of newish homes and midscale retail. It's possible that the surrounding neighborhood you found yourself was, for example Rose Hill or Franconia: perfectly fine neighborhoods although without the same glossy sheen as Kingstowne. Your budget should definitely be enough for a townhouse - a popular option in expensive NOVA - and mostly likely for a SFH as well.

Fairfax County Public Schools generally teach from the same curriculum; if one relies on standardized test scores as an accurate measure, then the "best" schools have the least socioeconomic diversity and - with the exception of the magnet Thomas Jefferson (High) School of Science and Technology - have accompanying higher housing costs. Other than that, there are not IMO any "bad" schools. Opinions will definitely vary. Instead of school districts, FCPS has school pyramids: i.e. a series of high schools into which elementary and junior high schools feed.

I believe that Kingstowne will feed into Hayfield High School which, while not mentioned anecdotally as one of the "best" is not mentioned as one of the "worst", either. Your housing budget may allow for some options in the most sought-after schools although some compromises on amenities and space may become necessary.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,457,910 times
All of Fairfax County shares the same school "system". There's ~25 high schools and tons more elementary. Now that doesn't mean they're all equal, but from a curriculum and overall administrative standpoint they're the same system. The City of Falls Church and City of Alexandria each have their own single HS. Arlington County has 3 high schools. The City of Fairfax is part of Fairfax County from a schooling perspective (though separate in other matters).

Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
I believe Kingstowne splits between Lane ES and Hayfield ES - some parts of Lane feed into Twain MS and Edison HS and other parts of Lane (and Hayfield ES) feed into Hayfield SS.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM

48 posts, read 52,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Welcome in advance to NOVA!

Note that there are "two" Alexandrias: the City of Alexandria and unincorporated Alexandria in Fairfax County, sometimes called "South Alexandria" for shorthand.
Good point, and I would go beyond that to say there's two parts of the City of Alexandria -- Old Town and the West End -- and that the area of Fairfax Co. called Alexandria is large enough that simply saying South Alexandria may not be precise enough. People coming to the DC area are often advised to find housing as close to work as possible to reduce commuting. With that in mind, it would helpful if the OP could say more specifically where in Alexandria the partner will be working.

-Scott

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknigs View Post
Good point, and I would go beyond that to say there's two parts of the City of Alexandria -- Old Town and the West End -- and that the area of Fairfax Co. called Alexandria is large enough that simply saying South Alexandria may not be precise enough. People coming to the DC area are often advised to find housing as close to work as possible to reduce commuting. With that in mind, it would helpful if the OP could say more specifically where in Alexandria the partner will be working.

-Scott
Hi...and thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom...I feel so lost in the NOVA area....My partner will be working off of Edsel (SP?) rd.......but another thing is that I will be teaching tennis somewhere....we are looking for a good area/neighborhood with kids for our son...and a good school system...suggestions on areas around to consider will be greatly appreciated...we had even gone out to ashburn but that drive time for her would be way too much...we don't mind a little drive time...again looking to be around $3000-4000 in rent...could even do a little more....wish I could just snap my fingers and have it all figured out....
thanks in advance for any recommendations....
Sandi

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
I suppose I'm biased, but N. Arlington has tons of tennis courts and great schools. You could rent something in that price range. The commute to Edsal Road would be fairly easy, as most people will be driving the opposite direction in rush hour. People underestimate how much of a difference a reverse commute can be--in time and in stress.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,299 times
Kingstowne and the surrounding area will allow a really nice commute to Edsall Rd. If looking for other areas nearby, I would suggest Annandale outside the beltway. Canterbury Woods, Truro - zip 22003. You might want to take a look at greatschools.org

Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM

48 posts, read 52,429 times
I would check out Fairfax county neighborhoods such as Annandale and Springfield. I would avoid a long drive on I-95 toward the city to work. South Arlington wouldn't be a bad commute because you would be going against traffic. North Arlington is more affluent than South Arlington, more expensive and farther away, but arguably a better school experience? I've had a kid in Fairfax Schools recently and they're pretty good. I was a kid in Arlington and Fairfax schools, but not recently.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,290 times
I second the recommendation for outside-the-Beltway Annandale, maybe in the Wakefield Chapel Rd area. Lots of community pool and tennis clubs in the area, and the commute to Edsall Rd would be easy (Braddock Rd east to Backlick Rd south, go one traffic light to Edsall Rd.). Good schools and lots of families in the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia