U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM

83 posts, read 101,844 times

Advertisements

I greatly prefer going to Shalom's Kosher supermarket in Silver Spring over Koshermart in Rockville. Their new location compared to the one on University Boulevard is like night and day, since it's in the spot of a former Magruders, instead of a small store front. It's a full service supermarket with more kosher options than I've seen outside of NY. We only make the trip up from Burke about every six weeks, but it's well worth it, and we still eat at Max's (their kosher cafe) on the way home since it's still just a few minutes away. I stopped wanting to go to Koshermart for the reason you described - it's not well kept, and on several occasions we've seen meat out well past its due date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM

303 posts, read 809,709 times
I make it to Koshermart every few months and have good experiences. The bakery is great, the staff is helpful, and the restaurant is good. They have almost all the products we want (see below.) We used it for a very big catering job last year and they did a great job. All in all, no complaints.

I haven't tried Sholom yet. Do you know if they carry the breaded David Elliott chicken? It's frozen in a tray, and you just put it in the oven while still frozen - comes out delicious.

The other thing I would like to find is chopped liver made with chicken livers instead of beef.

Last edited by Doppelganger69; 03-20-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,947 times
This is something I wanted to ask -- is there a great demand for Kosher food in NoVA? Compared to, say, Maryland?

People have told me that Jews gravitate toward Maryland, not NoVA. Since then, however, I've run into quite a few of them in NoVA. From my limited observation, it seemed to me that there is a considerable number of Jewish folks in NoVA but they seem to be more assimilated types than the stereotyptical Maryland Jews.

Every single Jewish friend and acquaintance I have in NoVA seems not to observe Kashrut laws (many of them also like guns unlike the urban Jews I'd known in, say, NYC).

Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 AM

303 posts, read 809,709 times
Here are some gross generalizations: Observant Jews do not drive on Shabbat. Therefore, they will live within walking distance of their (Orthodox or maybe Conservative) synagogue. They will want to have friends around whom they can visit (by walking) on Shabbat afternoons. They may want to send their children to Jewish schools nearby. They will keep kosher and want to live near kosher grocery stores. In some lucky neighborhoods, banks will even be open on Sunday, public schools will close on Jewish holidays, and many neighbors observe a slightly different, very pleasant, rhythm to the week and year.

Virtually none of these things are available in Northern Virginia. Yes, there are a couple of Conservative synagogues, but no Orthodox that I know of (other than Chabad), and no established "Jewish neighborhood." So people who want to live within a Jewish community are going to move to Maryland, not Virginia, as long as their jobs/commutes allow them to do so.

There are still Jews here in Virginia (including those here who are talking about the kosher grocery stores!), but most don't keep kosher, because those who live here are also willing to give up not driving on Shabbat, living in a vibrant Jewish community in which they aren't a minority, etc. In other words, those who choose to live in Virginia are willing to be less observant and to assimilate to some extent.

So, these are gross generalizations, as I said, but that's why you'll find that more observant Jews are in Maryland and most of the Jews in Virginia aren't as observant. Therefore, although there are a fair number who drive to the kosher stores in Maryland periodically, or who buy kosher products at mainstream supermarkets, I doubt there would be enough business to sustain a stand-alone kosher grocery.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM

83 posts, read 101,844 times
The communities are quite different, mostly for the reasons described above. The Mantua area in Fairfax is probably the closest thing to a Jewish center, but that's still a reach. It's nothing like the much older established communities in Montgomery County. There is a decent demand for kosher food though - the Shoppers off 236 there has a very large kosher section, and the Trader Joes in the region carry at least some kosher meat and chicken. We rely on Wegmans to get us through w/ their in-store kosher deli counters and other supplies, but we still need to get to Maryland every so often (a large brisket, imported stuff from Israel). It's all manageable. I wouldn't think a kosher supermarket is sustainable here, but I do think there is sufficient demand for a kosher eatery in NoVA.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 10,721,253 times
NoVa has an estimated 70,000 or so jews. The largest single grouping is Reform (I beleive Rodeph Shalom in Falls Church/Mclean is the largest synagogue). However there are several large and important Conservative synagogues, including Olam Tikvah of Fairfax, Agudas Achim of Alexandria, Etz Chaim of Arlington, and Beth Emet of Herndon. There are no modern orthodox synagogues that I know, but there are several Chabad synagogues (an hasidic group that specialized in outreach to non-orthodox jews). There is no real concentration - the stretch on rte 236 has Olam Tikvah, the oldest and largest Chabad house, and the JCC of NoVa. Gesher Jewish day school is not far away.

Many non-orthodox jews who observe kashrut do so only at home, and are more lenient out, which reduces demand for kosher restaurants. Also many are more strict about purchases of meat. In NoVa kosher meat can be obtained that Fair City Shoppers Food Warehouse, at several Trader Joes, and at least at the Rte 29 Wegmans.

The tendency to keep more strictly out creates an additional issue. Its easier for a vegetarian restaurant to get kosher certification - some of the existing ones in the region could probably do so with little additional expense and trouble. But it would not add to their market that much, since most Conservative jews who keep kosher will vegetarian food out at a place with no certification. A meat restaurant would gain more market - but that would be a much bigger expense - both the kashrut supervision would be more intense, and they would have to buy only kosher meat, which is costly. They would likely lose almost all their business that is NOT interested in a kosher option.

At some point we will probably get a kosher restaurant, but we arent there yet. Meanwhile for folks in Mclean and nearby, Md is not far away, and for folks in arlington and other close in points there are a couple of kosher places in DC.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger69 View Post
Here are some gross generalizations: Observant Jews do not drive on Shabbat. Therefore, they will live within walking distance of their (Orthodox or maybe Conservative) synagogue. They will want to have friends around whom they can visit (by walking) on Shabbat afternoons. They may want to send their children to Jewish schools nearby. They will keep kosher and want to live near kosher grocery stores. In some lucky neighborhoods, banks will even be open on Sunday, public schools will close on Jewish holidays, and many neighbors observe a slightly different, very pleasant, rhythm to the week and year.

Virtually none of these things are available in Northern Virginia. Yes, there are a couple of Conservative synagogues, but no Orthodox that I know of (other than Chabad), and no established "Jewish neighborhood." So people who want to live within a Jewish community are going to move to Maryland, not Virginia, as long as their jobs/commutes allow them to do so.

There are still Jews here in Virginia (including those here who are talking about the kosher grocery stores!), but most don't keep kosher, because those who live here are also willing to give up not driving on Shabbat, living in a vibrant Jewish community in which they aren't a minority, etc. In other words, those who choose to live in Virginia are willing to be less observant and to assimilate to some extent.

So, these are gross generalizations, as I said, but that's why you'll find that more observant Jews are in Maryland and most of the Jews in Virginia aren't as observant. Therefore, although there are a fair number who drive to the kosher stores in Maryland periodically, or who buy kosher products at mainstream supermarkets, I doubt there would be enough business to sustain a stand-alone kosher grocery.
Thank you for the excellent explanation.

Most of my Jewish friends in NoVA (with a couple of exceptions) are really Jews-in-Name-Only (JINO?). They rarely go to synagogue, eat pork with abandon and shoot guns with me. Most of them say that *I* am more Jewish than they are (I grew up partly in NYC and speak a little Yiddish).

Funny enough, most of my Jewish friends outside of NoVA, especially those in the UK and Israel are mostly Orthodox and highly observant. But all that's probably selection bias.

Still, I AM surprised there isn't at least one "Jewish area" in NoVA. I guess NoVA is like the Borg -- "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM

429 posts, read 1,010,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
None of these delis are really kosher. Even the famous ones in New York City like Katz's and Carnegie are "kosher style."

Even if it isn't kosher, if eating at Katz's is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,981,697 times
I just want to know--looking at the subject line of this thread--how do you tell the religion of the sandwich?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM

473 posts, read 990,965 times
Great suggestions everyone. Thanks! "Kosher-style" is fine. As long as it tastes good.

Did a google search for chutzpah in Tysons and it is now closed . May have to make the trek up to fair lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia