U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM
 
146 posts, read 256,906 times
Reputation: 242

Advertisements

I've heard that popcorn ceilings were designed to absorb noise and reduce the echo effect. I can't imagine anyone actually thought they looked nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: DC Metro
20 posts, read 61,314 times
Reputation: 61
If you do decide to do something about it you'll definitely want to hire someone. My fiancé started DIYing it and it was an absolute PITA. There's a bunch of different ways to do it, some of which are cheaper and less labor intensive, so you'll want to make a decision on that before having someone start.

Make sure to get a bunch of quotes. We asked the person who had done some other work on our house to do it and he wanted almost $1,000 a room which we later found out was because he hates doing it. We decided to go with someone who wanted $3,000 for 1500 sqft after reading that $1-2 a square foot was about average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM
 
939 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBennett View Post
If you do decide to do something about it you'll definitely want to hire someone. My fiancé started DIYing it and it was an absolute PITA. There's a bunch of different ways to do it, some of which are cheaper and less labor intensive, so you'll want to make a decision on that before having someone start.

Make sure to get a bunch of quotes. We asked the person who had done some other work on our house to do it and he wanted almost $1,000 a room which we later found out was because he hates doing it. We decided to go with someone who wanted $3,000 for 1500 sqft after reading that $1-2 a square foot was about average.
3K sounds reasonable. Was that for removing them and redoing the sheetrock ? How did it turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,442,945 times
Reputation: 638
The grass is always greener...as unsightly as popcorn ceilings are, my flat/smooth ceilings are riddles with nail pops, minor paint cracks, seams, etc. As the structure settles, more and more shows. My house was built in the mid-70s, so there's lots to show now! I'd prefer a textured ceiling to hide the imperfections, though I obviously don't want to go popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
 
181 posts, read 368,928 times
Reputation: 110
a buried swimming pool creates disclosure issues. A buried popcorn ceiling? Not something I would want hanging over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Eagle River
66 posts, read 62,190 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
a buried swimming pool creates disclosure issues. A buried popcorn ceiling? Not something I would want hanging over my head.
You have to do the research on pop corn ceilings. Asbestos is bad if you work in a factory making it. Living in a house with it isn't really dangerous by any means. Asbestos became a "danger" once lawyers smelled blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Reputation: 3857
You people have no taste. Popcorn ceilings are beautiful. If you stare long enough, you can pretend you're in an airplane, looking down at the Alps or the Himalayas.

Growing up, we not only had popcorn on the ceiling; we also had random bits of glitter--so that looking up from the bed, it was as if I were staring into the heavens, the constellations winking in their lonely glory.

Of course, the glitter bits were not arranged to even approximate the layout of the actual night sky.

Maybe that's why I got a C in astronomy.

It would be funny to see a "House Crashers" show where they prank the homeowners by "renovating" their house to have shag carpeting, mirrors with the gold marble pattern running through them, plaid wallpaper, cheap paneling, popcorn ceilings, etc. Then see the homeowners try to feign being pleased. (The show could then re-renovate with the good stuff.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 04-04-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,188 times
Reputation: 10
I did it my condo. It is messy, but worth it! we soaked it completely and scraped. be careful not to cut into the drywall, that becomes a pain to patch and creates a ton of sanding which is twice the mess! Still worth the trouble though. Nothing updates an old condo better then smooth ceilings.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,684 times
Reputation: 10
We had this textured stuff in our skylights throughout the house. It was amazing how much dust was created by removing it. We had contractors in to paint and they removed it from skylights in our family room and master bath. The job was finished months ago and I'm still finding items covered with the dust. Our contractors attempted to seal off the areas where they were working but there was no containing the dust. I would never want to do this myself. Definitely protect your lungs if you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
1,342 posts, read 1,387,157 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You people have no taste. Popcorn ceilings are beautiful. If you stare long enough, you can pretend you're in an airplane, looking down at the Alps or the Himalayas.

Growing up, we not only had popcorn on the ceiling; we also had random bits of glitter--so that looking up from the bed, it was as if I were staring into the heavens, the constellations winking in their lonely glory.

Of course, the glitter bits were not arranged to even approximate the layout of the actual night sky.
My folks had popcorn ceilings with glitter put in a house in the 70's. I asked them what are you thinking? But they just shrugged and sat back down on their orange stripped 7 foot sofa. Today I believe builders put it in because it is cheaper than using a drywaller that can install and tape a level ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top