U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM

42 posts, read 100,880 times

Advertisements

Different people have different thresholds when it comes to a commute. Personally, I can put up with about an hour one way. And in NoVa, commute time plays a big factor in where people will live.

But what about workplace flexibility/telecommuting. Are you willing to put up with a longer commute in exchange for more flexibility in your job? If so, how much?

My company is reviewing workplace policies on flexibility and telecommuting, and it's made me stop and think, would I put up with a longer commute in exchange for being able to work from home a few days a week? Personally, I think I might be willing to do an hour and a half at most if it meant I could work from home a solid 2 or 3 days a week.

What about you that already do have flexibility? Does it play a factor in how long it takes you to get into the office when you do go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM

13,103 posts, read 19,941,349 times
I am tired of long commutes.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,581,124 times
When we purchased our house, I had a very strict radius I was willing to look in. At least 10 minutes in the car (to decompress and switch out of work mode), but no more than 30.

No, working from home would not make me want to put up with a longer commute other days. I have done the hour long commutes and they are absolutely miserable for me. I get depressed and frustrated in traffic, and it is not good for my marriage Plus, then I end up spending my "work from home day" doing laundry and dishes and all the things I didn't have time to do during the week because it took me forever to get home. Which means I don't do a heck of a lot of "work" while I'm "working".

Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,322,706 times
I have flexibility (including telecommuting) and a 20 minute commute. I will only tolerate this combination. I have kids in school and need to be able to have a short commute home to easily tend to after-school/evening activities.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
I did a 45 minute commute in KY for a few months. That would be my limit. It is nice to have only a 10 min max commute that I have right now. Saving that time in commute does wonders for you, from personal experience.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,710,285 times
I have found, for me, it isn't necessarily the length of the commute; it's the type of commute. I do 1.5 hours each way, and that is infinitely better than my previous commute of 45 minutes. Why? My commute now is primarily distance and very little "traffic". Before, it was "stop and go" the whole time

So, I can do 1.5 hours, no problem; but only about 25 minutes of "traffic".

Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,184,299 times
I currently have a 1 - 1.5 hour commute each way on average. In the mornings I leave really early so generally it is only about 50 minutes. I hate it. I previously had a 1 - 1.5 hour commute in the afternoons at a previous job and it didn't seem that bad because it was primarily interstate stop and go traffic. Now, I have a short amount of time on the interstate and more time at stop lights which is infuriating when I'm behind people who would rather be talking or texting than driving. I get so frustrated.

I agree - it is the type of commute which makes a difference for me.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,537,116 times
I used to commute up 95/395 every day from Dale City to Capitol Hill. It was 65-70 miles round trip, and it usually took about 45 minutes door-to-door ... but on memorable occasions it could take 3-6 hours. I did that commute for 28 years. I'm not sure I got used to it so much as I got numb to it.

Two things helped. First, the majority of the distance covered was on the interstate, with some stop-and-go at either end of the trip. And second, I was always in a carpool ... and for about five year, a van pool ... and having company on the trip really helped.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 AM

254 posts, read 363,568 times
10-15 minutes. I refuse to waste my life driving to and from work. It makes zero sense. Time is the most valuable commodity. Right now I live about 1.5 miles away door to door and it takes me about 5 minutes. If the 1 traffic light I go through is red, it might take 6.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,434,790 times
Definitely a lot of factors that could change my answer. One I will add is that it depends upon how set my work hours are. My previous job had very unpredictable hours - on a slow day, I might work a normal work day. On other days, I might be in the office until midnight. My current job has very set hours and I am rarely in the office past a certain time. I am willing to tolerate a longer commute with my current job than my previous job.

That said, I have always felt than anything over an hour door to door starts to feel really painful, regardless of the type of commute. In our house hunt search recently, that was pretty much my primary criteria when it came to location - could I get to work in an hour or less. If not, it really would have had to have been the perfect house and, even then, I really couldn't see going over an hour and 15 minutes door to door. Maybe I would have pushed it to an hour and a half, but I don't think so. Luckily, the house we found is just about an hour door to door - sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more, but generally pretty consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia