Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,314 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
You helped me out a couple of years ago to move to ASHBURN and here i am again asking for help one more time. I am about to accept an offer in DC and i live in Ashburn The job is walking distance to Judiciary Sq and Union Station in DC. IF i do accept the position, I plan on moving as commuting from Ashburn to DC is just not feasible for me long term. Here are my constraints: I can start my job from 7h30am to 4h30pm or 8h to 5pm but i have a daughter who is 3 and currently in preschool in Ashburn ( school is open from 6h30am to 6h30 pm). How can I get back from DC before 6h30 pm if I use public transportation? Is there a bus that goes directly from DC to Ashburn and is less than an hour? will i really have to drive ( which will be costly as the job has onsite parking but it will be $20/day ) I am just trying to think what the best options are commute wise in teh short term. My plan is to move within a month of accepting the offer ( will sublet my current place in ashburn) and find a place that is convenient to Judiciary SQ. I was thinking Alexandria or Arlington, any thoughts about those areas? or other areas i should consider ( keeping in mind the constraints of having to drop and pick up my daughter from school). I am 30 years old if that matters, and I enjoy areas that are safe and have restaurants, things to do with kids as well as grown ups for night outs without the kids. I am not too crazy about bars or going out every other night so a place that is dead at night doesn't really bother me. Would like to be in a area where i can meet other young parents/professionals like myself but it is not a must. I know it is a lot to ask but these are my current thoughts. Safety is my number 1 concern. I would like to keep the rent low around 1600-1700 top. Thanks a bunch for helping and reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Look into busses going from Loudoun to West Falls Church metro. Metro in from there. Don't know if you can do that with day care constraints.

Good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 PM

How about driving? Will driving be feasible or because of rush hour, will it take forever ?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
I would take a look anywhere on the Red Line/I-270 corridor, and thus avoid the transfer from Silver to Red -- that is unless you have another reason for staying in VA (family, philosophical quibble with living in Maryland, etc.)

Urbana/Clarksburg has a lot of the Ashburn vibe from what I have heard. Frederick is a great small city. Germantown/Gaithersburg/Silver Spring might work; not sure if Rockville/Bethesda would work for you $$$-wise.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM

i don't like MD to be honest, i prefer being in VA or DC. Clarksburg will be a bit too far for me i think, especially due to daycare constraints, i-e i have to be back in whatever area i live at on time to pick up my daughter by 6-6h30 pm. Thank you !

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Bump- Any other ideas?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM

505 posts, read 765,149 times
Here is a link to the commuter bus schedules:
Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Routes, Fares & Schedules

Depending where you are in Ashburn there are several stops that may work for you (Brambleton, Dulles North, Ashburn North, etc)

Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you Shamrock. I am no longer thinking about commuting. I found someone to take over my place in ASHBURN so I am planning on moving to Alexandria before the start of my new job. Do you guys know anything about commuting from Alexandria to DC? Is it really that convenient? What parts should i look at? Stay from? Also any info on daycares in the area would be appreciated. Thanks a loT!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
I think the main challenge you will have is finding a two bedroom in your price range in the City of Alexandria (I assume you want a separate bedroom for your child). Maybe some people who live there can comment, or maybe people who live in the Alexandria area of Fairfax Co. can.

From the City of Alexandria, you could take the yellow line to and change to red just a stop or two from where you want to go. So it would be a fairly easy commute. Maybe there would be a good apartment option near the Huntington metro station.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Hi ACWhite,
I found a few of those online, the only thing is i couldn't find anything that was walking distance to a metro station. All the listings were a few miles away from the train, you had to either drive to the metro or take a bus, which adds to the commute time. In the end, even living in Alexandria , the commute will be about 45minutes to 1 hour by public transportation. That's just too much for me especially because of the constraints of daycare ( drop off , pick up time). The only way I could see this work is if I drive to DC, Maquest says about 15 minutes drive from Alexandria but with rush hour, how long does the drive take to DC? How about monthly parking options in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia