Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My husband and I had the same thought process. Any FSBO was immediately thrown out of the search. Just a headache I didn't want to deal with as a first time buyer.
I try to avoid FSBOs when buying investment properties, but I have bought a few.

However, I insist on a discount. Cut me in on the savings, eh?

I also do an intense inspection because I already know the guy is a tightwad, and I have to wonder what other corners have been cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most home sales by a huge percentage result from yard signs, versus MLS, open houses, newspaper ads or other means.
You may well be totally right - I certainly dont have any facts that would indicate anything to the contrary, but it just seems surprising to me based upon my recent home buying experience. Once my wife and I narrowed down the areas in which we were interested, we just searched night and day for listings online (primarily using Redfin). The only driving around we did was to check out neighborhoods. Even if we saw a yard with a for sale sign, I would have immediately gone to my Redfin app to see the details. If a home didn't look to have at least some of the things we were looking for in its online listing, I would not have even bothered to go look at the house. I remember some listings where the house looked nice and it was in a neighborhood we liked, but there were no interior pictures included in the online listing - never went to see any of these houses because I just figured I would be wasting my time.

If most home sales currently result from yard signs, I would think that has got to be changing as the younger generations start to buy homes. For them, I think if you don't have at least a basic listing with facts and pictures available online, you aren't even going to get them to come see your house.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
most yard signs due nothing more than generate a potential buyer that the listing agent can roll into another home, as most houses in the DMV market are going under contract within days (if priced appropriately and in a desirable locale).

I'd much rather have an MLS auto email running that would put a potential home into a buyers inbox the moment it hits the market. especially with how quickly homes are going under contract.

sorry for the ramble

Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I try to avoid FSBOs when buying investment properties, but I have bought a few.

However, I insist on a discount. Cut me in on the savings, eh?

I also do an intense inspection because I already know the guy is a tightwad, and I have to wonder what other corners have been cut.
I'm not a tightwad and I'm considering doing a FSBO because I could use any extra money in my pocket at this point in time. Houses in my neighborhood have had contracts within 48 hours for the last couple of years. Why should I pay a lot of money to a realtor when more than likely, it will sell very quickly? I am going to replace a cracked window, repaint, put all fresh carpet in, etc....

10 years ago both the buyer's agent and my agent almost botched the sale of my house....they certainly did not do either one of us any favors. The buyer wound up contacting me directly and it turns out....the realtors were making issues....but we were not. Sure left a bad taste in my mouth that I paid them all that money....and they caused a lot of stress to the both of us.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
definitely try to do a FSBO and save yourself a bunch of money

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I'm not a tightwad and I'm considering doing a FSBO because I could use any extra money in my pocket at this point in time. Houses in my neighborhood have had contracts within 48 hours for the last couple of years. Why should I pay a lot of money to a realtor when more than likely, it will sell very quickly? I am going to replace a cracked window, repaint, put all fresh carpet in, etc....

10 years ago both the buyer's agent and my agent almost botched the sale of my house....they certainly did not do either one of us any favors. The buyer wound up contacting me directly and it turns out....the realtors were making issues....but we were not. Sure left a bad taste in my mouth that I paid them all that money....and they caused a lot of stress to the both of us.
I've bought and sold dozens of houses, and I'm not trying to say there are no bad real estate agents, there are, especially during booms. But in my experience, the good ones are worth their commission (my main guy charges 4%). There are so many things that can go wrong in a real estate transaction that I prefer to leave it to the pros.

I know some FSBOs that paid dearly for disclosure errors, discrimination claims, etc.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Here's the bottom line....I don't want to do a FSBO on my house, but I super need as much $$. The home is less than 10 years old and since they sell so quickly in my neighborhood....I'm not sure why I should pay full price for two real estate agents to do a very easy deal. And, I am intending on paying the buyer's agent...I don't expect them to do it for free. Any agent out there that wants to cut a deal, feel free to contact me, lol .

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Here's the bottom line....I don't want to do a FSBO on my house, but I super need as much $$. The home is less than 10 years old and since they sell so quickly in my neighborhood....I'm not sure why I should pay full price for two real estate agents to do a very easy deal. And, I am intending on paying the buyer's agent...I don't expect them to do it for free. Any agent out there that wants to cut a deal, feel free to contact me, lol .
It's against the TOS of the website to contact someone, even if they say it is okay.. You're free to initiate contact though, should you see that someone has in their title that they are an agent..

Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM

kww - I will certainly take that into consideration. You never know. LOL, and I did see that.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM

162 posts, read 359,160 times
Check out zillow. There is a "make me move" feature (or something like that). You can list your house as for sale and put up pictures. I've heard of a few people using this lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia