Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times

Advertisements

As a contractor, I sometimes get offers to work there. As I head South in the morning, I notice that 95 is pretty badly backed up (at least from the north in the right hand lane). Everyone seems to be crawling and Fort Belvoir North's site is still very far away when I notice this.

Is this a cluster to get to from the South as well?

Is there any particular shift that doesn't back traffic up onto 95?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
As a contractor, I sometimes get offers to work there. As I head South in the morning, I notice that 95 is pretty badly backed up (at least from the north in the right hand lane). Everyone seems to be crawling and Fort Belvoir North's site is still very far away when I notice this.

Is this a cluster to get to from the South as well?

Is there any particular shift that doesn't back traffic up onto 95?
I used to work there and commuted from the north. That exit ramp backs up because there's a light at the top on the other side of the bridge. Also, certain people like to wait until the last minute and cut over on the long line stacked up there. I found that my commute to Ft Belvoir (if arriving after 7AM) generally went like this: 15-20 minutes to drive from Tyson's to the exit on 95S, then an additional 20 minutes of sitting in that crap and fighting to get into the base.

Leaving in the afternoons is actually worse. Due to untimed lights on FFX County Parkway, it will often times back up as far as the bridge for Telegraph road. I used to cut through on some backroads to knock a few minutes off, until the police decided to do a speed trap at the bottom of a hill where the speed limit was 25 on a road designed for 45.

The only thing about working there I miss is the PX had a fast food cheesteak place that was pretty good.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I used to work at Belvoir South and loved the commute from Arlington. 395 was faster than taking the GWMP but more stressful. I would take the one exit (that takes you past the new Patriot Ridge building, then past a tiny mosque, then via some back roads to FCP. From there it got annoying and hairy for about a mile, until I got past Kingman Gate.

OP: You could take GWMP and then come back up through Belvoir (via Walker or Tully Gate). Some lights on Gunston Road/Belvoir Road, but possibly better than what you hit coming south on that stretch of FCP.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
If you're talking about NGA's new building on Fort Belvoir North area (Google Maps), its not a nightmare to get to most of the time. The line of traffic getting off I-95 South is for Fairfax Cnty Pkwy South, most headed to the other part of Fort Belvoir.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
If you're talking about NGA's new building on Fort Belvoir North area (Google Maps), its not a nightmare to get to most of the time. The line of traffic getting off I-95 South is for Fairfax Cnty Pkwy South, most headed to the other part of Fort Belvoir.
Isn't the parking at NGA a PITA, though?

(I assumed the OP was talking about DLA and that area.)

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Isn't the parking at NGA a PITA, though?

(I assumed the OP was talking about DLA and that area.)
My statements also refer to the DLA area of Ft Belvoir.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Thanks for the posts...was referring to the "non-DLA" area...I worked over at DLA for a bit...know that commute as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Accckkk, that's what they did to Rolling Rd! Depending on where you are coming from Rolling Rd might be an option. Rolling used to go straight through and it looks like it has been rerouted to make way for the parkway. Anyhow if you are coming from Braddock Rd or Burke, Rolling would be an alternative just watch out for school buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia