Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,684 times

Advertisements

Hi - My husband and I are considering moving to Round Hill, VA in the near future. However, I work from home and neither Verizon or Comcast are offered in the area we wish to move. What options do we have for internet service? I need reliable, fast internet since I work from home full time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

531 posts, read 1,425,658 times
Unfortunately, you don't have much choice. I used Roadstar and Verizon DSL before Comcast became available in my community. The DSL Was slow but better than dial up. Roadstar was faster than the DSL but cost more. I know some other folks choose to use satellite but I don't have personal experience.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Thanks newnewsmama! Was Roadstar reliable or were there a lot of outages? Is it a lot slower than the Comcast service you have now?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells13 View Post
Thanks newnewsmama! Was Roadstar reliable or were there a lot of outages? Is it a lot slower than the Comcast service you have now?
I used Roadstar quite a few years ago. They were reliable back then. I can't compare their speed today with Comcast because all the companies today offer faster service than they did years ago.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 AM

735 posts, read 1,166,144 times
Verizon FiOS is also coming to Round Hill via Purcellville. If you are ever traveling through Round Hill, there is a newly installed FiOS Hub on the corner of Magic Mountain Dr where it intersects Evening Star Drive (the road with Round Hill Elemetary school on it).

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Verizon FiOS is also coming to Round Hill via Purcellville. If you are ever traveling through Round Hill, there is a newly installed FiOS Hub on the corner of Magic Mountain Dr where it intersects Evening Star Drive (the road with Round Hill Elemetary school on it).
I hope Verizon Fios comes to Purcellville. However, in another post someone said that Fios is not coming to purcellville any more because of a dispute with the town.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM

45 posts, read 62,333 times
My friends say that Loudoun Wireless is good and fast, but I don't know if they are in Round Hill.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 AM

735 posts, read 1,166,144 times
Default FiOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
I hope Verizon Fios comes to Purcellville. However, in another post someone said that Fios is not coming to purcellville any more because of a dispute with the town.
If that is true. I don't know how that would affect Round Hill. They are two different cities/towns. If there is a dispute with the local government in Purcellville and Verizon, I don't think that would extend to Round Hill. Unless the franchise agreement for Purcellville also covers Round Hill.

Verizon has had the FiOS equipment in the Purcellville CO for a number of years. I was suprised when I realized they were finally running the fiber out to the community.

If any Round Hill residents are reading this, next time you see a Verizon truck in your community or techs working on that FiOS hub, I would ask them about when the company plans to launch the service. They would know better than anyone.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,933,632 times
My sister lives in Round Hill and they had to get Hughes net for reliable service.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like Hughes Net, RoadStar, and Loudoun Wireless are all options. Anyone have experience with using a wireless hub? Would love if Verizon Fios would expand out that way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia