U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,703,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Being from a neighborhood does not mean you know a thing about how it is now. The poster claims nobody was friendly to her in the past--I'm very sorry for her but her description of Cascades isn't accurate anymore. IMO.

I know a thing or two about Cascades, and her comments just don't match my own experience. I continue to own property in that neighborhood, have family, friends, and tenants that live in that neighborhood, owned a business in the neighborhood, hired employees who lived in the neighborhood, and continue to be extremely active with a church in the neighborhood.

I moved to a retirement home last winter, but I've been back for two weeks now, currently staying with family and also with some friends in the neighborhood. I'll be here until November, and I'm probably going to buy another house here and move back. So, I know a little bit about what life here is like now. And here's two things I know: People who live here call themselves Virginians (despite what blueva claims), and people who live here are friendly.

I suppose it's possible Cascades was unfriendly years ago when blueva lived here... but it must have been many years ago. I've lived here since the late 90's and I've always found it to be a friendly place with plenty of housewives, retired people, and other folks hanging out during the day. Lots of people to socialize with.

If you want to make friends, try hanging out with the moms at the school bus stop. Or spend some time gardening--I like to garden and I always had people stopping by to say hello. Join one of the neighborhood women's groups, or the books clubs or the bible studies--Cascades library has a list of local book clubs to help you get connected. If someone doesn't have time to talk, don't get your panties in a twist--there are plenty of other people. Put up a sign at the gym looking for friends to go walking or jogging with. Anyone who drives around the area will see how many people are always out walking.

Seriously, if you feel Cascades is not a friendly place, the problem lies with you. This particular poster spent the whole weekend writing posts on almost every thread about how people in Richmond are sooooo superior, and how Nova sucks. If she came up to me while I was gardening and started talking that way, you can bet I wouldn't feel like talking to her. And it wouldn't have anything to do with not being a friendly person. I'm sorry, but I have very little tolerance for people who visit forums for cities they don't live in, just for the fun of taking a big dump on the people who live there. It's ok, I guess if you want to do that in the general topics, but it's really wrong to do that in threads about specific neighborhoods. People use these threads because they're moving here and need help.
You sound like a very humble, kind person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 03:36 PM

395 posts, read 398,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Since you chose to highlight this quote, I thought I'd explain.

Blueva made several comments this weekend that people from Richmond were superior because when they meet people they ask "what church do you go to?" Personally, I think this is very rude.

If I was out gardening and a stranger walked up and said "Hi, what church do you go to?" I wouldn't want to be friendly with him. I would feel this person had bad manners. IMO, that's a very personal question to ask, especially when introducing yourself. Maybe it is considered good manners in Richmond, but not here.

If you want to make friends in NOVA, try saying something like "Hi--I'm new here. What a pretty garden you're working on." Or, "I was wondering if you could tell me where the local library is?"
Well I think much MORE rude to ask what someone does for a living. That just tacky.

And Im not saying people in Richmond will go up to total stranger and ask them what church they attend. Its just that most people here are not at all uptight about "religion".

Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
According to blueva's posts, she is originally from noVA/Sterling.

Perhaps you should read posts more carefully before making these comments.
Thank you. Im actually a "he".

Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA.123 View Post
I'm STANDING AND APPLAUDING OUT LOUD FOR NORMIE!!! Way to go. I couldn't have said as well as you.

I want to let Blue know that my Mother was born and raised in Sparta, VA- family of 13 kids and they were farmers. Dirt poor. When the kids graduated from HS they moved to NOVA for jobs. My Mother is one of the most southern people that you can meet and her and my Father raised us that way even though we live in God awful NOVA (per you) (my Father was born and raised in this area).

I find you to be extremely rude and my Mother who was born and raised in the area that you speak so highly of would NEVER, EVER, EVER get on a forum board and talk like the way you do. You definetely have NOT earned my respect and my Mother would be ASHAMED that someone from her area would talk to people like this.

I agree with Normie that the problem lies with YOU and not the other people in this area.

AND I somewhat pity you that since you no longer live in this area, that you choose to spend your day getting on this board to do nothing but bad mouth this area. Please, get a new hobby.
Im sorry if I offended anyone. I can only speak from my own personal experiences with people in the area. As I spent my childhood there and lived there til I was 18 years old.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,308,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Im sorry if I offended anyone. I can only speak from my own personal experiences with people in the area. As I spent my childhood there and lived there til I was 18 years old.
It's the way you come off. I've actually been offended by you in the past and I personally try and avoid your posts. Perhaps that is something you should think about.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,647,892 times
Quote:
As I spent my childhood there and lived there til I was 18 years old.
HUGE differrence in "growing up" somewhere and living there as a working adult.
All the HS social stigmas etc are still with you about pre-concieved notions of a place and how you were treated etc...

I went to HS in HOuston, TX in the Houston public school system. I had a great time etc... but as an adult NO WAY in Hell would I want my kids to attend those schools.

Alos conversly my husband grew up in upstate NY in the country...hated it couldn't wait to get away etc... hated the people etc... BUT...now that we are older and have kids we could easily see ourselves moving back and having a more simple life.

NO way would I judge a place based on my expirences up to age 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or