U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

244 posts, read 483,477 times

Advertisements

Another thing I like about Northern Virginia is the trees and grass and vegetation. We have big tall text-book examples of trees flanking the streets and highways. We have nice looking grass growing everywhere the trees are not. We have a diverse collection of shrubs and other vegetation that grows in the area. This is everywhere from the rolling hills and back roads of Loudoun county to the National Arboretum. The greenery is simply awesome for such a large metropolitan area.

I haven't really seen any other similarly well vegetated large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM

513 posts, read 806,489 times
World class shopping at Tysons2. Not an abundance of obese people in Fairfax like other parts of the state (Richmond, Hampton, Roanoke).

Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM

2,980 posts, read 3,728,145 times
weather is certainly NOT one of the benefits

Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
weather is certainly NOT one of the benefits
I would disagree. I think we get the best of all worlds, with fantastic weather for almost 6 months of it. A few months it is too hot (but some people love that), and a few months it is too cold (but also liked by some).

Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,969,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I would disagree. I think we get the best of all worlds, with fantastic weather for almost 6 months of it. A few months it is too hot (but some people love that), and a few months it is too cold (but also liked by some).
Having lived in very cold places (New England) and very hot places (Texas), we have it so easy here. A couple of snowfalls a year, maybe 1-2 hottish months, no hail, no tornadoes, no hurricane damage or evacuations, no flooding except for parts of Old Town--this is the best you can get. Unless you're willing to trade the minimal snow and minimal heat for constant drizzle and move to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,576,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Having lived in very cold places (New England) and very hot places (Texas), we have it so easy here. A couple of snowfalls a year, maybe 1-2 hottish months, no hail, no tornadoes, no hurricane damage or evacuations, no flooding except for parts of Old Town--this is the best you can get. Unless you're willing to trade the minimal snow and minimal heat for constant drizzle and move to the Pacific Northwest.
Disagree. Santa Barbara was between 50-80 all year long. I did not own a winter coat or have air conditioning in my house.

'course, unless you are in specific job industries it's a little dicey to find employment there.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,477,782 times
O'Malley and his cronies aren't running the area.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,969,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Disagree. Santa Barbara was between 50-80 all year long. I did not own a winter coat or have air conditioning in my house.

'course, unless you are in specific job industries it's a little dicey to find employment there.
But you have wildfires--so there!

Ok, I admit that does sound pretty good if you can escape the fires, landslides, and double-digit property-tax rates.

But realistically, what's a 3BR house run in SB these days, if you can still find one?

If money were no object, many of us would spend summers in Maine and winters in Key West. (I'd spend winters in CO, summer and fall in VT, and spring here.)

Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM

47 posts, read 99,666 times
Quote:

South Bay area also has great weather and wonderful scenery and more jobs than Santa Barbara but both South Bay and Santa Barbara don't have beautiful fall foliage color and there is no snow in the city, besides they are both in CA which is associated with higher income tax and other problems.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:

Yes, that is lovely weather, but, as you say, it's the same ALL YEAR ROUND. Personally, I love seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia