Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,852,003 times

Advertisements

The thing about Sugarland Run is... it's ok right now, but whenever I go over there I get the feeling it could become the next Sterling Park. It's just a little bit shabby, the drivers are more reckless, there are people hanging out that make you feel a little uncomfortable. Not REALLY uncomfortable... but I wouldn't go walking around that neighborhood after 10 at night.

IMO, if you can possible afford Lowes Island, Riverbend or Countryside it's worth it. Those homes are, for the most part, holding their value during this housing market crunch, and there's a reason for that. Lowes Island is my personal favorite, and if you really look for it you could find a house in your price range, especially at this time of year. It isn't that much more expensive than Sugarland Run. It's really worth it to buy a smaller house in Lowes Island or Countryside than a larger house in Sugarland Run (IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 PM

192 posts, read 261,935 times
It's nicer than PWC. I would avoid SP, though.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,898 times
It's called Pot Falls for a REASON, people. Go visit the schools before you make a decision -- even if you don't have kids, looking at schools gives you a good idea of the "flavor" of the neighborhood. Many of us (unlike 5stones) enjoy a little diversity in our lives, and are not threatened out of our minds if some of our neighbors are Latino.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz422 View Post
It's called Pot Falls for a REASON, people. Go visit the schools before you make a decision -- even if you don't have kids, looking at schools gives you a good idea of the "flavor" of the neighborhood. Many of us (unlike 5stones) enjoy a little diversity in our lives, and are not threatened out of our minds if some of our neighbors are Latino.
Ummm, are you sure you mean Potomac Falls? Wow, you'd have to really have some racial issues if you were threatened by the 2 or 3 kids you might see up there. If you have a problem with the diversity in Potomac Falls, I doubt you'll find any place in Northern Virginia appealing.

But it's good advice to visit Potomac Falls High School. And while you're in the neighborhood, drive east on Algonkian to the local Bloom. I always think grocery stores tell you a lot about a neighborhood. The Cascades library is another place that will give you a good gauge of your neighbors.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 AM

395 posts, read 519,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingahouse View Post
My husband and I are looking for houses in the Sterling area and just wanted some opinions on the area. Although we're both from NoVa we're woefully unfamiliar with the area. We'd like a relatively family friendly area with decent schools and low crime. There is actually a house we're interested in so thoughts/comments/recommendations would be greatly welcomed (re: specific areas to avoid/target, etc.). Thanks!
I can, because I grew up there . I spent most of my early life there.

I will tell you- Sterling Park is just awful. A lot of gangs- and illegals. There is not heavy crime, but there is some. Mostly ugly ranch style houses. There is Old Sterling- which is basically a church, a bookstore and a railroad track and not much else. It wasnt much when it was there either.

I lived in Countryside/Cascades area (which incidently has a 'Sterling" address) - that area is very much like anywhere else in NOVA- Fairfax, etc. People just come and go to work, dont really say hello or anything. Housing prices are still expensive there, but have dropped I have heard. Sterling is in within easy distance to Leesburg and points west- which is much nicer, IMO.

Sterling schools are supposed to be better than most of the state, but from my experience they had rough elements to them. I went to Seneca Ridge Middle School and they had drugs there. This was back in the early 1990s. They have built a new high school in Cascades though that is pretty good. Also they have Medex- which is an easy medical access care facility. And then NOVA hospital is right down the road.

Hope that helped.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 100,445 times
Default Crime Reports

This might help....
Search CrimeReports.com

One more site to look at:
Virginia State Police

Environs in another good neighborhood to look at. It is right behind the Regal on Rt 7.

Last edited by not2creative; 09-20-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: added a neighborhood

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM

2,489 posts, read 3,385,947 times
Default Inappopriate advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

Perhaps people are not friendly to you because you make a point of telling people how you are not from NOVA, and how you don't like the people in NOVA. I've read several posts from you today--in each one you make a point of saying how you're from Richmond, and that you not only think you're better than people from NOVA, but in general you think people from NOVA suck. You make snide assumptions that all people from NOVA behave in exactly the same way, which only underlines that you really don't know anything about NOVA, which is extremely diverse.

And then you complain that people aren't friendly to you. LOL--Gee, I can't imagine why that would be. Maybe if you didn't go around telling people that you think you're better than them, you'd make more friends.

Also, when you meet someone the polite thing to ask is something like "what's fun to do around here" or "what sort of things do you like to do" not what church do you go to. That's extremely personal and could be offensive to a lot of people. For all your bragging about manners, I don't think you have very good manners at all. IMO.
According to blueva's posts, she is originally from noVA/Sterling.

Perhaps you should read posts more carefully before making these comments.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,848,313 times
Quote:
suz422

Junior Member Join Date: Sep 2008
2 posts, read 129 times

It's called Pot Falls for a REASON, people. Go visit the schools before you make a decision -- even if you don't have kids, looking at schools gives you a good idea of the "flavor" of the neighborhood. Many of us (unlike 5stones) enjoy a little diversity in our lives, and are not threatened out of our minds if some of our neighbors are Latinos
WOW...YOU have some nerve.

I never stated one neighborhood was better than another due to RACE...I never brought it up...YOU DID!
for all you know I could be black,latino,indian,white or asian etc....

I was giving info on CRIME, Schools and Re-sale value etc....

way to contribute to the board and dig up a year old post to trash talk instead of giving advice etc...

Just so you know....even some of the most expensive neighborhoods in Loudoun and Fairfax county are VERY diverse...and IF you had bothered to read any other Threads you might have noticed that was one of MY FAVORITE things about NOVA.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Also, when you meet someone the polite thing to ask is something like "what's fun to do around here" or "what sort of things do you like to do" not what church do you go to. That's extremely personal and could be offensive to a lot of people. For all your bragging about manners, I don't think you have very good manners at all. IMO.
Since you chose to highlight this quote, I thought I'd explain.

Blueva made several comments this weekend that people from Richmond were superior because when they meet people they ask "what church do you go to?" Personally, I think this is very rude.

If I was out gardening and a stranger walked up and said "Hi, what church do you go to?" I wouldn't want to be friendly with him. I would feel this person had bad manners. IMO, that's a very personal question to ask, especially when introducing yourself. Maybe it is considered good manners in Richmond, but not here.

If you want to make friends in NOVA, try saying something like "Hi--I'm new here. What a pretty garden you're working on." Or, "I was wondering if you could tell me where the local library is?"

Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM

55 posts, read 198,845 times
I'm STANDING AND APPLAUDING OUT LOUD FOR NORMIE!!! Way to go. I couldn't have said as well as you.

I want to let Blue know that my Mother was born and raised in Sparta, VA- family of 13 kids and they were farmers. Dirt poor. When the kids graduated from HS they moved to NOVA for jobs. My Mother is one of the most southern people that you can meet and her and my Father raised us that way even though we live in God awful NOVA (per you) (my Father was born and raised in this area).

I find you to be extremely rude and my Mother who was born and raised in the area that you speak so highly of would NEVER, EVER, EVER get on a forum board and talk like the way you do. You definetely have NOT earned my respect and my Mother would be ASHAMED that someone from her area would talk to people like this.

I agree with Normie that the problem lies with YOU and not the other people in this area.

AND I somewhat pity you that since you no longer live in this area, that you choose to spend your day getting on this board to do nothing but bad mouth this area. Please, get a new hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia